Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apparently did not realize the potential health issues until recently. My reloading bench is in my garage. Sometimes I’m running the Dillon 550 at one end while the corn cob is tumbling at the other. In the warmer months the double garage door is open. What is advisable? Dust mask? Disposable rubber gloves, etc? Thx

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
2,041 Posts
I apparently did not realize the potential health issues until recently. My reloading bench is in my garage. Sometimes I’m running the Dillon 550 at one end while the corn cob is tumbling at the other. In the warmer months the double garage door is open. What is advisable? Dust mask? Disposable rubber gloves, etc? Thx
Large trash can or tub over the tumbler to confine the dust?
Safety glasses/goggles?
Disposable gloves?
Kevlar gloves?
Kevlar sleeves?

·
Registered
21,888 Posts
I dry tumble in the garage. I use a dust mask when opening and removing/sorting brass. I don't wear gloves, just thoroughly wash my hands afterwards.

Reactions: SBray

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Before I wet washed, I dry tumbled. It was dusty, very dusty. I found I could keep the dust down by adding a capful of mineral spirits to the corncob media. Also add 1" strips of paper towel (or USED dryer sheets) to attract and hold the dust. They helped; but there was still dust on the cap and the central part of the agitator. More dust as you fished out brass from the media, or used a media separator. Then you handled the brass which had some dust. I did that for 26 years.

Four years ago I went with Citric acid washes. No dust, and almost the same results. Two years ago I got into SS pin washes. It's been great. Don't know why I waited so long. The only nasty part is the first flush of dirty water down the drain, and you don't have to touch that at all. Brass comes out clean inside and out.

I'll never go back to try tumbling of dirty cases.

·
Registered
37,601 Posts
I usually tumble in my workspace when I am not there. Keep the lid on. Then when dumping, upwind. Yeah it is dusty, but I cant make myself do the extra steps of wet cleaning. Change the media when it starts getting really dirty. New shows almost no dust.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
For dry tumbling. When you put the media in the first time. I use 50/50 walnut and corn cob. Take the tumbler outside and put your brass in and tumble without the lid on. After that I use a 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits in a squirt bottle. I add the first time about 3 or 4 tablespoons (ruff gess) into the media and let it mix in before adding the brass. I also use steel BBs about 1 cup full. After the mixture blends in and no clumps I add the brass and a cheap dryer sheet cut in 3 pieces. I don’t have any dust. Then add 1 or two tablespoons each time. But if starts looking wet I let it go a couple of times.
Wet cleaning I only do it for my match brass. I do it out in the garage and then dump the water out on the driveway. Then add water 3 or 4 times to get rid of most of the crud. Then use my shell sorters in a 5 gallon bucket full of water to seperate the pins and the cases. Just don’t add to much brass at a time. Then dump the brass on a rag towel. Spread the brass out and find any stray pins. Then I go over the driveway with a magnet on wheels to pick up anymore loose pins. Now matter how careful you think you are they have a way to escape. Then I dump the brass on another towel and put them on top of my truck bed cover or I put them in a mesh bag and put them on top of the shoe dryer rack in the cloths dryer on high for about 20 minutes. Depending on the weather. Also I only do it in the summertime.Like what Fred said wet tumbling is a pain.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve always tumble covered & use cut up fryer sheets which always come out gray to black. A little Nu Finish with mineral spirits. Guess it’s time to use the dust mask.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
For dry tumbling. When you put the media in the first time. I use 50/50 walnut and corn cob. Take the tumbler outside and put your brass in and tumble without the lid on. After that I use a 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits in a squirt bottle. I add the first time about 3 or 4 tablespoons (ruff gess) into the media and let it mix in before adding the brass. I also use steel BBs about 1 cup full. After the mixture blends in and no clumps I add the brass and a cheap dryer sheet cut in 3 pieces. I don’t have any dust. Then add 1 or two tablespoons each time. But if starts looking wet I let it go a couple of times.
Wet cleaning I only do it for my match brass. I do it out in the garage and then dump the water out on the driveway. Then add water 3 or 4 times to get rid of most of the crud. Then use my shell sorters in a 5 gallon bucket full of water to seperate the pins and the cases. Just don’t add to much brass at a time. Then dump the brass on a rag towel. Spread the brass out and find any stray pins. Then I go over the driveway with a magnet on wheels to pick up anymore loose pins. Now matter how careful you think you are they have a way to escape. Then I dump the brass on another towel and put them on top of my truck bed cover or I put them in a mesh bag and put them on top of the shoe dryer rack in the cloths dryer on high for about 20 minutes. Depending on the weather. Also I only do it in the summertime.Like what Fred said wet tumbling is a pain.

This product will prevent any pins from escaping:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...latinum-series-wet-dry-rotary-media-separator

And this will help you to get the pins back into the tumbler really quick:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...dia-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts

·
Scottish Member
13,233 Posts
This product will prevent any pins from escaping:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...latinum-series-wet-dry-rotary-media-separator

And this will help you to get the pins back into the tumbler really quick:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...dia-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media
I found the rotary separator a lot more trouble "than its worth" [compared to a tray] for ss pin wet tumbling.

I do use a magnet to pick up loose pins that stick to the bucket or get scattered about.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
I have both. Except I have a Dillon large and also a RCBS sorter. But found the brass shell sorter works the best And the pins still escape.
You drain the water first, then you use your RCBS sorter, close the lid, turning it slowly back and forth for maybe 40 seconds, remove the brass and pick up the pins with the magnet.

Where do you loose pins?

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
I put the Frankford wet tumbler in the bottom of the RCBS bucket and remove one end of the tumbler trying not to loose any pins. I then take the tumbler out and slowly dump the water. Fill it back up with water and dump again I do this a couple of times. If using the rotary separator fill the bottom pan all the way to the top with water add the basket and pour about ⅓ of the brass into the basket. Close the lid and slowly rotate the basket. Open the basket and check for any pins that are in the hinges. Then dump the brass onto a towel. Then do the rest. Spread the brass around and using the magnet like you showed pick up any pins that did not fall out in the wash. When all the brass is done I then pour them onto another dry towel and put them on the truck cover to dry. If i’m not doing any more brass I put the tumbler in the bottom of the RCBS tub and pull the other end off and using the hose and sprayer flush out any pins left in the tumber. Wash out the pins then using a metal strainer that has real fine mesh and also a more stronger mesh to drain the water. I then go over the driveway with a bar magnet with wheels to pick up any stray pins that escaped in the process. Even then I still might find pins weeks later on the driveway.
But like I said I think using the shell sorters works the best. Small batches works the best. I also after they are dry put them in a mesh bag and shake the bag and sometimes pins will still fall out.
I use Lime shine and car soap that contains wax. I found the brass stays shiny for a long time. I have brass that I did in the summer of 2016 and still looks the same. The brass I did with Lime shine and Dawn look dull.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
I put the Frankford wet tumbler in the bottom of the RCBS bucket and remove one end of the tumbler trying not to loose any pins. I then take the tumbler out and slowly dump the water. Fill it back up with water and dump again I do this a couple of times. If using the rotary separator fill the bottom pan all the way to the top with water add the basket and pour about ⅓ of the brass into the basket. Close the lid and slowly rotate the basket. Open the basket and check for any pins that are in the hinges. Then dump the brass onto a towel. Then do the rest. Spread the brass around and using the magnet like you showed pick up any pins that did not fall out in the wash. When all the brass is done I then pour them onto another dry towel and put them on the truck cover to dry. If i’m not doing any more brass I put the tumbler in the bottom of the RCBS tub and pull the other end off and using the hose and sprayer flush out any pins left in the tumber. Wash out the pins then using a metal strainer that has real fine mesh and also a more stronger mesh to drain the water. I then go over the driveway with a bar magnet with wheels to pick up any stray pins that escaped in the process. Even then I still might find pins weeks later on the driveway.
But like I said I think using the shell sorters works the best. Small batches works the best. I also after they are dry put them in a mesh bag and shake the bag and sometimes pins will still fall out.
I use Lime shine and car soap that contains wax. I found the brass stays shiny for a long time. I have brass that I did in the summer of 2016 and still looks the same. The brass I did with Lime shine and Dawn look dull.

I also rinse twice with water in the Frankford barrel, then I pore all cases and all pins into the RCBS bucket, close the lid and turn the handle for 40 sec back and forth with varying speeds.

After that ALL pins are in the bottom of the RCBS bucket. I never have to check. I think adding water to the bucket makes it a lot harder to get the pins out, and they might get washed between the bucket and the lid. Try it without water in the bucket and see if that works for you.

I add one teaspoon of lime shine and one teaspoon of Frankford Arsenal Brass Case Polish to the warm water. Brass looks like new (if not better) and doesn't tarnish unless I handle it with really sweaty hands.

If I reload precision ammo, I tumble the loaded rounds in corn cob with NuFinish for 15 minutes..

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
There is less than 1% of residual lead (styphynate) in the fired primer. You get lead in your blood from breathing in gun exhaust with cast lead or moly lead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts