Safe to keep Ruger LCP chambered?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by brian321, Feb 9, 2010.

1. brian321

brian321

Ok so i recently got my CCP(about a week ago) and i carry a G23 for my primary and i have carried one in the chamber since day 1, But i am considering carrying a Ruger LCP as a BUG but i dont feel as comfortable carrying one in the chamber. I kind of feel like its not as safe as a Glock and might fire because the springs gave out or something. What do you guys think? Safe to carry ruger LCP with one in the tube?

2. LEAD

LEAD

Have you shot it much yet, you'll notice the trigger pull is about as long as they come. I would think you'd be good, but be sure to put it in a holster that covers the trigger. All holster types are available for this. A pocket holster is what mine is in

3. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

The LCP is a DAO pistol (Double Action Only). It will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. I keep mine chambered all the time. But if you're worried about it, get a recluse holster for it. It keep the trigger immobile so the gun can't possibly go off.

http://www.recluseholster.com/

4. seed

seed

It should be fine. It's not fully cocked and the hidden hammer finishes the cocking when you pull the trigger. Just get a good holster that covers the trigger guard, keep your finger off the trigger and don't take it for granted that you are "the only one professional enough" to do anything short of wise and competent and you should be fine. Not having a round in the chamber and having one less round is less safe to me.

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I really hope they come with a Glock 27 holster....... :supergrin:

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Any modern pistol is safe to carry with a round in the chamber is you observe the basic rules of gun safety.

7. Shortimer

Shortimer

I agree its fine with a decent pocket holster that covers the trigger. It hard enough to fire with the long trigger when you want to. Not knocking them I like mine.

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I agree. I love mine. And like you said, that trigger pull is almost like having a safety.

9. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

I guess you missed the recalls on the modern Ruger LCP's and SR9's. They were recalled because if you dropped a loaded one of them they could go bang.

Ruger recommended not carrying a round in the chamber until they fixed them.

So to answer the OP question, make sure your LCP has had the fix, then it is probably safe to carry it with the chamber loaded. Unless of course Ruger decides that they haven't really fixed the problem.

10. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

I've been carrying my LCP for a while and have no fear of carrying it with a loaded chamber. As mentioned it's a double action only trigger so it doesn't start cocking the gun until you start pulling the trigger. Just make sure you have a holster for it (Especially if you carry it in a pocket, get a good pocket holster).

11. clint_white

clint_white Guest

my wife carries her lcp chambered in her purse with 5 rds in the mag no issues yet after one year...

12. mikeyU

mikeyU

Just ordered one of these, seen alot of holsters like this online, hope this one works well. Thank you:wavey:

13. Just1More

Just1More

...in a holster, hopefully?

14. clint_white

clint_white Guest

in the pouch (yeah like its gonna be ready when needed :faint:)

15. brian321

brian321

lol.....

16. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Yes

hog

17. brisk21

brisk21

I keep a round chambered. I have a pocket holster for it, but I kinda dont like when Im sitting down, the gun is pointed at whatever is in front of me. Sorta breaks the rule about "keep it pointed in a safe direction". I may switch to a waistband holster. Its just that the pocktet holster is the easiest and most convienent carry method Ive ever came across. I would say that keeping a round chambered is actually more safe, because if you ever need to use the gun it is quicker to get into action with a round already chambered.

18. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I mainly carry a G23 and always carry with one in the chamber. I just got my wife a LCP today, I wasn't sure if I'd like the size of it (bigger hands than my wife), but it dose feel good in hand. I just ordered another one for myself. It will be for pocket carry when I am unable to carry my G23.

Like others have said, with it being double action only, I have no worries about keeping one in the chamber of the LCP, I got a pocket holster coming for it.

As for my wife, she is going to have to get used to the idea of having one in the chamber, but once she gets some range time with it, I'm sure it will be fine.

19. clint_white

clint_white Guest

my wife has small hands her lcp (for sale 275) is sorta big in her hands lol but she likes the longer then needed trigger pull as for me i'll stick with my G23 and G17 once u go glock you never look back lol

20. La26

La26

As Fed Five Oh posted, there was a recall on these pistols. About 6 or 8 months ago, a problem was encountered where the pistol would fire if you dropped it, and it hit muzzle down with a round in the chamber. Any pistols that have been repaired for the recall, or manufactured after the recall have a Ruger Proof mark on the top of the frame, in the groove where the hammer travels backward when the trigger is pulled. You can see this proof mark by looking down into the hammer channel from above the pistol.
    If it does not have the proof mark, I would not recommend carrying a round in the chamber, and contact Ruger for instructions to return it to them for repairs.