"Safe" shotgun slug myth shredded!

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by KSFreeman, Sep 22, 2007.

1. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Earlier this year the Pennsylvania Game Commission released a report that destroys the "convential wisdom" that shotgun slugs are somehow safer than centerfire rifles in hunting. This report is finally getting some popular press in the gun world!!! Holt Boduinson has a fine summary article in the November 2007 issue of GUNS, page 34.

Hopefully word will get out to our fellow gun owners who slept through 8th grade Physics class that shotgun slugs are not as safe as centerfire rifles. As well, it shreds the Magic Bullet theory of the the Indiana Department of Natural Resources which believes that a .308 launched at a deer will destroy all human life within a 10 mile radius. However, a .308 launched at a coyote will turn into harmless fairy dust if misses the intended target. Magic!

I believe this study will help us destroy the uninformed resistance to the use of centerfire rifles in Indiana. The trophy hunters and the elitists are another matter.

The next time you are at the range or the gun shoppe and you hear some numbnuts running his pie hole about how one "does not need a rifle to hunt deer in Indiana", show him this article and then show his the Pennsylvania report. You may need to read it to him, or use sock puppets.:supergrin:

FROM THE ARTICLE:

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/DSG1107.html

The shotgun slug is less safe and more dangerous in the field than a 150-grain .30-06 bullet or a 50-caliber muzzleloading projectile. Does that statement sound improbable? Conventional wisdom would say so.
    I’ve just finished digesting a 67-page technical report commissioned by the Pennsylvania Legislative Budget and Finance Committee that blows a hole in conventional wisdom and the increasing establishment of shotgun-slug-only zones by state’s game agencies.

What prompted the study? A lawsuit involving a hunting accident in which a woman sitting in a car was struck by a stray rifle bullet coupled with increasing sportsmen’s opposition to the expansion of shotgun slug and muzzleloading-only zones on the decision of the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

When the professional staff of the Game Commission questioned other states with about their slug policies, they found no state had any definitive safety data to support the decision to restrict zones to shotgun slugs. Quoting from the report, “They found in the shotgun-only states, this appears to be an issue driven by emotion and politics rather than sound scientific data.”

Note the last sentence: support for shotgun only is driven by EMOTION AND POLITICS, not science. Exactly as it is here in Indiana, thus that oppose "think" that shotguns are somehow safer or they have a political interest to keep Indiana shotgun only, e.g. trophy hunters or anti-gunners.

2. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Who the heck cares about sound scientific data? This is about preconceived notions and old wives tales dammit!

3. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Well, I guess the study was definitive as no one darned comment on it, or you guys were so enlightened and advanced that you were all for centerfire rifles for deer.:hugs: :)

Now we just need to hand this report out at gun shoppes across the state.:thumbsup:

4. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

I never understood the point of using a shotgun to hunt deer. Please explain to me how a slug and a .30-30 going through a deer is any different in causing collateral damage?

I'm all for hunting with rifles. Should I ever deer hunt, it will be with either a Mauser or a '03 Springfield.

<---Doesn't own a shotgun, probably never will.