Safe question. Garage?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by glock2619, May 2, 2012.

1. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Ok gt brain trust, here it is. We're downsizing houses. The house we're looking at has almost no practical room for a safe in the house.

Is it absolutely forbidden to keep the safe in the garage? My gut says yes. I'm thinking issues with moisture, condensation, road grime and salt etc in the winter. Would a golden rod in the safe solve all these issues? Thoughts?

For reference, we live in western South Dakota, definitely have winter, springs a bit moist, summers are pretty dry. Garage is insulated/not heated. Safe would probably be in front of the cars.

Thoughts? Experiences?

2. harleytech

harleytech

I think it will be just fine...Lotsa people have safe's in their garages...
    Just do a few things for the moisture like you said..I don't think it will
    be a problem...

3. MajorD

MajorD

I would not want my safe in the garage, feeling not only possible environmental issues with temp fluctuations/humidity but also the garage at least in my mind is less secure than the main house and seperates you from your guns in an emergency. I'd find the space in the house- one of my friends has a safe designed to lay flat on the floor- you cover it with a table cloth and can be used as a coffee table. Another option is several small safes that fit in the space you have. Can't recall what make but saw some cool triangular shaped safes designed to fit in a corner- only held a couple of long guns each but take up very little space.

4. Toyman

Toyman

I did it for 6 years here in Michigan. This was with a garage floor that would sweat when the humidity was high. A jeep was parked in the garage during the winter, with snow/salt/etc.

I did not use any type of moisture control. Just kept them lubed. I also kept papers and stuff in there. Had no issues with rust or moisture, but I kept a close eye on it for the first year.

Definitely bolt it down from the inside. I kept a blanket over mine so it wasn't obvious.

Your environment might differ. I think with a golden rod you would be more than fine, but it's definitely doable.

5. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

You're not going to be happy in the "house you're looking at." Wrong house.

Either find a different house or plan an expansion of the "house you're looking at" before you make a commitment to it.

The amount of water and free chlorine atoms your car brings into the garage in Winter will make it very difficult to protect your guns in that environment.

6. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I have an old safe that I kept in a laundry room for 20 years. Unknown to me, it was rusting on the back and bottom because moisture was getting trapped there. Last summer I removed all that rust and repainted the safe.

Now the safe is in the bedroom, 3 feet from my side of the bed.

I live in Florida so I don't want the safe in my garage just to protect it from the humidity.

7. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Yup done it for years.
    My garage doesnt freeze. Walls are insulated and one wall is shared with the house and the dryer is in the garage.
    I always check my guns and keep those desicant packs in the safe. If its more in the elements like uninsulated walls I would watch it closer.

8. bipe215

bipe215

Mine is in my garage, no problems. Incredibly, all my tools which are also in my garage, haven't rusted. And I don't even lube my tools. :cool:

Steve

9. ca survivor

ca survivor

Florida and garage safe, no humidity or rust, my garage door is facing West though

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  10. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I had one in a dingy basement bolted to the cement wall, used only a golden rod with no problem ,when we moved the back of the safe had rusted so it required some work and a paint job. In a garage I would worry about the safe if you have alot of hand tools and a torch set available for the would be thieves.

11. F350

F350

I have had to do it a couple time (like now) here are a couple things...

DO NOT SET IT DIRECTLY ON A CEMENT FLOOR the bottom WILL rust. I got some square deck rail spindles (about 1X1) to set it on to allow air to circulate.

I ordered a Golden Rod (electric dehumidifier, heats the inside, lowering humidity) when I ordered the safe and have never had rust problems, even in a humid basement.

I use Tapcon screws to bolt the safe down, easier to use than lead anchors because you place the safe, drill the holes through the safe and screw in the anchors (I also use a couple heavy flange washers on each screw to insure the screws can't be pulled through the bottom)

12. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Thanks for all the help all.

I'm still nervous about it and it would be a last resort, but sounds like it might be doable. I thought the goldenrod might be a must, but I hadn't thought of getting it off the floor. Good point there.

Thanks for the input. As always, it's much appreciated.

13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I dont think I would do it... sounds like a constant battle.

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Bolt it to the floor and put an electric de-humidifier in it. Will be just fine.