close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Safe moving question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Usingmyrights, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

I'm going to be moving a safe (525lbs) into a closet just big enough for the safe to fit into. I'm actually going to have to pull the door frame to get the safe in because I'm about a 1/2" shy of clearing it now. The thing is that I'm going to have to slide it in straight back across brand new carpet. Any ideas on how to pull this off? I can pull the door off the safe and maybe try to slide it without the additional weight of the door. I still have carpet scraps from the carpet install that I could slide it across or a cardboard box. Just trying to figure out how to do this since sliding it directly on the carpet will probably mess it up and "walking" it into the closest isn't an option

2. bcmclane

bcmclane

I moved one weighing around 1500 lbs by myself with about a dozen golf balls. Pry one end up, toss some golf balls under it, pry the other end up, do the same. As you push it they will spit out one side and you have to keep feeding them under the other.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    cut some 3/4 PVC pipe to length and use them for rollers.

4. HOV

HOV

Safe on carpet should be pretty willing to slide. Just push it. 525# is not that heavy for what you're trying to do.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

This is a good technique, I have done this before and was amazed how easily the safe moved.

DO NOT take the door off, not worth the hassle.

6. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

For moving it across the carpet I'd go for the cardboard to allow some sliding (nothing worse that trying to slide across carpet) Depending on how thick the carpet is, maybe a couple 1/2 to 3/4 wooden dowels, but they have a tendacy to sink into the pile of the carpet and end up being just skids. A path of plywood would be the best since it won't cave in like the cardboard.

The thing to remember is that it isn't really that hard to move 525 pounds by yourself. Imagine how easy it could be for a couple or few bad guys to move it if they aren't worried about messing up the carpet. Once you get it in place make sure to anchor it down real, real good.

One more thing..if the safe just fits the closet, and you have to remove the door frame of the closet to make it fit through the door, will you be able to open the safe door at least 90 degrees once it's in the closet? Not being able to get the safe door pretty wide open makes it a PITA when fishing out the safe queens from the back of the safe. Don't ask me how I know....:supergrin:

7. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Rolling is going to be hard because its plush carpet. I don't want to just slide it because I don't want to risk damaging the carpet. Maybe I can pull the door and put a board across the front to lean agaisnt the dolly and try to drop it into place or at least as close as I can. I doubt sliding it just a few inches would really do any damage

8. bcmclane

bcmclane

Why don't you try putting down a piece of laminate or thin plywood that you can pull from under the safe when done. Use rollers on top of this. Even something as thin as laminate should work well.

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Bring the safe to the closet door and lay it down on its face. If there is a spindle or such make sure to put 4X4 on the ground so the body/door takes the weight and the spindle does not.

Slide the safe so it is as close to the depth of the safe away from the back of the closet as possible.

Have two friends use a tow strap around the top of the safe with the ends coming out of the closet as it stands up.

You tilt the safe up into the standing position in place.

very minor jostling/sliding needed.

10. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

I know that being a smaller safe that its portable. Its going to be bolted down as well. I'm debating on putting in a solid core door with a deadbolt on that closet, but am worried that will just attract unwanted attention to it. If I'm correct the safe will have able an inch of clearance from the front of the handle to the back on the door and a few inches on each side. I can always move the safe up agaisn't the wall inside the closest to gain a few inches if need be. Eventually I want to add studs so they are spaced 6" apart in the wall, with a layer of plywood and a few layers of fireboard. Should make it more fire resistant and a bigger PIA to get at.