Safe Mode or Not?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bronson7, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Bronson7

Bronson7

I've read where some folks run AV/Spyware apps in Safe mode and some who don't. What's the general concensus on what mode to run these apps and the reasoning behind it? I run mine in normal mode but I'm not sure if this is correct. Thanks.
    Bronson7

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I usually don't use these apps in Safe Mode.

If there is a file that is detected and cannot be removed, SpyBot will ask permission to schedule a Boot-Time (pre-Windows) scan that will almost always pull them.

And if that doesn't work, and the SM scan doesn't get rid of it, that is when I reach for my latest Knoppix Linux LiveCD.

I just Mount the HDD and navigate the XP file tree to the app in question, then terminate with extreme prejudice.

With antivirus apps it doesn't seem to make any difference, and, unlike with the spyware, there is also the chance that a system file has become infected and corrupted.

In that case I boot with a floppy to command prompt and use a USB Flash drive to copy the broken file's replacement from my shop computer into the OS that needs help.

You'll probably never need to do that, but a little extra knowledge may come in useful someday.

GL.

3. Bronson7

Bronson7

Thanks fastvfr.
    Bronson7

4. DragonBreath

DragonBreath

There are some rather malicious spyware and adware that hide themselves in Restore points under win xp. You may also try disabling restore points under xp if the other suggestions do not work.
    db

5. Bronson7

Bronson7

Good info to know, DragonBreath. Thanks. I'm not currently having a problem but was curious as to why people would run AV/Spyware apps in Safe Mode. I did run across a problem trying to remove a corrupted AV app and the only way I was able to remove it was in Safe Mode. Thanks again, I'll keep that info for future reference.
    Bronson7

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I do the same as Fast does and spybot will clean on restart. My AV has also found problems in restore points...but I am simply not willing to turn it off as it offers an easy fix at times :)

7. DragonBreath

DragonBreath

Sorry, I meant, turn it off for the scan only, when the scan is done then I would turn it back on.
    As far as why to scan in safe mode, in safe mode you have a bare minimum of applications running in memory and more then likely whatever adware or spyware your having trouble with will not be loaded. I believe the others that stated allowing the spyware sweepers to run at next reboot is essentialy doing the same, running its scan before most applications, spyware and adware are loaded into memory.
    If you havent tried it you may like Microsoft's anti spyware. It's active, runs on it's own, updates on it's own.
    db

8. Bronson7

Bronson7

Thanks DragonBreath. I now understand.
    Bronson7