Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a safe interior I put together for a great good friend.
Fully assembled it will hold 91 handguns in individual compartments.
It is amazing what you can do in LibreCAD, free software, and with a table saw.

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice. Is he storing pistols in there? If so, I'd like to see a picture of it when it is full.
Please tell us about your process.
This is a Winchester Big Daddy safe. the shelves are 38 inches long and 14 inches deep. Each cubby is 2 1/2 inches wide and 5 3/4 inches tall. It took about 4 hours on LibreCAD, I'm a beginner, and about 5 hours at the table saw, where I have some experience. Material is 3/4 inch plywood shelves and 1/4 inch plywood dividers.

· Banned
42,095 Posts
This is a Winchester Big Daddy safe. the shelves are 38 inches long and 14 inches deep. Each cubby is 2 1/2 inches wide and 5 3/4 inches tall. It took about 4 hours on LibreCAD, I'm a beginner, and about 5 hours at the table saw, where I have some experience. Material is 3/4 inch plywood shelves and 1/4 inch plywood dividers.
I have the smaller version of the same safe. Unfortunately I'm lazy.

· Registered
1,363 Posts
Nice. I like how it's modular. I'd probably put felt on the bottom of each cube to keep the guns from getting dinged up. Might sound easier to say it than to cut 91 rectangles from felt...

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice. I like how it's modular. I'd probably put felt on the bottom of each cube to keep the guns from getting dinged up. Might sound easier to say it than to cut 91 rectangles from felt...
You don't cut 91 separate pieces of felt. You cover the entire shelf with felt and then cut the felt from the grooves. before you put it in the safe.

· Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Very nice! Please stain mine in either traditional walnut, or a nice cherry finish. High gloss, please. Burgundy felt pads would look good.

Well done.

Reactions: MSW

· Registered
1,363 Posts
You don't cut 91 separate pieces of felt. You cover the entire shelf with felt and then cut the felt from the grooves. before you put it in the safe.
I would have figured that not to work, because felt is a total pain to work with, in my experience. I've had nothing but trouble cutting it in place, since it stretches so much and pulls free from most glues. I don't do a lot with felt for this reason. I'm sure I just need a better cutting tool.

I have used car upholstery carpet with much better results.

The plywood looks lighter in color than most of the cheaper stuff. Did you use birch?

You've given me the motivation to build a few more pistol racks for my safe. :)

· Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have figured that not to work, because felt is a total pain to work with, in my experience. I've had nothing but trouble cutting it in place, since it stretches so much and pulls free from most glues. I don't do a lot with felt for this reason. I'm sure I just need a better cutting tool.

I have used car upholstery carpet with much better results.

The plywood looks lighter in color than most of the cheaper stuff. Did you use birch?

You've given me the motivation to build a few more pistol racks for my safe. :)
The 3/4 ply I used I got from Lowes, it is primed and ready to paint, but I bought it because it is better constructed and has less voids than the standard pine A/B or A/C ply. The very bottom and next to the top shelf are A/C pine ply and the very top shelf is oak ply. I had the extra pieces and rather then buy a full sheet for 3 shelves I used what I had on hand.

· Registered
187 Posts
Did you also give your "friend" a young white elephant and wish him to live in interesting times? Now, all he'll see are the eighty some empty spaces for the guns he'll never be able to afford. Devious, dude. Talk about killing someone with kindness! :cat:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.