Glock Talk banner

Safariland Holsters

4112 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  WiCK3D_SiX
Picking up a 6280 for my G22 Gen2, opinions, thoughts etc?

http://www.justforcamping.com/Safar...y-Holster-RH-STX-Tac-Black-Glock-1722_i298889

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
What are you using it for? The rotating hood guard is a pain in the ass. The ALS system works great in my opinion. Used both for duty guns and I ended up leaving the hood down because I disliked it so much.

I would be happy to give you some ideas based on my experience if you tell me what you plan to do with it.

· Registered
3,610 Posts
The rotating hood is fine once you get used to it.

My opinion of Safariland duty holsters is pretty high. I use a 295 with a G22 on duty, I've carried S&W autos in the 6280 and my off duty holster is a Glock 23 in the Model 27 IWB holster.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you using it for? The rotating hood guard is a pain in the ass. The ALS system works great in my opinion. Used both for duty guns and I ended up leaving the hood down because I disliked it so much.

I would be happy to give you some ideas based on my experience if you tell me what you plan to do with it.
Duty and EDC once I get done with school. EDC for now. Most video's I watched on it highly discouraged leaving the hood down as if it ever got bumped up without you knowing, your SOL until you realise why you can't draw, by then, it may be too late...

Dustin

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the ALS the locking hood or something else? Their website is a bit of a mess so I didn't do a ton of digging.

Dustin

· Registered
690 Posts
All the ALS (Automatic Locking System) holsters I have had did not have a hood. There is a spring loaded lock that locks on the ejection port of the weapon and is activated on the draw stroke by the thumb as you obtain a firing grip.

As far as retention holsters go it is the best system out there IMHO. I carry one in Iraq at work and here in the states when I work armed. It is the most naturally used system I have found. No use of the trigger finger to unlock the holster. No twisting or rocking of the weapon to get it unlocked. No need to use your thumb to push down and rotate forward the hood to draw. Just get a firing grip and as your thumb moves into position on the inside of the grip it cannot help but "stroke" the lever that deactivates the lock, then you draw.

· Registered
155 Posts
Yup, I currently use the Safariland with just the ALS and it rocks. I was forced to use the ALS in combination with the rotating hood guard and together its just stupid. Its a great duty holster especially with the tactical finish (the leather WILL get torn up after a while). For EDC I would say its horrible only because its a thick (!!!) holster. For duty it doesn't matter, but not practical for EDC.

When I was a police officer I was forced to use the Safariland holsters but I really liked them. Now as a deputy, I get to pick whatever I want, and I went with Safariland again. Wide variety of holsters in use by the other deputies and I feel that mine is vastly superior.

You won't be disappointed by Safariland quality.

· Registered
3,610 Posts
I am aware of only one problem with the ALS, which surfaced when some go-fast guys were belly-crawling in sandy soil. It seems that if you get sand or pebbles down in the holster, it can choke up the retention device and make it hard or impossible to release the pistol. Don't use your holster for a scoop shovel and it should be just fine.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am aware of only one problem with the ALS, which surfaced when some go-fast guys were belly-crawling in sandy soil. It seems that if you get sand or pebbles down in the holster, it can choke up the retention device and make it hard or impossible to release the pistol. Don't use your holster for a scoop shovel and it should be just fine.
That bugs me a bit because I play hard. I'm definitely not easy on my gear. The SERPA system jamming up is the whole reason I'm avoiding it. I know the hood system has tight tolerances to avoid jamming from things being packed into it.

Dustin

· Registered
3,610 Posts
That bugs me a bit because I play hard. I'm definitely not easy on my gear. The SERPA system jamming up is the whole reason I'm avoiding it. I know the hood system has tight tolerances to avoid jamming from things being packed into it.

Dustin
One of our guys had a duty Serpa that just decided it was going to start flipping the hood up at random. They replaced it but I sure don't want one.

I am sticking with the 295. Once you get it burned-in, it is as fast as any two-step retention holster. I shot my way out of a tight spot with it a few years ago and I have no desire to switch.

· Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, just remember that anything can jam up eventually. I've had a screw loosen, and part of the hood fall off. Its locktighted in but got loosened over time because of all the roatating.

Even AKs jam. The difference is it takes a lot more for the Safariland holsters and it is tougher than the Serpa that's for sure. I have heard of Serpas jamming up easily and if torqued on, the screws securing the holster to the base will shear off.

· Registered
867 Posts
We use the safariland at work...it certainly will protect your weapon from someone trying to take it...but it will also slow you down from drawing your weapon.

bulky. locking hood is awkward to unlock/move while under stress.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After some research I'll be going with the 6377 ALS. do they accept the quick detach system?

Dustin

· Registered
3,610 Posts
Yeah, just remember that anything can jam up eventually. I've had a screw loosen, and part of the hood fall off. Its locktighted in but got loosened over time because of all the roatating.

Even AKs jam. The difference is it takes a lot more for the Safariland holsters and it is tougher than the Serpa that's for sure. I have heard of Serpas jamming up easily and if torqued on, the screws securing the holster to the base will shear off.
There's nothing to jam on the 295; you simply hit the snap, push the web of your hand into the back strap and rip the gun free with a firing grip accomplished. It is demonstrated here, quite poorly I might add, by a guy who wears it too far forward and cheats himself out of the weight of his arm in rocking the gun out. First part of the vid, anyway.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKSu7WVSy1Q"]Duty Holster Draw - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going on my 3rd AK and none of them has jammed... ever. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.