close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Safariland 6287

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jmathis84, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jmathis84

jmathis84

Does anyone here have any experience with this holster. I prefer the bail/ thumb break type holsters for carry. I know it may seem as overkill for just CC/Oc but I like the added security of the bail on top of the firearm.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

First, let me say that I'm a big, big fan of Safarliland and Bianchi (which Safariland owns). I had a 6287 for my Beretta 92. I returned it. It would be fine for strictly open carry, but I wanted something I could use for both open and conceal carry. Even without the the gun in the holster, the holster itself printed like I was wearing a bowling ball on my hip. Safariland my call it a concealment holster, but it ain't. But like I said, if you wanna use it for strictly open carry, it would be great.

It's a different style, but I settled on a Bianchi 59. Leather, not kydex. And a traditional thumb break as opposed to the SLS system. It works great for open carry and it conceals well with a loose shirt or jacket.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=59

I too prefer a bit more retention that just friction. At least in OWB holsters.

What kinda gun were you thinking of using this for?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

3. swinokur

swinokur

I also wanted more retention when i OC. I use the holster with my Smith 1006. It was not my intention to CC with this. It might work with a business suit or sport coat. I didn't buy it for that, however, It works fine for OC.

I added the optional Sentry for an additional level of retention.

4. jmathis84

jmathis84

Sheepdog I really like that Bianchi holster you pointed out. Thanks for showing that to me I may end up picking up on of those also. I plan to use it for my G22 Gen4. Swinokur i really like the holster also. I plan to use it for mainly farm-woods carry but will also OC it when I just dont care to conceal. How do you like the sentry system? How much more complicated does it make the draw stroke if any?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  5. swinokur

swinokur

It adds one more motion to the draw sequence. It is a bit stiff to rock it back prior to pushing down on the hood. I typically don't use it unless I will be in a place where there may be more people. It was only 10 bucks and took 5 minutes to install. Just another available option. I put them on all 3 of my Safariland holsters. You dn't have to use it but nice to know it's available if you feel it's needed.

6. jmathis84

jmathis84

Very true. It would add a extra security for when your in those not so nice parts of town. My only concern would be how easily is it to accidently engage it and be stuck in a sitaution if you were to not practice and train with it engaged at all times. I do like the concept of the sentry system itself

7. swinokur

swinokur

It is a very positive detent to engage it. Slightly less to disengage it. As I said if I feel like a situation may present itself or detiriorating I disengage it.

A no brainer at 10 bucks

8. jmathis84

jmathis84

I will check into it especially for only 10 bucks more. Thanks for the advice. The sentry would also be a good option for storing it on the nightstand with it locked in the holster

9. swinokur

swinokur

10. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Its definitely not a concealment holster. Plain clothes LE or uniform duty use is its intent. IMO its big time overkill for CCW.

I really like the Don Hume H721 with a thumbreak for added security. I have one for each of my handguns. They hold up well and can conceal a large handgun with a light cover garment. They are a great value for the money.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=42

I bought all of mine about $15 under MSRP.

11. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Poor choice for ccw, but great holsters for their intended use.

12. jmathis84

jmathis84

I never planned on it to be my main CCW holster. I said it would be used for farm work, woods and every now and again OC'ing. I have a nice thumb-break holster now that I use for CC. I just want to try a different type holster and was never happy with Blackhawk's offerings.

13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

The SERPA is probably a better option. But the safariland is great for duty use.