close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sabots in Your Muzzleloaders

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FESTUS, Jul 25, 2004.

1. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

It's been 7 years and a hip replacement later and I am looking to start deer hunting again. Here in Indiana we have a muzzleloading season which I've decided to participate in...question is I am going to use sabots again, and if I recall, the fouling started around 3 shots . I intend to use my pistol bullets, 250 grain .45 caliber hornadys with the proper sabot, 209 federal primers along with 150 grains of Hodgons pellets.I will probably use the recommended cleaners and bore prep that Thompson recommends for the new Encore that I will be using..... Appreciate you sharing comments on the above ;f

2. noway

noway

sounds like a winning combo.

One word of advice make sure you get the right sabot carrier for you projectile. I ran into this problem a while back while doing some testing with my friends muzzleloader which is also a Encore ( .50cal w/26" bbl IIRC ) and had crappy accuracy due to the sabot being loose on the bullet. But once we figure that out, we had very good accuarcy like 2-3" groups at 100yrds when shot from a rolled up bag rest. My friend was shooting and getting slightly better groups.

Also one other thing, reloading in fouled barrels can be very difficult , but shouldn't be a problem in the field.

Good luck and bring home that deer ;f

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Another word of advice. You might want to lessen the grains of powder. Hodgon recommends no more then 100 grains if you are using 777. I've also noticed that a lot of ML prefer below 100 grains of 777 and since it's 15% "hotter" then Blackpowder or Pyrodex it works out. I'm using a 300 grain T/C Shockwave (it's really a hornady sst) and 80 grains of 777 FFG and am getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Going over 90 grains of 777 and my group gets rather large.

4. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Thanks for the replies...I was hoping someone would throw up the caution flag on the pellets. I have some young mentors that are using the above setup but with Power Belt Bullets ( 150 grains/3 pellets). the next question is anyone using these $1.00 a piece Power Belt Bullets and what da ya think? ;f

5. noway

noway

Kinda confused are you planing on using the power belts in a sabot? ^8

I heard of people that actually used this style of bullet with good results. My muzzleloader mentor had used these in the 400gr size and said they provide very good accuracy with the heavier bullets and less fouling in the barrel.

btw: he got me started with using the precision rifle bullets and they fly pretty good as I stated above.

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

The older I get the more confused I know I am....Nope actually I am considering using the Power Belts as they are intended (no sabots) I understand that the fouling is non-existant and the accuracy superior(that is one mans' opinion) now I am considering the Power Belt at $1.00 a shot.....you have to realize that is hard for me to accept since I throw around 12,000 rounds of .40 down range per annum.;f

7. noway

noway

Okay , just thought I had to ask.

Good luck with your loading and testing. if happen to take you MZlL out this season and hunting with it, let us know your outcome. I'm hunting just one weekend of our season this year.

8. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Will do...I intend to start Indiana/Michigans deer season with a pistol, and if I find something special that I haven't been able to tag then I intend to pursue into the Muzzleloading season ....GoodLuck to you as well ;f

9. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

I am shooting the 295 grain PowerBelt bullets with two, 777 pellets. That setup is accurate out of my Winchester Apex(50 cal.) and makes one heck of a hole in a deer.

10. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Thanks for the response I see that you live in Saginaw...I have a younger brother up there ....too bad he does not hunt. Looks like you enjoy the management of the resources as well. Whats'this years herd look like to you? ;f