close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SA TRP Question

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Starbelly, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Starbelly

Starbelly

Would it be possible to find a TRP Operator that did not have the letters "TRP" stamped on the slide and "Tactical" stamped on the frame. I want to get expert opinions before I call something bogus.

2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

SA has a custom shop so it is certainly possible but not very likely.

3. Starbelly

Starbelly

Thanks, I didn't think so.

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

I think I have seen one somewhere that the custom shop did. All it takes is money.

5. hatidua

hatidua

There's some unique stuff out there. As pointed out above, if you have the coinage, the SA custom shop will build just about anything you want. And, it wouldn't be all that tough to have those items removed from a gun that had them if a person wanted to.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Talk to the custom shop.

They will do near anything for a price.

7. fistpoint

fistpoint

I recall reading on another forum about the old TRP's having fewer markings on them. I cannot recall exactly which marking/words though, but I'm pretty sure one of the two you mentioned was omitted.

8. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

there used to be a milspec full-rail operator that would not have those markings.
    its possible that someone could have sent said milspec to the custom shop and ordered the 'trp package' on it.

(...or not and said they did)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. Starbelly

Starbelly

I asked the question because I have seen some bogus guns lately in the 1911 market, people trying to sell "rare, one of a kind" guns. I recently saw a SA Model PX9105mlp(MC Operator) trying to be sold as a PC9105lp(TRP Operator.) That one was easy to spot and It could have easily been a mistake so I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt. However, it does make me think twice about purchasing any gun sight unseen when so many custom options available on 1911s. I am a relative newb at the game, and just realized how easily I could have been ripped off. Thankfully I have you guys to consult before any purchase goes down.

10. coal

coal

You are far more kind than I. What I notice: How often the "mistake" is of clear benefit to the seller.

IMO, on a 1911, "custom" and/or "rare" means nothing without a certificate of proof, or the proper markings to support it. I think a higher end 1911, and a high end 1911 even more so, is a very hard gun to buy sight-unseen, and the seller's reputation (rating) is all you have to go off. A stock production 1911 is certainly less so.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  11. Starbelly

Starbelly

I wouldn't say "kind", just in a good mood...