SA Saint Edge Pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by GLD1980, Oct 28, 2019.

1. GLD1980

GLD1980

My apologies in advance for the narrative, skip to the questions if patience is not a virtue or have a free laugh! SASE.jpg
    For some odd reason I just had to have this pistol. In a meant to be fairy tale, she's the one, to good to be true type of way. For me the definition of nostalgia is this firearm. Reminiscent of a period of my 80's childhood where GI Joe bad asses possessed weapons as prolific has they were iconic, slowly fueling thoughts that became embedded in my head has a child. The 80's, no censorship of the news and amazing cable television combined with the hustle and bustle of Southern California prepared me for an adulthood of reality, where people are not nice and unfortunately you must be prepared to encounter a no where to run, stand your ground situation where depending on what you know, what you have, and what you have access to, may or may not save your life! But you will have a fighting chance!

Now let it be known that Fortis Fortuna Juvat! There are better choices of pistols, weapons, rifles, etc... But for what you get on paper and through reviews, thus far, this seems to be an incredible value for under $1300 while not having to torque sh*t. I looked at the comps and aside from SA jumping on the wrong side of the fence building a bad rap politically, feelings aside, it seems to be a solid setup from the factory. Only time will tell and feelings don't win firefights! Anyone want one hell of a conservative Pro 2A slogan to go up against today's sensitive feelings there you go..... " Feelings Don't Win Firefights"! RLTW!

So some may say I violated the 5th principle by buying this blind but I did do my research before pulling trigger and the breeze on your fingertips guiding you through evil, that good ol intuition & desire lead me to her.

SO...

1. What are your thoughts and experiences with the Saint Edge Pistol?

2. What are your thoughts on a linear muzzle device eg., the Surfire Warden Direct Thread or a PWS CQB Comp or similiar?

Here is the link to the vendor:
    https://www.nwarmory.com/product/sp...0.3-301-black-hardcoat-anodizedblack-melonite

DrewBone likes this.
  2. NoComp

NoComp The Shootist

I fondled one the other day. Fantastic trigger.
    I had the first iteration Saint pistol with the funky blast forward muzzle device, and I didn't care for it. The barrel was too short @ 7.5" and mine had problems with it being over-gased (I think).

With the longer barrel and regular flash hider I think you'll like it a lot.
    I still have a Saint rifle and it's been real solid. As long as Springfield builds good stuff and makes it available to mere mortals, I'll give them a pass on a momentary lapse of judgement by a few people.

I'm a fan, let us know how it does.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    GLD1980 likes this.

3. Glockster17

Glockster17 Millennium Member

I have one of the original Springfield Armory Saint pistols. It’s not the Edge model. I’m still relatively new to the gun, but so far it’s been flawless. And the linear comp has worked as advertised. The nickel boron G.I. trigger it’s pretty awesome for still being “mill spec”. The overall build quality is high. Even though I don’t have tons of rounds through the gun I am a huge fan of it.

Uncle Mark and GLD1980 like this.
  4. CAcop

CAcop

No experience with any of these but it looks good and at 10 inches the barrel is long enough to be very effective within the house. With 75/77 grain ammo out to normal AR distances. If I lived in a free state it would be very tempting.

rock_castle and GLD1980 like this.
  5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm

Very nice. I wish I could have afforded the Saint pistol, but I settled for a Ruger AR556 pistol. Then decided I wanted one in 300 Blk Out, so I purchased a 7.5" 300 BO upper for it from PSA. That was right before Ruger came out with the 300 BO version (sigh).

GLD1980 likes this.
  6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Is the Ruger working well?

I've seen and fired a few of the Saints, they seem decent.

GLD1980 likes this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Interesting

I haven’t seen one yet.

GLD1980 likes this.
  8. GLD1980

GLD1980

bac1023, it's been a while. How are you. Since you chimed in I have a few questions if you have the time. I always value your opinion.

What are your thoughts on the "GRAND POWER STRIBOG SP9A1 9MM PISTOL"?

Also I have a SIG556R gen 2, pic attached. I know its Exeter but if I could get basically everything minus a new 7.62x39 barrel and upper, IYO should I keep it or get rid of it to an aficionado of the 556R?
    I really love the rifle but due to SIG Exeter dumping it and the XI in favor of the MCX, kinda makes things hard to repair. Keeping anything I cannot easily repair SEEMS WRONG, even though I love it. Everything can and will break eventually! Except the dog in the pic lol.

Finally how do you feel about .40s&w? To steal millenial slang,"How do you see it trending over the next 5-10 years? Should I get a few conversion barrels for my pistols or plus up?

TIA

GLD1980[​IMG]

Berto likes this.
  9. GLD1980

GLD1980

I like the Ruger. Was about to pull trigger and then I priced the Maxim Brace and spec'd the other components on the Edge. Once the research was done I figured measure twice cut once.
    The SASEP was the clear cut better equipped pistol IMO built from a solid factory with sweet upgrades at under $1270 delivered, ready to shoot with a factory backing its performance.
    The Ruger is the best priced value out there; very well made and may be next on my list because it's such a great bang for the buck. Really ****ty Ruger didn't launch the 300BO sooner in your case but you can always sell your PSA upper and go Ruger! Hopefully the Saint Edge Pistol gets the .300BO Chambering. I'd get that too!

Safe Travels!

10. nmglock

nmglock

Saint is an outstanding pistol and I do not like AR pistols. You get what you pay for and it is everything advertised if you want an AR pistol

Uncle Mark and GLD1980 like this.
  11. GLD1980

GLD1980

Bingo....

12. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

I don't see the need for an AR pistol....but everyone that has one says it's their favorite gun to shoot. I'll probably pick one up eventually.

GLD1980 likes this.
  13. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Congrats! I like SA

GLD1980 likes this.
  14. DrewBone

DrewBone

Many folks own firearms that they didn't have a particular need for, yet they still own them, and sometimes buy even more, which I'm guilty of. For me, with normal concealable type handguns it boils down to an appreciation of older technology and manufacturing, their history of use, etc., and I have no regrets.

In regards to the AR pistol, I'm still researching calibers and barrel lengths, and have a dedicated pistol lower and upper receiver ready to roll when the time comes. Why interest in an AR pistol? Because of the simplicity and commonality of components, plus, I prefer rifle caliber pistols over pistol caliber carbines, the latter of which are described as "fun" by most, but absolutely bore me to tears just after one mag. The rifle caliber pistols are deceivingly accurate at longer ranges than most are aware of and are chambered in very affordable and popular calibers, and they pack much more of a punch than any pistol caliber carbine can match. I believe the aforementioned to be reason enough to own these types of firearms.

The two rifle caliber pistols I currently own are both very accurate, are chambered in uber common calibers, i.e., 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm, and utilize common as can be magazines...a CZ Bren 805 S1 and a Zastava PAP M92. The CZ cost more than twice as much as the AKM, but is a bit more refined...
    20171026_151231.jpg
    So when you can go ahead and give an AR pistol a try, as these days they're not very expensive ;)

GLD1980 and NoComp like this.
  15. GLD1980

GLD1980

Your Bren has me drooling. I want one of those too. I'm currently eyeing the Grand Power Stribog sp9a1 9mm pistol. stribog-brace-folded.jpg stribog-with-brace.jpg 20191103_234820.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    DrewBone and hogship like this.
  16. GLD1980

GLD1980

Emailed Springfield last night and asked about the black flat faced trigger on my Saint Edge.

Newest mod update to the Saint Edge. Rightfully deserved after the Victor got the flat faced Nickel Boron.[​IMG][​IMG] 20191107_115822.jpg

DJ Niner and NoComp like this.
  17. GLD1980

GLD1980

Most people who do not approve of this build do so simply due to it being Springfield Armory and nothing regarding performance or specs.

18. Master Guns

Master Guns

how do you like the 556R? I’ve never held one. I have an MCX virtus and 3-516‘s of different sizes. Just wondering if you have shot these as well and am interested in your views. Thanks

GLD1980 likes this.
  19. GLD1980

GLD1980

What's up MG,

Man I'm biased because I love SIG. Admittedly I know nothing of the German Sig Sauer which BAC1023 raves about but my experience with SIG Exeter has been solid. The 556R I have is a gen2 and is a beast. Shoots anything reliably. I had a 556 SWAT, P229SSE, P226Tac & P238. Sold them because they were to perfect and pretty. The sad thing about the 556 & 556xi platforms is how SIG brought them to an end with no continued support. Has an owner I'm butthurt but from a business perspective it was the right choice. The MCX & MPX platform is the evolution of their company and vision. Sometimes I think of selling my 556R but in 7.62x39 it's a solid gun.[​IMG]

NoComp likes this.
  20. Uncle Mark

Uncle Mark Bitter American

I have a regular Saint pistol in 300 Blk with 9.5" barrel. It's awesome. I may have paid too much but I just HAD to have one because I thought it was so cool. I'm happy with it and enjoy converting 556 brass to 300 Blk. It's like therapy for me.

NoComp and GLD1980 like this.