SA/DA versus Striker

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by happyguy, Oct 31, 2015.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Was at the range yesterday and got to wondering how my new carry (Sphinx SDP Alpha) would fare against my Glock 19 going from holster to first round on target. I didn't have a timer so all this is my purely subjective observation.

3 yards -- no difference
    5 yards -- no difference
    7 yards -- no difference
    10 yards -- sometimes the Glock was faster, sometimes not
    15 yards -- Glock was a little faster
    25 yards -- gave up the DA on the Sphinx and thumb cocked it, Sphinx was faster and WAY more accurate.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for the heck of it.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

pat701 likes this.
  2. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

It is well worth learning to prep a DA trigger to 90 percent of its pull. Here I demonstrate hitting a plate at 27 yards with a DA draw. You can start prepping as soon as you've safely cleared your own body during the draw. The DA pull on this gun weighs in at about 7 lbs.

Dismas316, pat701 and KIMBERSM like this.

3. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I am beginning to move over to the sa/da pistols. Though I still shoot my strikers and sa's a bit better the practice is getting me better and better. I just feel more comfortable knowing that the da pull is better for me in CCW. I also like the feeling of the hammer on reholstering.

4. dj45

dj45

I don't understand the thought process around the notion that a DA/SA trigger is better for CCW. You don't trust yourself to make the right decision in a self defense situation? Do you feel you need that heavier first shot trigger pull to give you that split second more to mull it over?

The DA/SA is inferior to a striker fired system like the Glock, Sig P320 and especially the PPQ, for the mere fact that with any of the striker guns, your trigger pull is the same every time. Incorporating a heavy single shot followed by a light second shot, sure you can train your self to get used to it, but its just not as good as a striker system.

I've been giving the DA/SA system a lot of thought recently, as I was contemplating my next firearm purchase. The CZ Compact SDP from the CZ custom shop was in the mix until I was able to handle one yesterday and compare its trigger to the striker fired guns I noted above. Even a DA/SA trigger that's been worked over top to bottom by a custom craftsman, is still inferior because the first shot is different than the second. Nothing you do to make the trigger smoother or lighter will change that.

Caver 60 and CBennett like this.
  5. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

6. Scrappy

Scrappy

Which was more accurate on target when drawn and fired since times were the same

7. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I like aluminum framed guns, which pretty much rules out strikers. The 92FS and P228 shoot just fine.

8. dj45

dj45

And I want to just add, that it really just comes down to what you're most comfortable with and like the feel of the most. I'm not at all saying anyone's wrong for liking a non-stiker trigger. If you carry one, more power to you, and I appreciate you doing it.

My post was all about my inner struggle recently with this exact comparison. OP thanks for posting your tests and thoughts on it.

9. Scrappy

Scrappy

I really got away from DA/SA all together just SA or striker fire for me.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

DA/SA, DAO, SAO, Striker, whatever. If the trigger isn't crap, I can shoot it.

If you can't transition between the DA and SA, then you need more practice and training.

I remembered back in the days when I whined about DA/SA transition too. Then I learned how to properly shoot a handgun - any handgun via some good courses at Gunsite.

11. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I think hammer fired sa triggers are generally better and easier to control than striker guns

12. dj45

dj45

Sure, you can train yourself to do almost anything. That still doesn't discount the fact that the same trigger pull every shot, is simply better than a heavy first shot, lighter second.

Like the OP found out. At some point you get out to a distance, probably different for every person, where the DA on the first shot is makes hitting at that distance MUCH harder than it would be if the first shot was as light as the rest.

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Accuracy was the same until I got out to 25 yards and then the Sphinx was a little better.

The break is really clean on the Sphinx even in DA but it is much heavier than the Glock. Beyond 10 yards I found I had to be more deliberate with the Sphinx in order to attain the same accuracy. That resulted in the Glock being faster.

At 25 yards the I gave up on shooting the Sphinx DA because it took a ridiculously long time to get everything lined up and keep it there compared to the Glock. The sights on the Sphinx have a lot of light on either side of the front post which make them a little harder to use at distance (might get better with practice). I was faster and more accurate with the Sphinx than the Glock when I thumb cocked it though.

I have an 18 lb hammer spring which I am told will bring the DA pull down from around 12 lbs to approximately 8 pounds or so and I will probably give that a try on my next range trip.

It was fun though.

Regards,
    Happyguy: )

dj45 likes this.
  14. ronin.45

ronin.45

So drawing and thumb-cocking the Sphinx was faster than just drawing the Glock? That is the only real surprise here.

15. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

But
    I was actually faster and more accurate at 25 yards with the Sphinx than I was with the Glock. I just had to thumb the hammer instead of shooting it DA.

Here is someone who knows how to run a SA/DA.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

16. dj45

dj45

Sure, understood. The Sphinx in SA was better than the Glock trigger. Makes sense.

There's always trade-offs in the CCW world. With situations where one gun is better than another. The main thing is that you're shooting and improving with the weapons you carry.

Appreciate the research and the informative post.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Except that a hammer fired gun will give more reliable primer ignition.

Ever wonder why striker fired guns were invented in the early 1900s but were never popular till now?

18. dj45

dj45

No, I really don't ever wonder that. But then I've never had a malfunction with any Glock I've ever owned, through 10's of thousands of rounds. So I guess I must be using the right rounds.

I think that's good enough to trust my life to.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's probably because you benefited from the experience of older Glock Shooter's who identified the weaknesses in the Glovk trigger mechanism thus giving Glock Inc the opportunity to rectify it at least twice.

20. plp

plp

Makes sense, if engaging a target at 25 yards would think you would have the time to cock the hammer.

I'm miles and tens of thousands of rounds away from it making any appreciable difference in my handgun accuracy, at the moment shoot everything about the same. My favorite DA/SA is still my Ruger P series, all 4 are identical in trigger pull and a known quantity, despite being 3 different calibers.