Glock 43x S15 mag owners, how are they performing?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dr_fast, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Flawlessly

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No failure to feed, but failure to drop free consistently

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. No failure to feed, but failure to lock back consistently.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Failures To feed.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

I figure amongst our brain trust, and because they’ve been shipping out much more frequently, I do a little check here and see how they’re working for you guys.

I have had flawless function with both of mine I’ve tested so far, but I haven’t ran a real high round count through them.

The reason I structured the questions the way I did was both based on,by far the most common Failures being either locking back or dropping Free,( according to, I would guess, more than 5000 rounds of testing I’ve seen on YouTube if I add them all up together ) and my personal feeling that failure to feed is by far the most important. According to John of active self protection who has seen more than 15,000 gun fights, he has only seen three or less instances of a civilian defense situation where reloading was actually involved and not just a tactical reload at the end.

2. glock45gap

glock45gap

Funny you should ask. I just got 3 in today, as well as the mag release. Installed immediately and went to the range. Put 300 flawless rounds down range. Drop free, loaded and unload, every time. Loaded with 15 rounds. Newer, all-black, Glock 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smith10 likes this.

3. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Thanks for your reply!

4. Wes Cummings

Wes Cummings

I have three with the Shield mag release. Probably have 600 rounds through the three mags w/o issue. I’m still using OEM mags in the gun and backup for EDC. I am leaning towards a S15 for one of the backup mags.

5. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Thanks for your response, and I have a range report.

Just took my four other mags to the range today. My first two already went through this with flying colors. I have a total of six and have run them all through the following regime :
    *Each magazine gets four complete loads through it of ammunition. Not a lot, but it’s what I could do.
    *In addition to that, each magazine gets four additional first round tests where I have 15 in the magazine plus one in the chamber. Wanted to make sure this was not a failure point.
    *Also, each magazine gets four opportunities at just loading just the last round. Again another point of failure often.
    The Magazines. function flawlessly! Never failed to lock open, and never failed to drop free. And never failed to load rounds just as they were supposed to.

-JCN- likes this.
  6. Majestic9C1

Majestic9C1 You're Going to Love my Nuts

no wonder I cant find any... y'all grabbing them up 3+ at a time LOL

Dr_fast likes this.
  7. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Sorry to be messing with you! LOL!
    But honestly, I am concerned because my state is turning into California and we have an all Democratic Congress and dictator, I mean governor, and I’m afraid they’re going to make a 10 round magazine limit any day now…
    Actually, one good thing about the virus and how it is that it is shutting everything down, is keeping those power-hungry, liberals who are ruining my state from meeting and passing further laws. Last legislative session they very efficiently, systematically, and speedily started passing all sorts of weird legislation in my opinion. I was going to go into detail, but I probably shouldn’t.

8. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Those of you who have changed the mag release to the metal style to accommodate the Shield 15 round magazines, are you experiencing any detrimental effects on your polymer 10 round magazines?

9. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Sounds like a company is meeting yet another, un-met demand for Glock. They continue to leave a lot of money on the table with their stubborn refusal to innovate.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yes ! The SA mag release eats, chews up, our OEM mags, (at the mag catch port on the oem) and it does not take long. YMMV...

CM
    :horse:

11. Big1

Big1

So far I haven't had any problems with them.

12. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Are you talking mags, or the mag release?

13. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Unfortunately, I have noticed something that may be of concern and I want to bounce it off of others…

I have noticed three times when I’ve gone to retrieve my 43X and put it on target, that the magazine has been loose. It’s not falling out, but when the mags are empty they drop free easily. They actually don’t drop free as easy when they are full. What I mean is it’s not latched in there properly.
    So essentially, the mag release, magazine combination releases too easily and by accident. Now this is only three times out of, with Dry Fire and Range practice, several hundred times but still not something you want to have happen in self-defense.

I have also noticed, that you only need to push the magazine release in probably 40% as far as you do with a factory magazine release, and that the magazine release sold by shield arms stands out probably 30 to 40% further than the factory ones do. Both of these add to a “hairpin“magazine release.

Anyone else notice this? Check your situation and see if yours is similar at least with the stand out, and very light push in that’s needed. What are your thoughts?

14. diamondd2

diamondd2

Just a wild guess, but I'm going to say your mag release is not installed correctly.

15. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Update ....
    I have heard that shield Arms customer service is excellent, and it sure seems that way to me!

Within a couple of hours of me sending an email to them, they have already offered to send me a lower profile mag release, and I’m impressed!

16. diamondd2

diamondd2

Post a picture of your mag release. Something isn't right.

17. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

1BC5ECE4-B0C2-46CB-959B-D51EC36D0710.jpeg As you can see, it sits flush on the opposite side, and stands out on the push side further than a factory Glock does. So I don’t think there’s any way it’s installed incorrectly. Plus it’s worked properly, except for this problem, many many times. It’s only come out three times. 17BD84AC-27C9-43F9-A1F7-37B15D53868A.jpeg

18. diamondd2

diamondd2

Looks right. Maybe you got an out of spec part.