Glock Talk banner

S&W third gen goodness….

1803 45
I just can’t turn down a good 3rd gen S&W, especially at $270. Just scored one on GB, a 5946 NYPD. It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m going to hit it with a scotchbrite pad and put a new spare grip that I have in my parts bin on it. Already have a 5943 which shoots like a dream. I really think S&W hit a home run with the DAO third gens. They’re surprisingly easy to shoot with the heavy trigger. Will update with cleanup pics….

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you are a S&W 3rd gen DAO fan, then I highly recommend adding a 3953 to your quiver. The 8 round single stack magazine makes it a svelte CCW piece, although to me it’s also a great range gun.

View attachment 1134480
I do have a 3914 DAO which is also a former NYPD off duty gun. The cool thing about it is that it has double strike capability. Not mine but it looks just like this one. Mine is also a Houlton gun.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
G43 Fanboy
3,287 Posts
I just can’t turn down a good 3rd gen S&W, especially at $270. Just scored one on GB, a 5946 NYPD. It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m going to hit it with a scotchbrite pad and put a new spare grip that I have in my parts bin on it. Already have a 5943 which shoots like a dream. I really think S&W hit a home run with the DAO third gens. They’re surprisingly easy to shoot with the heavy trigger. Will update with cleanup pics….

View attachment 1134313
Congrats!
I love my old S&W semi-autos. Here is a photo of mine.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

I used to carry that 5906 and 3913 in Milt Sparks Executive Companion before making transition to “plastic guns”. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
It will F it up if it's not already a brushed finish. Using a Scotchbrite pad on a stainless steel bead blasted finish will introduce fine striations (re: scratches) wherever it makes contact with the finish that will be contrary to the bead blasted finish and will stick out like a sore thumb. Use Scotchbrite -ONLY- on brushed surfaces, e.g., the sides of a pistol slide, taking care to maintain the original direction of the brushed finish.

Using the proper glass bead media and air pressure are the -ONLY- ways to restore a stainless steel bead blasted finish.

A few of my recent restoration examples to exemplify the point:

Nice DB.

Figured the SB pads would mar the stainless. I have a Dan Wesson VH10 revolver with scratches. If I had a bead blaster or access to one I would be tempted to try your method.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's an LE classic. Suggest stocking up on a spare extractor, they were prone to chipping and have to be fitted. The grips were also prone to cracking. Press in from the magazine well and check for stress cracks. If the barrel hood is marked .9MM than it was replaced by the department. Earlier barrels were marked 9mm Parabellum. There was a brief run of them marked 9MM without the period in front of 9MM. Field strip the magazine and check the follower legs, those commonly break. Get a spare set of parts because they are drying up.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I never got into DAO smith's, it seems I just prefer the standard. Around here, you can find just about anything at flea markets, garage sales and estate sales. Just one word to you guys who do buy a lot, don't forget to pick something up for the wife, and give it to her BEFORE you show her your purchases. I have a standing account at Davidsons a galleria and Goodmans jewelers in case I can't find her anything at the time I get my stuff.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unfortunately, the seller has hung the phone up on me twice. Had to call to make the payment, some FFL on Long Island. This morning he was “too busy” to take my card info and said he would call me back. Never did. Just called back 10 minutes ago and he just hung up on me LOL. I’m guessing they expected more for it and are trying to dodge the sale. Left negative feedback. Can’t win ‘em all!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Love the third gen S&W's at One time I had this little gem a 5903 ssv (short slide variation) and sold it for a ridiculous low price which I could kick myself in the @ss for finding out that S&W only produced 1500 for the world.
Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood Air gun

·
Registered
130,639 Posts
Unfortunately, the seller has hung the phone up on me twice. Had to call to make the payment, some FFL on Long Island. This morning he was “too busy” to take my card info and said he would call me back. Never did. Just called back 10 minutes ago and he just hung up on me LOL. I’m guessing they expected more for it and are trying to dodge the sale. Left negative feedback. Can’t win ‘em all!
Dishonesty really hurts online sales

Sorry to hear

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice pics, I had a small smith that was blue.ithnk it was a469 and May be a Gen 2. I think I might see if I can get it back. It went to a Relative.It was a 9mm and had the safety on the slide. double/single I think I don’t remember it too well. factory bobed Hammer.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Nice pick up. I love 3rd gens although I don't have one. I'm sentimental about them since they take me back to my very early 20's in the 1980's. That's when really started getting into handguns. I did own a couple back then- they were .45 cal variants.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Love the third gen S&W's at One time I had this little gem a 5903 ssv (short slide variation) and sold it for a ridiculous low price which I could kick myself in the @ss for finding out that S&W only produced 1500 for the world. View attachment 1135293
Those SSV’s are really sweet. Wish I could find one..

21 - 40 of 46 Posts