Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can’t turn down a good 3rd gen S&W, especially at $270. Just scored one on GB, a 5946 NYPD. It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m going to hit it with a scotchbrite pad and put a new spare grip that I have in my parts bin on it. Already have a 5943 which shoots like a dream. I really think S&W hit a home run with the DAO third gens. They’re surprisingly easy to shoot with the heavy trigger. Will update with cleanup pics….

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Man, I so totally agree, I have:

5 S&W Model 5906's with nearly 250 magazines
7 S&W Model 1006's with 100 magazines
4 S&W Model 1066's with 25 additional magazines
8 S&W Model 4506's with 180 magazines
4 S&W Model 4566's with 12 additional magazines

Many I obtained while I had an FFL, but honestly, if I run across one at a show or anywhere for a decent price then I'll get it.

My other obsession is Safari Arms 1911's. I won't even begin to go into what I have there, but I can say, the only one I ever walked away from was at a local gun show, the guy had a USED Matchmaster and he wanted 1700 bucks for it.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, I so totally agree, I have:

5 S&W Model 5906's with nearly 250 magazines
7 S&W Model 1006's with 100 magazines
4 S&W Model 1066's with 25 additional magazines
8 S&W Model 4506's with 180 magazines
4 S&W Model 4566's with 12 additional magazines

Many I obtained while I had an FFL, but honestly, if I run across one at a show or anywhere for a decent price then I'll get it.

My other obsession is Safari Arms 1911's. I won't even begin to go into what I have there, but I can say, the only one I ever walked away from was at a local gun show, the guy had a USED Matchmaster and he wanted 1700 bucks for it.
Wow. That’s awesome. I have two 4506-1’s and about 20 mags, but for my 1066 I only have two.

You have about 10 grand just in 10mm mags…

23,917 Posts
They are nice pistols. I had a model 39 that I would still have one like it today if Smith and Wesson would have made one that was single action only that could be carried cocked and locked.

They actually did make one, the model 52 but it was a target gun chambered for 38 special and it was expensive.

The 39 was my first 9mm and around the time I had my 39, a friend had a model 59 which I think had a steel frame and I couldn't believe how little recoil the 9mm had in a full size gun. I think besides the difference in weight, the wider grip absorbed some of the recoil and the overal ergonmomics wer good on those guns.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
I just can’t turn down a good 3rd gen S&W, especially at $270. Just scored one on GB, a 5946 NYPD. It’s a little rough around the edges, but I’m going to hit it with a scotchbrite pad and put a new spare grip that I have in my parts bin on it. Already have a 5943 which shoots like a dream. I really think S&W hit a home run with the DAO third gens. They’re surprisingly easy to shoot with the heavy trigger. Will update with cleanup pics….

View attachment 1134313
Very Nice!

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Wow. That’s awesome. I have two 4506-1’s and about 20 mags, but for my 1066 I only have two.

You have about 10 grand just in 10mm mags…
The majority of those 1006/1066 mags came from an estate sale. The 5906 mags from a gun shop going out of business but the 4506/4566 mags are all me. For my 1911s I had in the area of about 400. I ended up selling off most but my numbers are still there but the one mag I use is the Remington closed follower 7 rd mags from CDNN. The are absolutely great replacements for my 30 year old Colt and Pachmyer mags.

Reactions: CAcop

· Registered
15,656 Posts

View attachment 1134313
What will the scotchbrite pad do to the ss finish?

· 10mm Philosopher
6,617 Posts
Love S&W 3rd Gens …

M4566
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

M6906
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

And the elusive M1013 …
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

:cool:

· Florist
22,972 Posts
IMHO, S&W 3rd generations was the peak of their pistol lineup. I only wish I get LadySmiths pistols and revolvers when they were still in production.

· Private side
13,576 Posts
Nice. Getting a little nostalgic so I’ve been looking for a straight grip, Novak sight 5996 like I was issued in the Academy. If anyone ever sees it, serial number TCZ 5623, give me a call.

· Registered
7,032 Posts
What will the scotchbrite pad do to the ss finish?
It will F it up if it's not already a brushed finish. Using a Scotchbrite pad on a stainless steel bead blasted finish will introduce fine striations (re: scratches) wherever it makes contact with the finish that will be contrary to the bead blasted finish and will stick out like a sore thumb. Use Scotchbrite -ONLY- on brushed surfaces, e.g., the sides of a pistol slide, taking care to maintain the original direction of the brushed finish.

Using the proper glass bead media and air pressure are the -ONLY- ways to restore a stainless steel bead blasted finish.

A few of my recent restoration examples to exemplify the point:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts