Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 19 or 23 I could use for EDC. I have been trying like hell to find a G43X, and it just hasn't worked out. I was so frustrated for awhile there, then I remembered, I have a Shield 1.0. I installed a clip on it so I can clip it to the waistband of jeans, etc.Here's my struggle. With no thumb safety, who carries one already racked, or are you more comfortable carrying it NOT already hot and ready to fire.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Manual gun safeties on modern polymer framed pistols are for untrained buffoons. There, I said it. And I meant it.

Yeah I have lots of training and 50,000 rounds down range. It took me a while to get to that conclusion. But….guns don’t go off by themselves. Someone has to pull the trigger. Put it in a proper holster (this takes trial and error to find one that you really like) and keep a round chambered and it will never go off unless you pull the trigger.

Get some training, put rounds down range, learn your equipment, and come to the only conclusion possible; manual safeties will get you killed and should be avoided.

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 on buying a real holster

A weapon without a round in the chamber is useless in my opinion. I also feel that a carry weapon does not need a manual safety either - but that is also my personal opinion...

·
Registered
45,199 Posts
If you're not going to use a proper holster that covers the trigger, just don't carry at all.

If you're going to carry properly then you don't need an external manual safety and should consider carrying with a round chambered to be the optimal method. Especially given the list of problems that can occur while trying to chamber a round during a time of need.

·
20,687 Posts
I have a Glock 19 or 23 I could use for EDC. I have been trying like hell to find a G43X, and it just hasn't worked out. I was so frustrated for awhile there, then I remembered, I have a Shield 1.0. I installed a clip on it so I can clip it to the waistband of jeans, etc.Here's my struggle. With no thumb safety, who carries one already racked, or are you more comfortable carrying it NOT already hot and ready to fire.
I'm perfectly comfortable carrying a striker fired pistol with a 5 pound trigger pull with a round in the chamber but only in a decent IWB holster.

All guns are dangerous and should be treated accordingly. and carried tucked inside your pants with no holster is not safe. And "Safeties" don't make guns any less dangerous.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
My Shield 2.0 has a safety but has only been switched on/off a few times to see if it works/not..
This pistol was bought the summer of 2019 for $249
Wouldn't recommend carrying it without a proper holster that covers the trigger guard
I have several holsters but tend to use a Sticky Holster for the Sheild a MD-2 & Have it in a drawer in the kitchen, It see more carry than any other handgun I have because of it's size & weight, Mine is the older 7/8 round variety Pre Plus Shield 2.0
Joystick Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Here you go, a recent thread on this topic with over 1000 replies which you can have fun reading.

Bottom line is there is no right and wrong way, only what YOU are confident and comfortable with considering your personal situation. Do a personal assesment of the pros and cons of each and yes there are pros and cons for both (which are covered extensively in thread I pasted) and then make a decision based on that unless you want to have someone else who knows nothing about you or your situation tell YOU what THEY think is best for you and go with that.

I am in agreement on getting a real holster however and my personal preference is all kydex but again check out what is available and het what works best for you.

This is the type holster I use and notice the trigger guard is completely covered and adjustable tension for how tight the pistol is held.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
The OP @SamP250 I believe is stating He uses a Techna Clip on a Shield 1.0
This Photo shows a 9C Double Stack but shows the clip
Fits onto a striker cover plate with two screws
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

NOTE: So Far not one person has said they would carry a handgun without one in the chamber
If It had a safety you would still have to work on the draw & that safety is tiny & hard to function under stress
Also these pistols are fairly hard to rack the slide on, My Brother Couldn't rack the slide on the Shield but after practice & technique could after having a Stroke

Answer is to get a Real Holster that Covers the Trigger Guard & Carry with one in the chamber

Even the Sticky Holster does that, I can stick it in my pants or pocket of my leather jacket & feel safe with it even though it has no retention or clip to hold it in place, Just it's tacky exterior.
It Covers the Trigger Guard
I never engage the safety on my Shield EVER..
It's rubbed shiny some but that's from it rubbing my body & my kydex holsters
Font Wood Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Electric blue

Photograph Font Material property Metal Personal protective equipment

The Sticky Holster I have is a MD 2 & is usually used in the LH inside pocket of my leather jacket
BUT today I stuck it in my pants appendix carry because the gun was in the holster & I was going out in a T Shirt to the grocery

On The pistol itself the M&P Shield is a great pistol & WAS priced way below a SIG P365 or Glock 43 @ The time we paid $249 for it & it WAS the newer 2.0 at the time Pre Shield Plus
Back then the SIG & Glock were $500 & the S&W was $250 = Half the Price

Stay Safe Out There

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
Need to go to the Kitchen & Make me a Ham Sandwich NOW!!
Beak Grass Terrestrial animal Wild turkey Grassland

1 - 20 of 106 Posts