close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W revolver guys

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ronin.45, Feb 12, 2010.

1. ronin.45

ronin.45

Well, I'm looking at another Smith and it has the lock. I don't like the lock but this model was never made without it. I know some people have removed the lock and plugged the hole. Is there a kit I can buy for this or is it a gunsmith job?

Thanks Guys

2. -gunut-

-gunut-

I think it is mainly something that you can do on your own. Google online and you can find some tutorials. If you don't wanna do it yourself, I am sure there is always someone you can pay to do something.

I have the lock on my 442 but don't really mind it. I don't lock it up so have no worries about it.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I don't like the lock either, but I doubt I'd remove it.

4. carbofan21

carbofan21

you can remove the 'flag' (can't remember the technical term at the moment) that sticks out when the lock is engaged, which will prevent the lock from disabling the gun. you may as well save the part, in case you decide to sell the revolver, or send it in for warranty work, whatever. it can be re-installed. there is no need to remove any other part

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I understand why the S&W purists dislike the lock. Personally I don't find it objectionable. I just don't use it.

6. Puppy

Puppy

I just toss those keys in a drawer & pretend they are lock-less.

7. Messer

Messer

8. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

The objection to the lock is they have and will, jam the revolver. Many people don't want that lock jam to occur at the wrong time, so they remove it.

9. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

10. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

It's very simple to simply go in and remove the "flag", as I've done many times now.

The lockwork itself is held in under spring tension, and isn't going anywhere, it WILL stay put, and the revolver will look stock. My S&W 329PD (.44 Mag) was my test gun, and after several hundred rounds of full power magnums, the lock is still there (but the gun cannot lock up!).

11. snappy

snappy

12. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

As above.
    Can be done.
    :supergrin:

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

14. armorplated

armorplated

That thread no longer exists. The new owner deleted it. For the OP, the thread was about 30 pages of documented cases of where S&W revolvers had locked up, when they weren't supposed to. Some locked when dropped. Others locked at the range with the hammer cocked.

There are so many pre-lock Smiths out there, why would anybody need a revolver with a lock?

15. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

FYI, those were results for multiple threads. The link must expire. Just do a search for lock failures.

16. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

You don't have to lock it up, it may do it for you all by itself. You just don't know when. I removed mine.

17. armorplated

armorplated

18. Smashy

Smashy

It's not just purists. I'm picking up a brand new 642 (no lock) next week. I'm not a purist. This will be my first S&W. I simply don't want anything on the gun (especially something I'll never use) that could potentially cause problems in a self-defense situation. For me, it's a matter of reliability, not purism or nostalgia.

19. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Its the lock and the craptastic fit, finish, material, design and manufacturing quality standards that it's generation of "Smith & Wesson" revolvers represent.

20. armorplated

armorplated

It has a lot to do with S&W selling out to the klintonistas and putting the lock on in the first place. It also has a lot to do with the fact that if Smith had tried to put it in a more obvious place, if they had tried to make it uglier, they couldn't have done a better job than they did.

Added to the above is the fact that some guns with the IL have locked up on their own, and you've got good reason to despise it. Just because your gun hasn't locked up, doesn't mean it won't lock up. Do you really want to wait until you need it to find out?

The fact is that with a little effort, an identical/virtually identical gun (to one with a lock) that doesn't have the lock, can be found. As long as they are available, there's no need to buy an IL Smith.