S&W Night Guard 329

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Small Tony, May 19, 2010.

1. Small Tony

Small Tony

Still on my quest to buy a revolver for no particular reason. I just want one. I have been looking at the S&W 629 but interested in this .44 mag. as well.

I don't have a range that rents this one. I was wondering how 329 frame does with the recoil of .44 magnum as compared to the 629 5"?

Also interested in Night Guard 325 (.45 caliber) if you care to comment. I like the idea of a revolver in my favorite caliber.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. Range Rat

Range Rat

Small Tony, I don't own a Night Guard but I wish I did. I know what you mean about the strange and unexplainable urge to buy a revolver without a good reason.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If the 44 magnum is lighter then it will be no fun to shoot. I have a 325pd and love it but a lot of the 44 mags end up on the market because people don't like the recoil and after they find out it is not fun to shoot it ends up being sold. I shoot 45 autorim out of my Smith and it is light and fun to shoot. My Smith 44 is a 629 and it still has a wallop.

4. Rick50

Rick50 average guy

I have not pesonally shot one. My friend owns one and says that with magnum rounds it kicks like a mule. He said it was uncomfortable to shoot after 20 rnds or so. He said it wasnt bad if you used 44 specials.
    I have a model 29 6" and its recoil is pretty hefty with magnum rnds.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

:goodpost:

If you want to hunt with it get a 629. If you want to go with the Night Guard get the .45ACP. You will be able to use the ammo you already have and the reloads with moon clips are great. The .44 in a light gun is no fun.

6. Small Tony

Small Tony

This is what I am leaning towards the Night Guard 325 (.45acp) for those very reasons.

I was comparing the 629 to the N.G 325 because the 325 (if going by memory) is a few ounces lighter than 629?

I love my 686+ 7 rounds of .357magnum. It shoots the .357mag with little recoil.

I don't hunt but think I have been wanting a .44magnum for ego or for collection or whatever.

I know the NG 325 will be more practical.. The choices one must make. lol

7. cal45

cal45

Know the feeling, Small Tony. I just had to get one of these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Small Tony

Small Tony

Beautiful gun cal45! I see that "44 magnum" on it and on other S&W revolvers then something comes over me saying "must buy...must buy..must buy .44 magnum"

Oh well I probably will eventually get both. How is the recoil on yours?

9. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I have a 329PD. Not the Night Guard.
    I bought it used. It had 2 previous owners.
    Each had fired it 6 times.

I can tolerate 1 box of full power loads (50 rounds). By then I am losing grip strength and start to shake. Consquently, my accuracy goes to hell. Bear in mind I am an old guy.

I also own a 360PD and it hurts me much worse than the 329PD. I can fire one cylinder of full power loads without ill effects. The second cylinder is my limit.

I suggest you find one to borrow or rent before shelling out the kind of money these light guns are bringing.

10. PISTOLHUNTER

PISTOLHUNTER

[​IMG]

I like mine.
    These revolvers were not intended to be range guns. It will kick a good bit more than a 5" 629. It you are wanting a range gun go with the 629, for carry 329 can't be beat.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

I own a few revolvers that give me some means of a good answer for you.

One is the 629-5 in a three inch bbl, the other is the 325PD, an alloy/scandium .45acp with a 2.75" bbl.

The all steel 629, when loaded with full power .44mag has potentially painful recoil..as in, bleeding hand at the web, from the backstrap and corner of wood (fingergroove) grips slamming home. With a good rubber grip, like the pachmyar compacs, it would be much more tolerable, but still stout.

The 325 weighs about half the 629, despite the fact they are dimensionally identical revolvers. With a good defense .45acp load, it's recoil is about the same, if only slightly less than the 629's. The Ahrends wood grips on the 325 help a little in that regard vs the ones on the 629.

So, you're looking at a revolver that will weigh less than half that of a 5" 629 and shoots the .44mag round. Plan on buying .44sp ammo or WEAR GLOVES.:supergrin:

12. Small Tony

Small Tony

Isn't the 329PD and other PD the lightest revolvers S&W makes? About 12 ounces? I shot one of these before in .357magnum and to much recoil for me.

My interest in the Night Guard versions is because they are heavier and have the larger size (N) frames. I figured that would take on the recoil a lot better.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I agree about gloves. They do help. My 629 is only fun to shoot for about 40 rounds and then I hate it unless I am shooting 44 specials and then it is fun. Hogue grips don't even help. My 325pd is fun to shoot for a bit and is very lightweight. I would guess that most 329pd guns end up having numerous owners because it is not fun to shoot. I see lots of young guys aka 21 yr olds buying macho guns and then finding out they are no fun. I have been there and done that. :supergrin:

14. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I've owned two S&W AirLites (a 340PD 357 magnum and a 296 44 special) and I've shot a 329PD 44 magnum. The 340PD and 329PD are brutal to shoot. The recoil is so severe that practice with anything other than low power loads is next to impossible.

I've never understood the "carry a lot but shoot very seldom" thinking. IMO, you need to practice with a defensive handgun if you expect to use it as a "survival tool". FWIW, I also think the internal lock on the 340PD and 329PD would be more prone to unintentional lockup from recoil than heavier S&W revolvers.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  15. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Perceived recoil is multiplicative.

A gun 1/2 the weight of another will have 4x the felt recoil with the same ammo.

If two guns weigh the same, and one fires a load with double the ME of the other, the felt recoil is 4x as much.

.44 magnum carry handguns are very good .44 specials. Ditto ultralight .357's in that they're overbuilt .38 specials.

Most people have trouble with recoil to the point it affects speed and accuracy significantly, whether they claim it does or not. More recoil = slower and less accurate, both, for a large fraction of even experienced shooters.

I love revolvers. I own only one semi auto handgun, and it's a trainer. If you want a fine gun, absolutely a collectors droolworthy keeper, get a S&W model 57, send it to Smith's performance center, and have it altered to fit your specs. I'd suggest a 3" barrel and possibly a round butt conversion, if that's compatible with your shooting style and your favorite grips. Gold bead or fiber optic sights, or a 3 dot set up.. dealers choice, whatever works.. but they'll slick the action and hone the throat & crown, chamfer the cylinders and radius the trigger..

the reason you want a revolver is you'ld grin for three days if you shot THAT revolver, and you're psychic so you know it already. ;)