close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W model 6946 feedback please

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Bikerboy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Bikerboy

Bikerboy

Has anyone out there owned or have any feedback on a s$w model 6946
    9mm DAO pistol,Just ordered one and not familiar with one.I have a model 908 single stack.Was hoping this dbl stack 6946 will be a good choice for ccw.Any help on this? much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

2. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

I have a 6906 (DA/SA version) and it's great. Accurate, reliable, pretty easy to conceal. I'm always on the lookout for a clean 6946, but they're a bit harder to find. The frame's aluminum so probably not as durable as the all stainless models (5900 series), but service life should be around 30k or so. First thing I'd do is change out the recoil spring unless you're getting a NIB example that's just been sitting around during the 10 or so years this has been discontinued. I like the DAO S&W 3rd generations. In pre-TSW models, the mainspring is half-cocked by the slide cycle and I like that better than the TSWs (which are quarter cocked). It's a noticeable difference in the weight of pull.

3. Bikerboy

Bikerboy

The one I bought on gunbroker is used but just holster wear mostly.Not many rounds thru it.changing recoil spring would be a good idea just for the heck of it. Thanks.I am not used to DAO,just like carrying a revolver I guess,stay off trigger until ready to fire.I carry a model 908 now.I Like one in the pipe w/safety on,thats just what I'm used to.

4. SouthpawShootr

Nothing other than a mag safety on these guns (of course the passive firing pin safety is there). The length of the triggerpull will be about halfway between the DA and SA on a TDA gun. The positive side of this is that the triggerpull (length and weight) is consistant from one shot to the next. I like that.

5. Bikerboy

Bikerboy

So if mag is released and 1 rd in chamber she won't fire.Nice.
    I like that.My gunsmith mentioned the constant trigger pull.
    Thanks southpaw.

6. SouthpawShootr

Yes, but there are caveats here.

First, LE agencies could order this without the mag safety. If this was done and it's part of a factory order, some sort of disclaimer will be on the slide. Something like "Warning, capable for firing with magazine removed."

Second, with S&Ws system (and a few others), the round in the chamber will fire with the mag removed IF the trigger is engaged (to any degree) before dropping the mag. Try it yourself (with an empty gun of course). Put just enough weight on the trigger where you begin to feel the resistance. There's just a bit of takeup initially, then you start to feel the resistnce. All you have to do it engage past the takeup it's not necessary for the hammer to move at all. Drop the mag while maintaining pressure on the trigger. Then pull the trigger all the way back.

Little disclaimer here..........you've heard it before I'm sure.......Never, ever rely on the safety in lieu of proper handling of a firearm. If it's mechanical, it can malfunction, though S&W system is very well proven.

7. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I'd like to find one..........

A few years ago, semi-auto Smiths were common and cheap locally, and somewhat looked down upon as everybody went nuts for GLOCKs, etc. {no slam, I am a GLOCK fan}

Now, they are few and far between, and the prices have risen in turn.

The last couple I have found had a bit TOO much wear for my taste, coupled with a price I thought was a tad high.

Don't know if this is a nationwide trend, but around here, people are scooping them up and hanging on to them.

Darn it.

I really don't do the Gunbroker thing, so I'll keep haunting the local shops............

8. bac1023

bac1023

I love the 3rd gen Smiths. :)

9. S. Kelly

S. Kelly

The 6946 I had was a great gun, accurate, reliable and cheap. Good carry gun, wish I could find another.

10. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

These 3rd gen Smiths are fantastic. I've got one on the way now....

11. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Great series of guns!
    :supergrin:

12. copaup

copaup

Ive got an old MPD 5946 that I'd rather carry than my issued 229r DAK. Trigger is relatively heavy but short and smooth with a quick reset. Probably the best DAO pull i've come across. Good solid pistol.

13. CBennett

CBennett

same unfortunately the ONLY ones I can find lately(and ive looked at every local shop) is the bigger "full size" ones that I have no use for. I cant find a single one I could CC :( .