close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W Model 386P: The P stands for Perfect

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Captain38, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Captain38

Captain38

or, so says gun-writer Patrick Sweeney in the Gun Digest Book of Smith & Wesson (2004), Chapter 14, pages 106-109.

He writes, "The 386P is the perfect defensive revolver for concealed carry. Light in weight, it is accurate and reliable".

Among the several photos there's one of a 386P and a Gunsite camo silhouette target showing a seven-shot clustered group measuring about 1 1/4 inches which he captions, "you wouldn't think a lightweight carry gun could shoot like a Bullseye or PPC gun, but this 386 does. A real sleeper for competition, too".

Does any forum member have sufficient experience with the 386P that would prompt them to either agree or disagree with Mr. Sweeney???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Berto

Berto woo woo

No experience with that gun, but it shouldn't be any surprise if a lightweight version can be as accurate as an all steel 686, just as my 325 is just as accurate as my 625 was.
    The question is recoil, recovery and possibly bullet creep.
    Depending on the distance, 1.25"/7 shots can be really impressive or nothing to write home about.....my Nagant revolver can do that at 50ft.

3. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

It's in the family of the 329...I just got one about two months ago. It's one hell of a fine pistol. I don't think you could go wrong with it if it fits your hands and you can shoot it.

They really hit a home run with this series of light weights. The only issue I've seen are what I call birth control grips.

The grips that cam with my pistol were so ugly they would likely reduce the possibility of feminine companionship.

4. handyman

handyman

I have one, but the front site is a fiberoptic. Would rec gloves if shooting 357 loads.

5. Range Rat

Range Rat

I've had a real craving for one of those S&W Night Guard revolvers, but think I would get the S&W 315 .38 versus the .357.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Like everyone else, I would be surprised if it didn't shoot well. Smiths are invariably accurate guns. My 325PD is very accurate even with a 2.5" barrel.