S&W Mod 12-2 worth 100 bucks?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mclaren, Jan 16, 2010.

1. mclaren

mclaren

With a cracked frame? Its an airweght and its cracked right under the barrel. The barrel is turned a few degrees too, if you are aiming the front sight is to the right. This gun is majorly battered.
    The action is smooth and crisp though. Everything is really tight. It has some goofy grips on it. The price tag was $150. I showed the owner the crack and he said he would take $100.
    Is this a paperweight? I want a project, is this a dead end road?

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I would say paper weight. With the frame cracked under the barrel it's shooting days are over. It would not be worth loosing a finger to save a few bucks.

3. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

I wonder if S&W would warranty it? If so you may be able to get a new gun for $100.

4. banger

banger

IMHO,

$100.00 is too much.

I'd take it for $50.00 though. Figure an old style hammer, trigger, crane and cylinder would be worth that at least.

In fact, strip everything side plate screws etc.. and can the frame.

DON'T PAY TOO MUCH THOUGH.

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

he's right, it's either a stripper OR you might squeeze out a warranty replacement. I'm guessing 60/40 they will, if it never went in to the factory. 'It just cracked, factory ammo, I'm sure glad I wasn't hurt, can you fix it?'

Kinda sleazy but probably doable. Stripping it is worth doing but do you need S&W parts? I might, cause I try to rehabilitate orphan smiffs that has run away to a life of shame, but you might not.

So thems your options, a sleazy new gun or spare parts. I hope you pick just how I would and enjoy the new gun.. ;)

6. eddief4

eddief4

id contact S&W and ask them what they could do for you...before buying it:whistling:

7. TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper

Yea, call Smith and see what they say. You never know!

8. Onmilo

Onmilo

S&W won't warranty repair a Model 12, it was made before that option became available.
    They MIGHT be able to replace the frame but it would cost more than the gun is worth at retail plus you would still be out your initial $100.

You won't get the hundred bucks back from a parts house either and I bet the seller already knows this.

Pass on the deal, it isn't worth the time or money you would invest, the gun is junk.