Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know WTF this means?

I was looking for some ammo and I see this on the bulkammo.com web site

NOTE: Wolf Performance Ammunition does NOT recommend using this product with any Smith & Wesson M&P 15 rifles. See http://wolfammo.com/advisory.html for more information.

Whether you use Wolf or not (I love the Wolf Gold product) this is more a problem with the gun. If the Wolf cartridge will fire out of battery then wouldn't all others do the same?

http://www.wolfammo.com/advisory.html

*** Advisory Warning - June 8, 2017 ***
WOLF Performance Ammunition has received notifications relating to Smith & Wesson M&P-15 rifles that are discharging out of battery which is evidenced by a lack of damage to the chamber and barrel extension. This shows that the rifle’s bolt did not lock into the barrel, yet the hammer was still able to strike the firing pin to detonate the cartridge and cause a failure.

These failures can cause major damage to the firearm and bodily injury. As a result, WOLF Ammunition does NOT recommend using our ammunition with any Smith and Wesson M&P-15 rifles until this issue is resolved. Moving forward, WOLF’s 100% Performance Guarantee will not cover any damages associated with Smith & Wesson M&P 15 rifle or rifle created failures exhibiting the above described characteristics.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Something does not add up here. I with the earliest post: the ammo would make no difference in a FOB situation. Bullet ain't go no name !"

Reactions: Brass3

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like there should be something you can check on a rifle to make sure it won’t fire out of battery.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I read on another forum that a Wolf rep said last year they had 7 cases of out of battery fire with M&P rifles. Some were using Wolf Gold and some were using the steel cased Wolf, both .223. Wolf usually hears of a couple cases a year of OOB failures from different brands of rifles with their ammo. The rather large amount of that one particular brand made them put the caution up about the rifles and their ammo.

I never had a problem with Wolf through many rifles. A friend of mine puts a lot of .223 steel and Gold through is MGs a year and has not had any of those failures.

Reactions: cyphertext

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It reads like Wolf doesn't want to get blamed for OOB firing/kabooms and pay for repairs on M&Ps. Budget ammo + budget rifle = something has to give.
Not all Smith & Wesson M&Ps are budget rifles just the sport.

I don’t consider Wolf Gold budget ammo either. $.30 a round - they do have sales but who doesn’t?

·
M62/76
13,160 Posts
First time I'm hearing this also. Like Gloctapus I shoot wolf mostly thru my SKS (standard Wolf) but I do like Wolf Gold in my ARs.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I read on another forum that a Wolf rep said last year they had 7 cases of out of battery fire with M&P rifles. Some were using Wolf Gold and some were using the steel cased Wolf, both .223. Wolf usually hears of a couple cases a year of OOB failures from different brands of rifles with their ammo. The rather large amount of that one particular brand made them put the caution up about the rifles and their ammo.

I never had a problem with Wolf through many rifles. A friend of mine puts a lot of .223 steel and Gold through is MGs a year and has not had any of those failures.
Read the same thing... Wolf hears of 2 to 3 OOB with their ammo and most rifles, however they got 7 reports on M&P... Could it be that S&W sold a whole bunch of $500 rifles? Add to the fact that they don't state which M&P rifle, or if the M&P rifle had the original BCG... a whole lot of questions regarding this warning.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
I tried regular Wolf today, in a brand new PSA upper. Quite a few failures to load. No problems with the Federal. I'm chalking it up to break in period. For now.

Reactions: Brass3

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I reserve wolf for AK’s and even then I feel so yucky every time I pull the trigger.
I shot a boat load of Wolf in my AKs - back when ammo was scarce and prices were sky high I bought and tried Wolf steel case in my 9 MM & .45ACP pistols - worked fine.

The little spark that flies out of the muzzle and goes down range acts like a tracer!:animlol::animlol:

Now that ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced I don’t bother with steel in my pistols - but have used it in my ARs without issue. For what I save I will be able to but another AR.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I tried regular Wolf today, in a brand new PSA upper. Quite a few failures to load. No problems with the Federal. I'm chalking it up to break in period. For now.
Gold or Steel cased?

·
Banned
45,580 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
Something does not add up here. I with the earliest post: the ammo would make no difference in a FOB situation. Bullet ain't go no name !"
Well, defective ammo could cause it, but I doubt an ammo company will volunteer that kind of info.

For instance, a high primer or damaged/mangled primer (seated sideways) could cause firing as the round stops in the chamber and the bolt begins to lock, without the firing pin being involved at all.

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
Seems like there should be something you can check on a rifle to make sure it won’t fire out of battery.
Yes, I think you could pull the bolt carrier group and hold the firing pin in the full-forward position with your finger, as you slowly moved the bolt from fully unlocked position into the locked position. The firing pin shouldn't protrude fully until the bolt is just about done rotating/locking (use a firing pin protrusion min/max gauge to check). If it protrudes fully right at the start, before the bolt begins to rotate to the locked position, then I'd say the rifle has a problem. However, there's a large gray area between obviously "bad", and obviously "good", and I can't say where the cutoff between Bad and Good would lie, as far as how much bolt rotation is needed to be safe.

IIRC, this is a function of the ledge inside the firing pin tunnel in the bolt carrier, and the wide rim at the rear of the firing pin. I suppose if the ledge in the carrier was bored too deep in the carrier tunnel, then it wouldn't hold the pin away from striking the primer until the bolt was near-fully locked, as designed.

But you wouldn't have a kaBoom-type problem unless the bolt failed to close far enough to safely lock, and then the trigger was pulled.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts