S&W M&P 9mm is GunTest Magazines "Best in Class"

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Razrbk444, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Razrbk444

Razrbk444 Sumthin' Witty Silver Member

For the M&P haters...

http://www.ammoland.com/tag/guntest-magazine/

Smith & Wesson M&P9 Pistol Named ‘Best in Class’ By Gun Tests Magazine
    [​IMG]Smith & Wesson M&P9 Pistol

[​IMG]Smith & Wesson

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. --(AmmoLand.com)- Smith & Wesson® Corp., the legendary 158-year old firearms maker, announced that the company’s Military & Police (M&P) pistol was recently named “Best in Class” for 2009 by Gun Tests Magazine.
    At the end of each year, Gun Tests Magazine surveys the work of its testing staff to review those firearms endorsed by the magazine’s testers. The “best of” selections are a mixture of the original Gun Tests evaluations and other information the editorial staff compiles throughout the year. For 2009, the Smith & Wesson M&P9 pistol earned the title of “Best in Class.”
    “One of the things that separates our awards from many others is that we don’t accept advertising,” said Timothy H. Cole, Gun Tests Publisher. “By doing this, consumers have confidence that our Best in Class selections are the result of head-to-head evaluations and that the outcomes aren’t influenced by anything else.”
    During the magazine’s evaluation of the M&P9 pistol, which was originally covered in the May 2009 issue, the test team was highly complimentary about the design and function of the polymer pistol. The evaluators cited that their first impression of the M&P9 was that it felt extremely comfortable in the hand, was well balanced and was pleasantly devoid of extraneous controls and levers.
    Ray Ordorica, the magazine’s senior technical editor, who was the original author of the May 2009 article, was quoted saying “The M&P9 provided as our test gun came in a large case with two different grip inserts to make the backstrap larger or smaller. We liked it as it was, so we left it alone. The sights were fixed, and excellent in all respects. With the M&P9, there will be no cut hands from stovepipe drills. Another nice touch (there were many) was the wavy cut of the slide to form the serrations for slide retraction. The matte-black slide was stainless, and the polymer grip was hefty enough that the gun didn’t have a top-heavy feel even when empty.”
    Throughout 2009, the M&P Pistol Series delivered strong results in diverse market sectors. In the law enforcement division, the M&P pistol continued positive growth with several full-department conversions including the Detroit Police Department, North Carolina Highway Patrol, Raleigh Police Department, Tampa Police Department, Milwaukee Police Department, Albuquerque Police Department, Washington State Patrol along with multiple state agencies and sheriff departments. Currently, over 500 U.S. police departments have approved or adopted the M&P pistol for duty use. Likewise, the M&P pistol was used extensively and with great success in numerous national, state and local sanctioned shooting matches. Engineered to become the handgun of choice for global law enforcement and military personnel, the M&P pistol design is based on input from numerous law enforcement and military organizations. The M&P Pistol Series is available in both full-size and compact models and is chambered in 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.
    About Smith & Wesson
    Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: SWHC) is a U.S.-based, global provider of products and services for safety, security, protection and sport. The company designs and constructs facility perimeter security solutions for military and commercial applications, and delivers a broad portfolio of firearms and related training to the military, law enforcement and sports markets. SWHC companies include Smith & Wesson Corp., the globally recognized manufacturer of quality firearms; Universal Safety Response, a full-service perimeter security integrator, barrier manufacturer and installer; and Thompson/Center Arms Company, Inc., a premier designer and manufacturer of premium hunting firearms. SWHC facilities are located in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, and Tennessee. For more information on Smith & Wesson and its companies, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to www.smith-wesson.com; www.usrgrab.com; or www.tcarms.com

2. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I never renewed my subscription to guntests. The reason is everytime they said something wasn't worth having I liked it and never had any issues with it. If they said something was great and I got one it would be just the opposite. It would be a POS and I would hate it. Well, at least they had that track record with me.

Maybe I should subscribe again and see what they are saying is junk now so I can go buy some more pistols.

3. oldnoob

oldnoob

Same here. I subscripted for one year and never renew that subscription. They are complete subjective on the one gun they get and the shoot that test for it. It's really not much different then ask review on GlockTalk or other similar forum, only save you $24 a year.

4. Wizz

Wizz

Most of these so called reviews are sponsor driven to begin with...notice how the ads are usually from the very same companies who's products are getting 'reviewed.' That's why I don't do subscriptions, only magazine I get is AR. And nothing against the M&P series btw, but S&W has huge advertising pull.

5. Girevik61

Girevik61

6. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL:

“One of the things that separates our awards from many others is that we don’t accept advertising,” said Timothy H. Cole, Gun Tests Publisher. “By doing this, consumers have confidence that our Best in Class selections are the result of head-to-head evaluations and that the outcomes aren’t influenced by anything else.”

7. mesteve2

mesteve2

What a bunch of xxxx!
    That was a good magazine years ago.
    Now just a waste of paper and ink.
    What a bad gun. S & W makes some good revolvers!
    ha ha

8. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Not a big fan of gun reviews. All I want to know is, is it reliable? The rest is subjective.

9. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

:rofl:

"Gun Test" is not the only magazine to comment on the superiority of the S&W M&Ps.

So far, over 400 law enforcement agencies agree and the number of PDs going to the M&P is still increasing.

I prefer my Smith & Wesson M&P to my Glocks because of its better ergonomics. Maybe with the Gen 4 pistols Glock will catch up.

10. Girevik61

Girevik61

Law enforcement agencies are switching because S&W is giving them a brand new pistol for an old one, straight across.
    It's all about $$$$

I had an M&P, I thought it was junk.

11. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Source?

12. fgutie35

fgutie35

Ahh! kind of like "Rifleman" magazine and Springfield Armory.:supergrin:

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Sure M&Ps are decent but there is no way they are best in "their class" if their class is plastic service pistols. Glock, HK USP, XD are better IMO.

The magazine gets paid to say good things about companies pistols, probably.

14. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Since I never was a fan of Kool Aid, I'll chime in. The M&P is a great pistol. So is the Glock. So is the XD, for that matter. It's all a question of what suits you best. I went with Glock because of it's track record. The M&P is in the process of building its own solid track record. They've had hiccups (as has everyone), but having owned one myself I have to say that it is a very solid gun with great ergos that gave me no problems. In the end, I sold it because I needed the money. It'll get replaced one day. I really liked it. This coming from a guy who EDCs a G19.

15. Alden2

Alden2

He's right you know.

I have one Glock and one XD, both .40s. They are both great guns, and only slightly different from each other. If I had the funds I'd buy an M&P too.

16. garand4life

garand4life

I'll put my M&P40 up against my G23 any day. For that matter I would put my M&P9c up against that same G23. They are good guns flat out. But, like anything in it's early production there are still some problems arising with M&Ps. Just as early XDs and early 1911's and early, well, pretty much everything else. It takes years to work out all the possible variables in a new design. That said I doubt so many LEOs and Feds would have adopted it if there were real concerns about it's function. Most of the comments I have read here ripping the M&P come from people who have "known somebody" or "heard something" about M&Ps. Those guys really need to keep their know it all attitudes out of honest conversation. For those who actually have the gun and have had problems cool. A lot of the problems I have heard about M&Ps could be easily remedied by simple change in gun handling or in a week of inspection at the factory. You spend $600 for a gun just to complain about something breaking then refuse to have the manufacturer fix it in place of selling it off then flat out complaining seems a little childish to me. I love my Glock. But I have put my M&P through hell on week long + backpacking trips through the deserts of NM and the mountains of CO with no real cleaning or true maintenance with minimal problems. Only the occasional FTFeed that are quickly fixed with a clearance drill. NOTE: this happened usually first thing in the morning after being exposed to a hard nights rain mixed with nasty desert sand. But after 6,000 rounds without a breakage I give it good marks. My Glock is still fairly new so I haven't had the opportunity to "test" it yet.

17. ammoguy3460

ammoguy3460

Wow, there seems to be a lot of M&P hate in this thread. :shrug:

I love my M&P 9 for it's: ergonomics, reliability, and simple ambidextrous controls. That's why I sold my G19 and G26 and replaced them with M&P's.

18. garand4life

garand4life

You went from a Caprice to an Impala, or you went from a Hyundai to a BMW... Good choice!

19. oldnoob

oldnoob

How did this thread turn into M&P vs Glock vs XD cocks fight?

20. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010