S&w m&p 45c

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KarlJ, Feb 21, 2010.

1. KarlJ

KarlJ

It's more than time to upgrade the caliber of my carry gun. I've been interested in either a Glock 30 or an M&P 45c. I like the M&P.... the little extra grip size fits my monkey paws better. My only real hold back on the M&P is the trigger is a little funky (I might look at a trigger job) and the apparent lack of holsters that are listed as fitting the 45c. Typically, a holster maker lists the M&P 9c/40c but seldom mentions the 45c.

Does anyone have a 45c and does the 9c/40c holsters fit the 45c? Has anyone heard if Crimson Trace will make the laser grip for the 45c?

2. Girevik61

Girevik61

Go with the Glock. I had an M&P .45, it sucked.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I always thought the M&P's grip was a little smaller than the G30's, though I've never fondled an SF model.

There's a good set of directions for a DIY trigger job for the M&P here.

I still want an M&P 45C real bad. One of these days I'll quit reading about them and buy one of the stupid things.

4. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

Apex Tactical has their new sear for the 45c on the mill right now...

5. KarlJ

KarlJ

Thanks guys.... I'll probably end up with the G30. Technically, the M&P 45c is actually a compact and not a subcompact like the G30 so the grip is just a whisker bigger and fits my hand better... my pinky doesn't end up tucked under the mag with the M&P.

What's really holding me back is the holster thing. I think it's one of those, "go to a custom holster maker and he'll set you up.." kinda thing. IMHO Paying $100+ for a custom holster for a mainstream pistol from a know manufacturer because nobody is making them, is ridiculous.

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Both are great guns.
    The M&Ps need to be blown out with air and oiled or cleaned and oiled before the first range trip.

Lube and dry fire and you have the M&P $.25 trigger job.
    :supergrin:

7. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

Comp-tac makes holsters for the 45c/45 midsize.

8. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

I'm a big glock fan, so I cannot fault the purchase.

However, I just went through this process this week... except I was comparing the M&P 9c and the G19.

I decided on the M&P. I'll tell you why, as it may help:

1. There are grip extensions made now that will also allow you to fit in a full sized mag. So for me, I got the flat or finger grove mag for concealment--which was a bit better than the glock-- but I can also take a full sized mag with me as a backup. That makes it a bit more modular for me than the Glock.

[​IMG]

2. The grip is a bit more sculpted, which I like. I love my Glocks and will still buy a G19 for the collection, but the changeable backstraps on the M&P are a really good feature.

3. The Apex hard sear, from all I've researched, makes the M&P trigger really nice. I'm not a big fan of the trigger out of the box, but that sear makes a big difference according to a lot of guys that I trust.

4. If you look at the slide, you get a full front to back with the sights, maximizing the sight picture. That's very important for a compact model and begins to make a big difference when you have to shoot on the move (at least in my experience).

5. The M&P took a lot of getting used to, for me. It looked like a hair dryer. It looked dramatically two tone, to me. It looked like it would be awkward to hold, and even the few I held didn't cement a place in my memory.

But when I started researching in earnest, I've been very impressed. Now I've had this gun for two days, have put 600 rounds through it, and I'm pretty well won over. It is very sleek and flat compared to how it looks. It's a lot like a glock, but it has the adjustable back straps. It seems they engineered it well and didn't waste any space (an example would be the full sight length). Even the mags drop perfectly and seat perfectly, which is nice for training and speed/admin reloads.

I remain a fan of Glock and always will be, but I think I found a really, really good answer for my 9mm carry gun. For .40 I use XD40sc, because I've been shooting it for years and know it inside and out. But most often I carry a 1911 model. As far as I know, this information will carry over just fine for the .45 M&P as well.

6. The compatac MTAC (minotaur) is one of the top IWC concealment holsters. They make it for the M&P45c.

9. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Could you be more specific please?

Thanks for this thread. I was wondering the same thing.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'm planning on getting the M&P 45c, myself.

I have a M&P 45 FS with night sights and it's been a very satisfactory pistol for coming up on almost 2 years. I've been doing a LOT of shooting with various 9mm and .40 S&W guns over the last couple of years, as well as a few of my other .45's, so I've only had time to shoot a little over 3,000 rounds through the M&P 45.

I've enjoyed shooting it much more than the other 8 pistols I own chambered in .45, though, which include 5 1911-style models and 3 traditional double action guns made by a couple of makers. It's been a fine .45 pistol ... and I want the slightly smaller compact which feels like it was made for my hand.

I picked up Comp-Tac standard paddles for both of my M&P's and I've been very pleased with them. (I lost interest in IWB some years ago.) I find the "FBI" cant in the standard Comp-Tac paddle to work well for my needs and preferences. I plan to order another Comp-Tac paddle for the M&P 45c whenever I get around to ordering the gun.

I think the G30 is a decent .45 of relatively compact dimensions (despite it being labeled a 'subcompact' within the Gloick model lineup :whistling: ). I don't find the overall grip ergonomics and dimensions to particularly suit me when it comes to spending my own money, nor do I find the SF model to offer much of an improvement for my preferences. Consider what works best for you and choose accordingly to suit yourself. Try examples of both if possible.

The grip/palm swell inserts offer some nice options on the M&P. I've listened to other instructors who are pretty dedicated 1911-users describe the small insert of the M&P 45 as offering a grip somewhat akin to a 1911 equipped with a flat mainspring housing, and I can't disagree. I finally settled on the small insert, myself.

The trigger? Mine originally came on the heavier end of the normal tolerance range, pushing the digital trigger gauge to an averaged reading of 9+lbs. I checked it out of curiosity a few weeks ago, however, and it barely reached a 6lb averaged reading. That was right after I replaced the original striker with a new one (including a new spring), too.

Personally, I prefer to curve of the trigger because I'm also a long time revolver and TDA (DA/SA) pistol shooter and I like the more traditional curve of the trigger.

I happen to feel the M&P pistol series is a real winner for S&W.

I won't be getting rid of my pair of Glocks (9/.40 subcompacts), but my next plastic-framed pistol is going to be a third M&P, and it'll be the second one chambered in .45 ACP. ;)

11. KarlJ

KarlJ

fastbolt, excellent post. I think Comp-tac is the first holster maker I've seen actually list the 45c. With a selection of inside and outside the waistband holster this will change my opinion on what 45 to get.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

"Go with the Glock. I had an M&P .45, it sucked. "

I will ask why also.

Yesterday I handled a M&P .45, a M&P .45 compact and the G 30. The compact and the G30 seemed to be very similar in size and there was not a big difference in size between the M&P and the compact. Anyone have any reason why they would choose the full size over the compact or vice versa?

And I will also ask about prices. Yesterday I saw the M&P 9 and 40 for 549 and M7P .45 for 579.

13. pitt1011

pitt1011

Don't rule out the M&P .45 midsize. You get the slide/barrel length of the compact with the grip size of the fullsize. I have one and it shoots great. I went with that size because I'm not fan of compact/subcompact pistols where my pinky hangs of the bottom of the magazine or gets pinched by grip extension on the bottom of the mag. Admittedly, I have not located too many factory made non-custom holsters for the midsize. Good pistol though.

14. dosei

dosei

With the 10 round mag in the G30, it is much more of a Compact than a Subcompact...it's size is almost the same as the G19.

Have you held a G30 with a 10 round mag in it?

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Just depends on what you want.

The full-size model is approx .5" longer than the Mid-size & compact, and .97" taller than the compact (according to the specs, if I recall correctly).

Over the course of the last several years I've come to prefer smaller weapons for off-duty and now retirement. I had to carry full-size weapons for long enough during my career that I eventually decided I liked the more compact models. (More than 10 years in a plainclothes assignment, wearing a suit or sport coat & slacks everyday, made the lighter weight, more compact models seem handy.)

While half an inch here and barely an inch there may not seem like much to some folks, getting in & out of a car (or office chair) a lot during the day showed me how even a small difference in a couple of dimensions can make a noticeable difference at the end of a 12-18 hour day.

The half inch shorter slide/barrel seems to offer me just the right length to minimize how the holster presses down onto my hip, and the slightly shorter height makes the butt seem less likely to dig into my waist, especially when sitting belted in a vehicle or in a chair less generously dimensioned.

Everyone can have different opinions regarding what seems to offer them the best compromise in comfort, convenience, safety, security & accessibility, and that's as it should be, I'd think.

I certainly spent my fair share of years carrying full-size steel service revolvers and pistols, including medium & full-size revolvers. I don't mind shifting the emphasis more toward personal comfort than sheer bulk and/or weight nowadays.

Yes, I know the saying about 'comforting v. comfortable', but that sort of concept has to be kept within context and isn't something I look as as being being axiomatic or black & white.

While I would like to see S&W come out with something in the M&P line chambered in .45 with a barrel length between their (3.25") or their 4513TSW (3.75"), I haven't heard any rumbles of a proposed M&P .45 which might be considered a 'subcompact'.
    \
    Besides, the compact model feels pretty nicely compact and well-balanced in my hands, while still being able to offer a metal bodied magazine which holds 8 rounds.

I do think that S&W has achieved something of a nice balance by being able to take only 2 different slide/barrel lengths and 2 different frame sizes and combine them to offer 3 different models.

Nicely done.

16. KarlJ

KarlJ

Personally, I'd like to see Glock come out with a 45acp compact. I went to my local shop today and almost ordered a new G30. I really like the M&P but EVERYTHING is available for the Glock... If the industry accepts the M&P 45c I might consider trading or just buying one. My local shop is getting about $570 for a new G30SF with standard sights. I saw one at a show this weekend for NIB for $530....

17. thesmiter1

thesmiter1

You just like to troll M&P threads, huh?

18. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I hate you and your well-reasoned reviews, fastbolt. You make me lust after things that I don't need to think about buying right now. lol

19. fastbolt

fastbolt

Hey, I'm a victim of myself, as well ...

The last thing I "NEED" is a 10th .45 pistol ... and yet I'm planning to buy a M&P 45c. :whistling:

20. fastbolt

fastbolt

Of course, I've spent enough on cigars in the last couple of months to pay for a M&P 45c ... :whistling: