Glock Talk banner

S&W M&P 15 Sporter

3752 Views 48 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  TangoFoxtrot
I 'm thinking of getting one of these. The reviews are all good. Thought I'd check here. First shot.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
4,815 Posts
I 'm thinking of getting one of these. The reviews are all good. Thought I'd check here. First shot.
I bought one a few years ago after going through an instructor/armorer course for work on the M&P 15T. The Sport is the base model S&W AR, and does not have a dust cover or forward assist. I usually run a few hundred rounds through it a year, including running drills with it during semi annual long gun training. I haven't had any reliability issues with it, and it has been fun to shoot.

· Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Fist of Goodness. I'm well set with handguns, shotguns and hunting rifles, but I don't have a high capacity semi auto rifle. All the reviews I have read were good. Thanks for the input. First shot.

· Registered
992 Posts
My M&P15 Sport has been a joy to have. 2K rounds downrange without a hickup, it will eat anything you feed it. Great price which allowed me to go with a red dot, angled forearm, ergo grip, Elzetta light mount and LOTS of ammo.

Reactions: ESAFO

· Registered
4,272 Posts
Had mine for a few years now... range toy and hog hunting rifle. Gets a mixture of cheap, steel cased ammo when plinking and good hunting ammo... Not real high round count through mine, but have never had a problem. When hunting, the rifle gets dirty from being strapped to the four wheeler, strapped to the jeep, or thrown in the bed of a truck... no case, covered with west Texas dirt.. always goes bang.

· Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought one yesterday at the local mom& pop sports store. I buy most everything there as I like to do local and if there's a problem they are on it. Out the door with a freebie extra mag for $650. I've watched several field strip videos and the owner broke it down right there on the counter. He's a 30 year gunsmith and a good guy.It's a bit more than my old 1911 but I think I can do it. He said if you have to bring it back in pieces, it won't be the first time. Going to test it out later today. Thank you all for your input.. Happy Shootig. First shot.

· Registered
5,267 Posts
I picked one up last Saturday and put 40 rds thru it the other day. Accurate enough for me right out of the box. I really like it. Planning on putting a hundred rds or so thru it again tomorrow

· Fightin' Fire
2,070 Posts
Friend of mine has recently purchased one. He said that it has been great. With the lack of the dust shield and forward assist, not an issue. I have put 1,000's of rounds through my Sig, never used either. Though I have never put it in an environment that required it. WM seems to have them frequently around here at great prices.

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
Have owned mine for just over a year and have around 500-600 rounds of many different brands through it. No issues and it's fun to shoot. Probably the best firearm purchase ($550) I've ever made.

· OIF 04-05
4,305 Posts
Forgot to add, if you feel confident and really have the proper training to run the AR platform having a dust cover and forward assist really doesn't matter.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
I picked one up as a spare AR. Like the others said, I've put several hundred rounds through the rifle without an issue.

· Registered
6,037 Posts
Because the cheapest Colt would be around $200-300 more than the cheapest MP Sport.
Right and you could use that same logic to justify purchasing a hi point or a Taurus over a Glock, that would make the same sense as purchasing an M&P sport over a Colt. If $200-300 more is too much for someone, if their budget is that tight, I'd argue they shouldn't be purchasing a rifle at this point in time anyway or perhaps they'd be better served with an AK like a WASR.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.