S&W j frame - square frame grips on round butt?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by seamaster, Jan 24, 2017.

1. seamaster

seamaster

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried this grip on a S&W j-frame round butt snub nose? Do you have a pic?

I searched the web and didn't find a pic.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

2. seamaster

seamaster

Found a pic. Looks a bit odd!
    [​IMG]

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.

3. snappy

snappy

Oh man...that is some kind of ugly. I've never understood putting great big grips on a tiny gun, defeats the whole purpose in my opinion. Never have cared for that look.

BobCZ and rock_castle like this.
  4. ede

ede

I had a 3" square butt 36 few years ago. With the Tyler adapter it was nice to shoot and looked good. The ugly factor would be enough to keep me away from the grips posted above.

5. seamaster

seamaster

I agree they are ugly, but I bought a set even after seeing that photo

I might hate them but I won't know until I try them.

I like how they lower your middle finger so it's not behind the trigger guard and added beef behind the frame will increase the longer length of pull.

I'm going to try them on my 340 357 mag and if they work out I'll get the 3" version.

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have seen some cases where that big (ugly) grip made the difference where a (lady) shooter could, or could not use the small 38 or 357 revolver that they already owned.

Just several weeks ago I taught a lady to shoot her boyfriend's short barrel, big grip 357 revolver because due to a hurt thumb she couldn't operate a semi auto.

The big ugly grip does have some uses. :)

janice6 and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  7. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

I agee. I bought a bigger grip for my 442 and it made it much harder to conceal in my pocket. If I'm going to carry on my belt it will be my G26 and not the J Frame.

8. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I do agree the J could use a longer length of pull, I've got a Hogue and Pachmayr for the round butt that cover the backstrap and aren't nearly as big as the one pictured. However, a boot grip stays on the guns for pocket carry.

9. tjpet

tjpet

That grip is basically a hard rubber copy of s&w's wood magna grip. It never felt good in my hand regardless of the gun it was on, rubber or wood model.

I'd look at the Hogue line of rubber grips. Much softer, size appropriate for the gun model applied to and contoured for a better feel in the hand. They're outstanding for taming recoil on hard kicking pistols whether due to caliber or size.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  10. seamaster

seamaster

I'm also waiting for a set of these which seem to be lost in shipping. I have the same gun as in this photo.

I like how high the back of the grip is. The ugly grip above isn't as high as it's designed for the exposed hammer version of the j-frame. After these two I will have tried just about every other grip out there.
    [​IMG]

11. shirojiro

shirojiro

[​IMG]

Old thread.

I recently picked up this 36 no dash from the early 1970s by sn. It’s a square butt.

The Pachmayrs were on it in the store, and I suspect they may have been why nobody wanted this little gem. I’ve got a set of faux ivory grips on order.

These grips are really oversized for this revolver, but I have to say, they feel great and the gun points really well with them. They’re bulky and they interfere with loading, both with a speed loader and individually.

I don’t think that I’ll keep them on the Gun, but I can see using them at the range or when teaching a newer shooter how to manage a small revolver. I am interested in a set of their Compaq grips now though.

My other j frame is a 642 with the stock boot grips. I really like the feel of the round butt boot grips, but they also interfere with hks speedloaders. I was thinking a little Dremel work would fix that.

Also, that revolver above has adjustable sights. Is it a Model 15? K frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I wonder if it is a 6 shot j frame in .22 with adjustable sights model 34

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Just put these on a 442, not as concealable pocket wise but damn it feels and points a lot better!

14. janice6

janice6

I put those on mine too because in rapid fire the exposed edge of the frame would peel the skin off the inside of my thumb.

Works great now.

15. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

Same here. Bigger in my pocket, but way better shooting. Wish I would have put them on sooner.

janice6 likes this.