S&W J frame ankle holster?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ATXG35, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ATXG35

ATXG35

Can anyone recomend a good secure ankle holster that wont break the bank. There are quite a few out there and I dont have any ankle holster experience.

thx

2. VaOkie

VaOkie

I've tried a couple and currently use a Blackhawk ankle rig. You can cinch it down nice and tight plus it comes with the "garter" strap. There are more expensive rigs of which most are probably better, but the Blackhawk works well with my S&W 637.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010

3. ArmedMikeL

ArmedMikeL

I use a Uncle Mike's ankle holster and couldnt be happier. It is great for the money.

4. isp2605

isp2605

I carried a 49 and then 649 in a Top Line nylon holster for a bit over 20 years as my 2nd gun. That's everyday carry in all kinds of weather and conditions doing all kinds of rough and tumble incidents. It was a great holster. Very comfortable and secure. Had a pouch for extra ammo. Unfortunately Top Line went out of business. Mine eventually got worn pretty bad after I snagged it on the top strand barb wire climbing a fence.
    I then picked up a Bianchi Model 4750 Triad which I used for the past 12-14 years. It too is very secure. I don't like the 2 narrow straps as well for comfort compared to the wider Top Line but it's not all that bad. The 4750 comes with a pad that velcros to the inside of the ankle rig to ride against your ankle. I removed it as I didn't like the added bulk.

5. Alden2

Alden2

Mine is a generic I got at a gun show (I suspect it's Uncle Mike's) black stretchy nylon with velcro and a garter strap that goes up to a wrap just under the knee.

Very comfortable for about 5 hours, then it starts to feel tight to me.

I like it though, really can't complain.

6. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

I like the old JP holsters.You can find them cheap on Ebay.

7. 1canvas

1canvas

the galco ankle glove has worked great for me for many years.

8. MOTV8R

MOTV8R

I have never been interested in carrying this way, but I came across a holster maker that has gotten nothing but awesome reviews. I now have one for my 442 and I LOVE IT! Never thought I would, but I really like being able to strap it on and forget about it.

The company is called Renegade Holsters out of AZ. They don't have a website and are a smaller mom/pop outfit, but they make one of the best ankle holsters period. I think what makes them so unique is that the material that goes around your leg is elastic, not leather, which allows you to tighten to taste. Also, and this is probably one of the things that make them more comfortable than others, is that you can make it tighter toward the bottom, which makes it fit to the dimensions of your leg. The other big names in ankle holsters like Alessi and Galco are great holsters (I have two Alessi's), but they are heavy and thick, which makes them harder to conceal. Maybe not for everyone, but with my build they wouldn't conceal well. Also, the inside of the elastic where the gun sits has a thick layer of sheep skin.

I've worn mine for 10 hours straight and not gotten uncomfortable, plus you can run or jog without it sliding down your leg.

I don't have any pics I can post, so I'll attach a link to a place that stocks a few...they have some photos. They only cost $59 delivered.

I'm the type that really likes to read reviews before buying anything, and I tried really hard to find bad reviews...but couldn't find any. Do a search and I think, for the money, you won't be able to get close with anything else.

http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=35

Here's their number: 602-482-6777

Good luck finding what you want!

9. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I'm happy with my Galco Ankle Glove.

10. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

This, I have mine own as I type :rofl:

I carry a S & W 442 (No Lock).

It is a newer gun and will handle +P Loads.

Departmental Issue is Federal 129 Hydra Shock +P.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

That's also what I use. For a J-frame you do not need the calf strap support, IMO. For a Glock 26 though it's a different story.