S&W Bodyguard 380

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lucnik, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Lucnik

Lucnik

I have one that has been back to S&W for light primer strikes. After I got it back it’s been good to go. Anyone else had problems?

2. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Did your Bodyguard have light primer strikes right out of the box or did the problem appear later?

3. milsurpy

milsurpy

I bought one from the first batch when they were brand new to the market.
    It took 3 trips back to the factory before the light primer strike issue was fixed.
    It was the last brand new S&W I WILL EVER BUY.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. n2g

n2g

I have one of the later ones, the ones branded M&P without a laser, and it's been flawless through several hundred rounds with every kind of ammo we've used. Probably a half dozen family members have shot this gun, including four inexperienced shooters. My DIL had her hand behind the slide and it bit the blood out of it and still didn't malfunction. It had no problems when my 100-lb. granddaughter who'd never shot a gun used it. I hope I'm not jinxing it by bragging on it, but I really like this little pistol even more than I thought I would.

The trigger pull is heavy but I like that. I did put some orange nail polish on the front sight. My carry ammo for it is the Hornady XTPs. My other DIL carries one in her purse and they use Critical Defense. They've had no problems with their BG, either. It's also one of the later ones like mine.

Well, I have had one minor problem with a couple of the magazines that occasionally won't lock back on empty. (Zero problems feeding and ejecting.) I number my magazines and the others I have for it always lock back. I'm confident this is a magazine problem and I make sure I carry the good ones.

When I carry it's almost always pocket carry, and my BG is the only gun I have that will fit in some of my smaller pockets. That's why I bought it, as I love my Shield 9 and my .38s but they are bigger.

I probably should add that the ammo wasn't the really cheap brands. We've shot American Eagle, Lawman, Fiocchi, Sig Saur, Hornady XTP and CD, and Speer GD in it. Not sure if we've tried HST in it yet.

Vote Trump/Republican 2020.

Maccabeus and mj9mm like this.
  5. Lucnik

Lucnik

It appeared later. So far so good. I like the way the sights are dovetailed in the slide front and rear, the takedown lever. Safety lever is too small but I do not use it. It is a beautiful handgun. Blueing is perfect. Grips like a glove. I’ll keep her.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    slamdunc and n2g like this.
  6. mj9mm

mj9mm

i have an early one with the laser, my only option at the time. would like it better without it but it's been good. i carry it more lately, more discreet...

n2g likes this.
  7. Bluescot

Bluescot

I have one that was probably somewhat after the 1st run but still new to the market that has run flawlessly with all the factory ammo I've put through it. I don't reload for the .380 but have been satisfied with the factory ammo and the accuracy of this shooter.

n2g likes this.
  8. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I’ve got one. Carried it a bit but never did shoot it that well mostly due to how far back the trigger breaks.

9. DAKA

DAKA

Light strikes, back to the factory, they replaced a bunch of parts...I found that it doesn't like any of the ammo that has "denser?" primers...
    Loaded with any of the "Personal Protection" ammo i's fine...Its my EDC always with me...
    Before the BG I had an LCP, friend wanted it so I got the BG...both good small EDC's
    This is NOT a RANGE/TARGET gun...it's a PROTECTION weapon that you ALWAYS HAVE WITH YOU.

10. Smith46wesson

Smith46wesson

The only issues I’ve had with mine has been the slide never locks back on any of my 3 magazines. My LCP didn’t do that either and the M&P has much better sights so I really haven’t cared too much.

11. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I have an early model with the Insight laser.

I don't recall ever having light strikes. Certainly no ongoing problem.

Mine did have the early walking takedown pin problem. Shoot 2 magazines, push pin back in. Shoot a couple more, push it back in. Sent it back for the fix. No mechanical problems of any sort after that.

The laser did die on me once. Sent it in to be replaced, but since I didn't find the laser useful, I took the whole unit out.

My only complaint is the blacked out sights. If I were still carrying it instead of my G43, I'd add an aftermarket front sight. Instead, I also have neon nail polish on the front. Tried green, but settled on orange.

Also, I've had 100% success with MagGuts spring kits, which gave me 22 rounds on hand when I carried it.

WP_20160708_024~2.jpg

CanyonMan likes this.
  12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Both of mine have been flawless....

CM
    :horse:

!cid__IMG_20150626_135525600_ - Copy.jpg

Maccabeus likes this.
  13. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

And, here's why I keep my BG380 even if I'm not currently carrying it (and why I sold my Bobergs that were supposed to be super accurate). Same distance. Same rate of fire:

Comparison - XR9-S vs BG380.jpg

boilergonzo and CanyonMan like this.
  14. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

CM-

How do you compare the BG380 to the LCP?

I came to the Bodyguard from the Little Copied Pistol's inspiration: a KT P3AT. I prefer the S&W substantially more than the KT as it feels like a real, even if small, pistol as compared to a cheap toy. I understand the LCP to be a much more refined P3AT.

Of what you have, which do you prefer?

CanyonMan likes this.
  15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well amigo, you are correct in that, the LCP (mine is Gen 1) is more 'refined' than the KT. I like the LCP, and it has been flawless even with ALL my hard cast hand loads. No complaints.

However, being a 1911 guy, I just gravitate to the little Smith BG380 between it and LCP. I like the thumb safety, "because" I am used to reaching up there on a 1911, so it comes 'fast and very natural' for my brain/hand/muscle memory...

Your are also correct, in that the BG feels more like a real gun that does the LCP. I like the sights (what there is of them), on the BG better ( I painted the front one white) and like the slide lock/safety, because IF and when, I carry the little guy, it is deep down in a front pocket of my
    wranglers, and I don't concern myself at all with that like I do the LCP! :alex:

As far as accuracy, well, its a belly gun! However, I hold good groups with 'Both,' at 3-10 yds, and the BG shoots all hand loads flawlessly as well... I think they both shoot better than folks give them credit for, because the average shooter flinches and complains about 'pop' to the hand alot from what I've seen, and they either give up on it, or just don't shoot it much... Guess my hands are to used to big bore hog legs. HA. As you know, they are meant for 'up close and personal,' but I do like the fact I can shot a good group with them a little further out. ;)

Like the LCP and BG both, but if I had to pick one or the other off a table to carry, it would be the BG... Just built better and feels better, and for the way I use it, I like the rear slide safety.

Also the slide locking back on an empty mag is a good touch as well.

Be safe.

CanyonMan
    :horse:

boilergonzo and Maccabeus like this.
  16. plp

plp

Yep, have had light strikes as well. The beauty of DAO, just pull the trigger again and BANG! After the 3rd FTF, rack the slide and conclude it was just bad ammo. Have had some light strikes that were on me, babied the trigger, trying for that JM 50 yard shot, and could feel something not click quite right.

BTW, the Bodyguard sucks at 50 yards, if anyone is curious.

17. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I bought an FDE one for my wife with the laser. She loved it, but couldn’t run the slide due to lack of hand strength. It was 100% reliable. We ended up selling it and getting her an EZ .380.

18. banger

banger

Mine is an early one.

I had numerous reliability problems with mine, including the light primer strikes.

HOWEVER, things greatly improved once I removed the "cat toy" laser.

What on Earth ever made them put that piece of junk into a pistol.

19. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

What's that holster in the picture? I like the offset clip.

20. Smith46wesson

Smith46wesson

This thread reminded me that I hadn’t shot mine in a while so yesterday I sent 50 rounds down the pipe. 10-15 yards on an 8in plate. It did pretty well.

Maccabeus likes this.