Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
American Outdoors is spinning off S&W into a publicly traded company. The article I saw listed were a steep decline in gun sales over the past 2 years, boycotts by antigunners hurting sales of other products and liability exposure. SCOTUS not stopping the Sandy Hook lawsuit a couple of days ago and this announcement are not a coincidence.

The decision that passing a law that says you cannot be sued for legally selling a gun someone does not mean you cannot be sued for exactly that is really frustrating. That's not how democracy is supposed to work. The claim that Remington engaged in false advertising because it said the guns had civilian uses and can therefore be sued because that is illegal is absurd. I still hope it fails but it should have been thrown out.

I wish I could get mad about American Outdoors decision but the truth is I am not going to be buying any S&W stock when it is available. If lawyers start suing anyone that ever sold an AR all those M&P Sports are going to be a huge liability.

·
Native Mainiac
23,380 Posts
Maybe without the restraints of their parent company they will get rid of the awful lock on their revolvers and come back to nice revolvers...even if they have to charge more and become a smaller player in the market.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I must be the odd one out.
I've been buying their performance center revolvers for years.
They are awesome and some of the most well made and accurate firearms I own.
Their model 41 in 22LR is an absolute tack driver.

Folks aren't buying (as many) guns at present due to the feeling of security presented by a Republican administration. Wait till we get closer to the election, particularly of it starts looking close.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
S&W hasn't really been S&W for a very long time
Not with me, and apparently there’s a pressing need for other models that sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
As usual, this is not nearly as nefarious (Chicken Littley) as everyone wishes. Its all about maximizing share value and dividends. GE spun off its transportation division this year for the same reason, and since it wasn't a firearms division no one here cared one bit.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
...SCOTUS not stopping the Sandy Hook lawsuit a couple of days ago...
I understood it to be the Connecticut Supreme Courts ruling, not SCOTUS, that the lawsuit could proceed. Did I misread that?

Reactions: pizza_pablo

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understood it to be the Connecticut Supreme Courts ruling, not SCOTUS, that the lawsuit could proceed. Did I misread that?
The US Supreme Court did not put the appeal on their docket so the Connecticut ruling still stands and the lawsuit will go forward. Even if it eventually fails Remington is going to have to pay for a lot of lawyers.

I don't know what Remington's exact claim was when they appealed to the SCOTUS. I don't think you can appeal just because you do not like the lower courts decision.

·
Registered
32,189 Posts
More than a few revolvers Smith has made in the last 20 years I have wanted to buy but knowing the failure rate of that lock I have passed. Other makers have no comparable models.

·
Descent Terminated
33,517 Posts
The Shield and M&P Sport II are two of the most popular guns on the market.
Shields are selling for $200 ... Looks like panic selling ... :wow:

31353-rebate_1.jpg

Palmetto State Armory

Reactions: larry_minn

·
Registered
21,755 Posts
I am actually surprised that S&W is losing money. They do make some good guns, and my understanding is that gun sales are up since Trump took over and the Dem gun grabbers keep carping.

oh well, I have plenty of guns and am not in the market to buy so it really does not affect me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts