S&W AR-22 -vs- GSG-5 rifle experiences so far....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FLIPPER 348, Jan 3, 2010.

1. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

It's fun!

Well they both are quite fun. The S&W is light weight but more durable than I thought it would be.

After about 500 rounds the S&W is proving to be much more ammo sensitive. It will not shoot Rem Golden Bullet bulk-pac at all. Many FTFs and FTEs per mag, Nor will it shoot Peters solids ...as out of the 50 I attempted to shoot (thankfully I only bought one box) about every other shot would fail to chamber. The American Eagle stuff chokes like Mama Cass on a ham sandwhich. It will shoot CCI mimi-mags, Federal bulk-pac, Blazer, Wolf, Federal Champion solids and any of the older .22 stuff I have around. Loading to 24 rounds per mag makes things better all around.

The GSG, over 6000 rounds, will pretty much happily shoot anything without a hitch. The only ammo it had trouble with was American Eagle bulk.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. FLIPPER 348

I've made a few mods to the S&W, ditiching the factory irons for a HK style diopter, Hogue grip, some rail covers, magpul back-up front sight and FakePoint micro red dot. Once I can get some time on the lathe I'll install a GI flash hider.

3. FLIPPER 348

The GSG mags are easier to load, from inserting the rounds to the stacking/profile in the mag.

From a rest and off hand the GSG is more accurate out at 75+ yards with the factory iron sights. Short of 75 they both are laser beams on enemy Heineken cans and evil orange clays.

The GSG has the exact feel, weight and recoil of the MP-5. The S&W is much lighter then the M4 but gives the same vibe when shooting.

Cleaning-wise the S&W is a breeze, just like the real thing but w/o all the gunk in the operating system .... while the GSG is a PITA requiring tools for disassembly.

I would recomend both rifles for happy trouble-free .22 fun.

My GSG is pretty much stock. I will be SBRing it soon and ditching the goofy fake can.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good report.:)

My experience with the Smith and GSG is about the same.

Also, the best cheap ammo I've found is the Wal Mart Federal bulk pack.
    The Remington works good in some semi-auto pistols but not the Smith.
    My new SIG 522 hates the Remington.

I've used the S&W to teach two females to shoot the AR. After running a bunch of (inexpensive) 22 through the Smith they were immediately comfortable with my Bushmaster M4.

5. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

Only negative is the GSG is no longer to made since the HK lawsuit so If memory serves once they are sold out in the US they are gone. That will present a parts problem in the future.

6. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Thanks for the report as I just purchased a M&P 15-22 and was curious about which ammo to purchase. Looks like I won't be buying in bulk till I see which ones work in it.

On a side note, it seems like CCI Mini Mags seem to work in most .22's no matter which firearm I've shot.

7. FLIPPER 348

Intresting thing, the Federal bulk from Wally*World is different then the Federal bulk packs I get from our local chain called BiMart here in the Northwest. The Wally stuff comes in a brighter colored box and has lower velocity and energy numbers. They both seem to work just fine but I can tell the difference at 100 yards with a scoped 22.

No worries on the GSG parts situation as they still will provide them.

8. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

I know they said they will keep the parts but I'm a little hesitant that they will stay in business after the lawsuit and their most popular item cannot be sold. Hopefully it works out, I'd actually like their AK variant because the barrel lends itself easily for threading for one of my .22 suppressors.

9. FLIPPER 348

Just go buy a GSG 5 and enjoy it. You would hate to miss out on how fun they are just because you are worried about a 'what if' situation.

10. pntblnk

pntblnk

Same experience with my S&W 15-22 on ammo. The Remington won't feed and jams 2-3 times per clip. The Federal will run all day long without a single hiccup.

Funny thing is that I can take the exact round that jammed / wouldn't feed in the S&W and put them in my Ruger 10-22 and they run great. Go figure. :dunno:

My Ruger will feed anything I put in it! :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

11. bubbaturbo

bubbaturbo

Actually I believe "what if" situations are very good things to at least think about and plan for.

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, I know what you mean. I've got about a brick of the other Federal. It's not the same ammo.

I shoot so much 22LR that I have to shoot cheap ammo, so I try and find what gives the least problems in which gun.

I hate trying to keep track of how much I shoot in different guns but I'd guess about 2,000 in the S&W M&P, over 500 in the SIG and I haven't a clue how much through the GSG-5 rifle and pistol.

I figure the Smith paid for itself last month in .223 ammo savings.

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

ATI has already stated they are not abandoning the people that have already purchased the GSG-5. They are not allowed to produce more complete rifles but they are still going to make parts.

In addition to that, they are just going to make enough changes to the design to get around the lawsuit and continue selling the rifle.

14. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Both my GSG-5 and S&W M&P15-22 have worked near flawlessy. I read prior to getting mine that the M&P doesn't like Remington so I have pretty much stayed clear of it. But they both shoot what I consider to be the most inconsistent and low powered ammo in my small stash, and that is the Aguila. I think I have had one failure of the bolt to lock back after the last round with M&P, aside from that, I can't recall any more problems except the occasional failure to fire after multiple strikes. But I consider that an ammo problem anyway.

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

For a while I have been pulling the bullets on duds. Every time, there will be no primer in the rim. I have a small bottle half full of duds that I saved. Federal, Winchester and Remington, mostly Remington.

Shooting the SIG 522 yesterday we had several duds.
    I picked up one, a Remington, that had two good firing pin hits.
    I have it here.........................................

I pulled the bullet. Surprise there is no sign of primer in the rim of the case.

Terrific quality control now days.

16. ManNamedJed

ManNamedJed

I didn't think there was anything out there that runs reliable with Rem Golden .22. That ammo seems to be the worst of the bulk stuff.

My SW MP AR22 works great with everything but Fed Automatch. Strange since its supposed to be formulated for semi-autos.

17. FLIPPER 348

my GSG, P-22, S&W 422 and 10-22 all run fine on Ren Golden bulk-pacs

18. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

ATI doesn't produce anything. They import and distribute stuff that other people make. The ATI statement related to the lawsuit said that they will "...continue to service every firearm that they import into the USA."

FWIW, ATI must stop sales of the GSG-5 by 1/31/10. Since GSG had to cease production by 10/08/09...it would seem logical that the availability of parts would eventually become an issue.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  19. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

20. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs