close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W Airweight Advice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kentucky Shooter, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I have an itch for a S&W J-frame airweight revolver. Does anyone have a recommendation of the 442/642 with no external hammer as compared to the 638 with the shrouded hammer to the 637 with the full external hammer?

This would obviously be a carry, self-defense gun, but would also be nice to be able to have some decent, snake-head accuracy at snake encountering distances out in the bush.

Thoughts? I would appreciate any help or advice.

2. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

I would get the 642 for carry because you have less of a chance of it getting hung up on something.

3. Thiokol

Thiokol

All three are +P rated so it's going to come down to your personal preference. I have a 442 and I really like it.

4. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I like the 642/442 for true pocket carry. not much chance of any pocket lint, crumbs etc. fouling up the works.

5. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys---------keep em coming. What type of accuracy at 7 to 10 yards can you expect from the 442/642?

6. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I just bought a 642. Conceals nice. Recoil is not to bad. I need some work on accuracy. I have only had it for a week, but I really like it.

7. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I prefer the 638 myself, carry mine all the time and have never had a snag or lint problem.

Either one is great.

8. yerscattergun

yerscattergun

I'd take the 638 also, because I like the option of a precise shot(unlikely
    but possible).

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

All of my DA revolvers are pretty much shot DA only these days, so for a pocket J frame I like the Centennial ("hammerless") the most since it also has less holes for crud to get in.
    That said, the Bodyguard and Chief's layouts are just as good of weapons and allow the SA feature if you like the option.
    I have versions of all of them, they all get used.

10. smousefam5

smousefam5

I had a 649 that I was forced to sell for financial reasons. SWEET shooting little gun. It would shoot under two inches right at POA at 10 yards with +P 158 LSWHP's. Geez, I miss that gun!

11. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I love my 642's!

If you are new to snubs, be aware they will take alot of practice to become proficient with. Although in doing so, I have found them to be very accurate and even +P loads are a pleasure to shoot.

[​IMG]

12. ftlupton

ftlupton

I had the 638 and really liked it. Wife and I got our concealed permits and she liked the Ruger LCR so I traded my 638 straight across for another LCR. She loves hers, she did not like my 638. I'm happy to have the matched pair but the 638 was a great handgun.

13. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

THIS. I myself, love my 438.....:supergrin:

[​IMG]

14. bamarammin87

bamarammin87 h8tr

I carryed a 638 for awhile. I loved it. It doesn't get "caught up" in your clothes or anything. I pocket carryed mine all the time, cept for at college in a IWB. I preferred it over a 642. Now I have a new model 40 tho, only because they didnt make another shrouded hammer classic style in nickle, or I woulda bought that. I love that shrouded hammer. It's nice when you have a few seconds to cock the hammer before taking a shot at a snake. I didn't have trouble with lint. I'd blow it out with a air gun once every couple weeks just in case.

Plus, if it ever the cylinder ever got caught up, it's nice to have a hammer to help get it free. I doubt that'd ever happen tho, as evidenced by me buying a no-hammer snubbie a couple months ago.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  15. ronin.45

ronin.45

I had a 637 and it snagged way too much on the draw out of my pocket so I started drawing with my thumb on the hammer. The hammer is carbon steel so it started to rust from me touching it a couple times a day. I upgraded to the 638 with the shouded hammer. No more snagging but the hammer still started to rust and the shroud was a lint collector. The funny thing is that I got those two models so I could shoot them single action and then never did. These guns aren't made for single action so just get the DAO 642 and be done.

I copied my answer from another recent post. It seemed to help him.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->