S&W 929 Review

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rds95991, Mar 12, 2017.

1. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I just got a call from Federal about the cartridge separation.

Evidently, this is not a rare ocurrance. Supposedly Ruger in its manuals has a warning about semiauto cartridges in revolvers and bullets that creep out.

Federal advises to shoot a couple of cylinders of the bullets you want to use with the exception of one bullet in each cylinderful to verify the last bullet is not loose due to recoil.

As I only shot six of the eight with the one the separated, I checked the last bullet and it was still tight.

I can understand this in a small revolver like a Ruger pocket type pistol, but the 929 is 44 ounces with a 6.5 inch barrel and compensator so I can't believe this is the issue here. A bullet being shot in a 938 or even a 43 and then stripped from a mag and slammed into a chamber would experience far worse forces than in my 929.

I personally feel that the aluminum does have the strength to retain the bullet like brass or even steel does.

That being the case, I guess I have to go to brass cases when shooting my 9mm revolver.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't have problems with aluminum case ammo in my Blackhawk Convertible.

But I have extraction issues with my LCR9mm. However I think it's a gun issue than ammo issue because another person didn't have issues with aluminum case ammo in his 9mm LCR.

3. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

As I posted, this was directly from Federal. They didn't say it happened all the time but that they had a lot of complaints and explained the weakness of a semiauto taper crimp vs a revolver bullet with a cannelure and a roll crimp. Ruger specifically posts the same concerns on page 12 of their manual for LCRs in 9mm.

To me it defies logic but I will try another brand of ammunition. My main reason for using the aluminum ammunition was for matches where you cannot retrieve spent casings. This is not a concern with a revolver. Also, since the cartridge is fully supported I have no problem using reloads using cases from nonsupported chambers.