S&W 929 Review

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rds95991, Mar 12, 2017.

1. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I took my brand new Performance Center Jerry Miculek S&W 929 8 shot 9mm revolver out for testing today.

[​IMG]

Light for its size and great SA trigger I was excited.

First I thought I would try to shoot it without the moon clips. Doesn't work even though it appears to seat on the case rim. The light primer strike on the top cartridge is from my attempt:

[​IMG]

One of the three moon clips I received would not hold a 9mm case in any of its sections but at least two of them were okay.

I went through six shots and recoil was very light due to the barrel length and compensator. I saw that it was shooting about three inches to the left at 10 yards. Looking at the sights, I don't wonder why as they were set to the left.

[​IMG]

When I opened the cylinder (there were two shots left) a bullet fell out of one of the cases and the case the bullet came out of spilled its powder. This is Federal 9mm in aluminum cases:

[​IMG]

I made a rough adjustment on the sights and found I couldn't close the cylinder. I checked the ejector rod, the extractor, and under the extractor and no problem was found.

Well, I got it from Davidson's so I'm shooting an email off the them.

All on all a bummer of a day due to the gun and ammunition. Federal is getting an email also.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. norton

norton

Hmm. Bullet creep perhaps? Revolver rounds normally have a roll crimp. It may be due to neck tension. I would suggest trying other types of ammo.

3. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I shoot this all the time in my semi's. Recoil is so light that it shouldn't back out even with a taper crimp. It recoiled about a much at my MkIII Ruger 22 pistol. This is a 44 oz gun.

I will see what Federal says. Fortunately, I have the box with the lot numbers.

norton likes this.
  4. Johnix

Johnix

Powder might have made it into the action. Had it happen with reloads in my ruger sp101

5. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Possible, though I don't see how. When I find out what happened, I will be sure to post it. I don't want to take it apart and have them blame me for the fault.

6. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

9mm is considered a pistol round even though in this case it is being fired in a revolver. 9mm rounds get a taper crimp not a roll crimp.The moon clips are used to hold the cartridge because the case head spaces on the mouth of the cartridge in a pistol whereas revolver rounds headspace on the rim and therefore can be roll crimped.

norton likes this.
  7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Wow, that's a rough first outting for a gun. Sorry to hear.

8. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

It is very disappointing that a gun from S&W's performance center has issues right out of the box.At the price of their PC guns one would expect that it would at least live up to the PC moniker.It seems that the customer has become the quality control person.I thought these guns were given more attention to workmanship and finish but i've also seen a friends PC gun have issues out of the box.Unacceptable.

9. ede

ede

For what it cost you don't get a lot. I shoot Short Colts in mine instead of 9mm. Moons are cheaper and not as sensitive to what cases I run.

10. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I got it because of my good luck with the Pro Series revolvers I purchased. I hope Davidson's stays by their promise. Never had to return a gun to them before.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

Performance Center is mostly an aesthetics package anymore.
    Aluminum cased 9mm has always had virtually no crimp in my experience. Try some brass ammo before you get too sad.

hogship, Berto and orangejeep06 like this.
  12. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Blazer had to stop producing 357 sig aluminum cased ammo. Under recoil the bullets would get compressed into the case making way too much pressure.

Sorry to hear about your first outing with a new revolver. That is not great experience.

13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

What is the thickness of your moon clips? I also had problems with light primer hits with a new 929. Finally installed a longer firing pin and used thicker moon clips. Problem seems to be solved.

As I understand it, that is a common problem with a lot of the 929's.

wp

orangejeep06 likes this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

The "Performance Center" is little more than a marketing gimmick these days. It's not the custom shop it once was.

That's why they no longer produce high end handguns.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    fx77 and orangejeep06 like this.
  15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

The 627 moon clipped guns seem to have it too. I sent mine back around Christmas time and it came back marked "repaired firing pin and yoke". Since it only had two boxes of .38s and one of .357 through it, I doubt that I wore it out. Not sure they have the design right on these, mine would misfire one or two out of 8 without moon clips and one or two out of a box of 50 even with moon clips. If I had it to do over I would have got a 625 PC instead. I haven't heard of any problems with the .45s.

16. ede

ede

S&W has had an issue with FPs not being correct length. I'd not run extended FPs because of other problems they cause unless it was an Apex FP. My 929 came with .024 TK moons if I remember right. I bought 40 .035 moons before dumping 9mm for .38. I couldn't believe how much the trigger sucks on the 929 to be called a PC gun. Like has been said above PC is more an appearance package than performance package. Lot of the early 929s had the barrel over cocked making the front blade considerably off center.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. Wyoming

Wyoming

I see a future post on where the cut off is on good guns that were made in custom shop and "pretty up" production guns.

You would be doing us a big favor and we love seeing your pictures.:supergrin:

18. Glockster17

Glockster17 Millennium Member

I shot some of the Federal Aluminum 9mm out of my Glock 26 and had a huge poa/poi shift. More than any other target ammo that I have used. Won't buy again.

19. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

These are S&W moon clips that came with the gun. The only I had light primer hits was when I didn't use a moon clip. I saw a rim in the chamber and it seemed that the cartridge headspaced on that rim.

20. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I'm thinking may powder is lodged in the cylinder latch. I am going to take another look before I send it back.