close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W 65 4" Vs. Glock 17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BALLM, Sep 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BALLM

BALLM

What do you think? I have two S&W 3" k-frames (a model 65 and 66) and a glock 19. They are all ideal daily carry guns. I now want a full size gun for carry and nightstand duty. Here are my choices

1. Glock 17 nightsights-main advantages are capacity and the ability to mount a light

2. S&W model 65-main advantages are ability to practice at home with snap caps (very valuble to me) and i already have oodles of speedloaders and holsters that would fit it.

Help me decide!

2. pwrtool45

pwrtool45 /etc/moron.conf

Selecting the Glock 17 would give you two Glocks and two S&W K-frame magnums. That would better balance your collection and give you redundancy in case one of the revolvers or one of the Glocks goes down (e.g., due to catastrophic failure, regular maintenance needs, etc).

Not that there's anything wrong with having *three* K-frame S&Ws. ;f

3. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Am I reading you correctly... you have a 65 and a 66 and you are considering as one of your choices another 65?

I have both of the wheelguns that you have (except that you have a 66 and I have a 19... same difference for this converstation). I also have a Glock Model G19.

And I have a Glock 17.

I have found the 17 to be almost as easy to carry as the G19.

Have you considered getting an N frame wheelgun? Maybe a 625 N Frame chambered in .45 ACP? Moooooonclips!

When I was in your position, I went to the N frame.

4. Stainz

Stainz

I think that .38 Specials - particularly the 158gr LHPSWC +P rated so-called 'FBI Load' - are excellent for in the home. Collateral damage is way down, as the lead rounds will likely not exit the home's walls. Some 'one shot stop' ratings place that load from a 2" .38 6% higher in stopping than the typical 230gr .45 ACP ball round, my long time favorite. The typical high speed .357 Magnums are supersonic and capable of piercing car doors, as they were initially designed to do. Unless a BG hides in your fridge, you likely would never need that... or the injured neighbor a few doors down, should you miss. The supersonic 'crack' of even standard 115gr 9mm ball ammo would, like the .357 Magnums, be deafening in a small space, too.

A great .38 Special, often +P rated, is the S&W M10 - particularly the 4". You can find good used LE trade-ins at pawn shops, etc, for $150-$200 in decent shape - often more holster wear with little mechanical wear. I would consider a 4" 64, a SS version of the 10, if you don't like blued guns. Also, the 67 is an adjustable sight version of the 64/10. All of the K-frame sixshooters will share the same HKS speedloaders - your 65 & 66 will have friends!.

I am jaded, of course, towards revolvers... to be expected in a forum named 'The Wheelhouse', I guess!

Stainz

PS I owned a G21 for years... hated it, but never knew why... it was the purity of the revolver taking it's hold on me! Actually, my wife's long time home piece was the CZ75B I bought her new years ago - probably the finest and most reliable 9mm I have ever shot... but then, I don't like the 9mm round - or bottomfeeders... and, she loves the 3" 65 I fixed up for her.

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

thats a hard one................

i carry a g36, but have a s/w 681 for as a "house gun".