close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&W 629 SD or SP?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lonewolf01, May 29, 2003.

1. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

I was in a gun store looking at the S&W 629 mountain gun....wow, it's huge and heavy. I commented on its size to the sales guy and he then showed me a 629 light I think it was like a 629 SP or something like that. I'm sure it'll hurt like hell to fire but not if your life depended on it. It's so much lighter than the regular 629. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think that's the way to go. I mean, it's not like I'd fire the thing for fun, just lug it with me in the woods in case I need it for either 2 legged or 4 legged creatures.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I own the 629 mountain gun. I think it's just about perfect. I looked at the trail boss version with the 3" barrel. They weren't that much lighter. Sure every ounce counts when hiking, but it matters even more the other way when actually shooting.

Even the mountian gun is a real handful with full power hunting loads. It's not just the pain factor that you have to worry about. You actually have to hit your target. I'm a pretty decent shot with a handgun, but the power of the .44 mag in such a light package takes some getting used to.

The new airlight titanium .44mag is just plain sadistic. From reviews I've read it has more felt recoil than the new .500 S&W! It's been described by almost everyone as "straight painful".

I'm a stickler about the weight of my gear, but I wouldn't go any lighter than the mountain gun in .44 mag. I pack it around for hours on end and even with the crappy holster I have for it, I forget it's even there.

If you end up getting a light .44 and don't handload, start out with winchester silvertips. They are the mildest factory load I've tried to date. If you do handload, check some of the threads in the reloading forum. I've started a few going through my load development and that could give you a good place to start.

Good luck.

3. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

Thanks for the input. Do you know what the weight differnce is between the two?

Also, why can't I find it listed on the S&W website? Is it that new?

4. Rabon

Rabon

Jake01
    Have you considered a single action revolver? It is hard to beat the level of power offered for the weight of the gun.
    Have a nice evening, Rabon...

5. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

I don't know what I need. I just want something if I go hiking or fishing. I don't want it too heavy but want enough caliper to stop any unwanted attention from 2 or 4 legged creatures.

How about the .44 mag 629 in 4 or 5 inch barrels?

6. paulthelefty

paulthelefty

Check the August issue of Combat Handguns. (Yes, it's already on newstands) Big article (8 pages) on the new 329PD (only 27 ounces!) and a short barreled 29. Looks like it is exactly what you are looking for, but not cheap. The 3 series I have seen are going for over $500 new.

Paul

7. Jitterbug

Jitterbug

Try a G-29 loaded up with 200 grain Texas ammo FMJ's, carry's like a dream, accurate and very shootable. You can practice with something milder. Re-loads much faster then any wheelgun. Neither the 10mm or the .44 is a "great" bear gun. The way I figure it, if I can't handle any 4 legged critter with 10-10's in the head or neck area. Another 9 rounds on my belt. I'm SOL anyways.

8. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

Thanks but I don't want a pistol in the woods due to exposure issues and too many moving parts.