S&W 4043 or 4006

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by NowAGlocker, Feb 15, 2010.

1. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Does anyone have experience with Smith & Wesson 4043's, 4003's or 4006's. Which is the best? What are the pros/cons? I would probably use it as a pickup gun and for fun shooting, therefore, weight isn't a big deal. It would also be my first 40. Any feedback from experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

If weight won't bother you, go with the all steel 4006. I did have the DAO 9mm version for a short time, and I did not like the trigger compared to the 5906 DA/SA. The 4006 is an excellent pistol to own.
    JMO

3. Rick50

Rick50 average guy

I have 4046, which is a 4043 that has no alloy All steel.. It DAO, and it weighs alot. I carried it for years. It has been very reliable and is a very accurate.I probably put 1000 rounds thru it a year. No Extras dao. No safety. If the weight doesnt matter to, in my opinion it is a very good pistol. I did get alot of comments about my boat anchor.:supergrin:

4. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Not to take away from the purpose of the thread, but I have been watching Miami Vice on Hulu recently and was wondering what that is that Sonny is carrying. In the Pilot, it looked like Tubs had a S&W 649 Bodyguard.

5. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Carried it on duty for about a month. Could not believe how heavy it was compared to my G22. I had one with the adjustable sights and it was very accurate. I had no problems at all with it. Just very heavy. This helps as it also soaks up alot of the snap of the recoil. It showed an accuracy preference to 180 grain JHPs compared to Remington 155 JHP which was our duty load at the time. I also owned a 4043 and it had a good trigger on it as well, but when it all came down it it, the G22 was lighter and had more magazine capacity. 3rd Gens are awesome guns and very underrated. I honestly feel the weight is their only downfall. The 4006 and 4043 use the same magazines. You will be happy with either one. Good luck.

6. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Got my brother a 4043 and he really likes it. I think it shoots very well, and the DAO is not as bad as most others I've fired. I would pick one up for myself if I caught a good deal and could see it in person first.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

"but I have been watching Miami Vice on Hulu recently and was wondering what that is that Sonny is carrying. In the Pilot, "

I am thinking he used a Bren Ten and a Detonics as an ankle gun. Was there a scene in the pilot in which officers pull the wig off the hit man
    who is dressed as a woman?

8. NowAGlocker

NowAGlocker

Yes there was. It looks like you were right, but not in the pilot.
    http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id5.html
    "In the original two-hour premier he carries a Browning BDA in .45 Auto (this is the European heel mag release version of the Sig-Sauer P220 imported by Browning). After this though, he carries a Bren Ten for the rest of the first two seasons."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  9. Bruce M

Bruce M

"Yes there was." Thanks I remember it well. I thought we were doing traffic when I signed up for the detail but instead they wanted us for that. Then they fed us at the Fountainblue.

10. mixflip

mixflip

I carry a 4006TSW tactical at work. (which is the same as the regular 4006 just with a light rail and better sights) Its a nice stainless steel piece of work but its not on my list of must have guns.

For every day duty use I hate it. Its heavy and its got the decocker & safety on the slide which I hate even more than the weight issue.

For a HD gun or range gun I guess I could live with it if I got one for free or at a really cheap price like $250-ish?

I have knocked the gun into safe mode while dealing with stove pipes and tap/rack/bang malfunctions on the range and dont want to deal with slide mounted safeties in a real fight if I have a choice.

Unfortunately I have not got the word from our new chief if we can carry personal weapons from the approved fire arms list yet? Our dept. had its own rules that superseded the division policy which sucked/sucks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. den888

den888

I have had good success with S&W autos, very reliable and underrated.