S&W 29-2 Value

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Need4Speed, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Just wanted to get the ball rolling on this conversation, will post some pics tonight..

I just traded for a S&W 29-2, with the 8 3/8" barrel. By looking at the S/N it has a 1980 mfg date. It look like what you would expect from a nearly 40 year old revolver, has scratches in the blu, and it's nearly rubbed off at the tip of the barrel. Probably in typical shape for something that was holstered and used. All the important parts appear to be in good condition.

I have about $600 into it, and more likely than will put a couple boxes of ammo downrange and then probably get rid of it...unless I happen to fall in love with it.

I am kicking around the idea of re-bluing it, or possibly getting a custom cerakote job done to it. If I keep it I want it to look nice. The question is, if I sell it would I be better off leaving it in the original condition??

Current Resident and FullClip like this.
  2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

A quick check on Gun Broker shows asking prices for a 29-2 all over the place, pending condition and what kind of drugs the seller is on.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?Keywords=smith and wesson 29-2&Sort=13

But if it were mine, I woudln't refinish it, evn if I didn't care about the resale value...it would just be paying money to make something worth less and have nothing to do with how the gun works.

Jump, Current Resident and CajunBass like this.

3. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

Refinish ALWAYS hurts value on old S&W revolvers better left with honest wear

4. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

+1 Unless you have a very good reason to do so (the gun will be used while carried aboard a salt water boat) I'd leave the finish as it is. That's a fine handgun with some honest wear.

Current Resident and CajunBass like this.
  5. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

OK, thanks. I thought that might be the case. I'm going to leave it alone, and get some workouts done to my forearms. This thing is a BEAST.

Current Resident likes this.
  6. CajunBass

CajunBass

Good. If you have to ask, "Should I refinish" the answer is NO. If it needs a refinish, you'll KNOW it. :)

mikey357, Ross-in-Pa and FullClip like this.
  7. Current Resident

Current Resident

I'm glad you won't Cerakote. I've never been a fan of that for revolvers.

Glad you got it though, congrats.

FullClip likes this.
  8. bac1023

bac1023

A 29-2 can bring $1500 or over if in mint condition with the presentation case. $600 sounds about right for yours.

I don’t recommend rebluing unless you just want it to look pretty. Cerekote would be a disgrace.

Glockster17 and FullClip like this.
  9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

It's never going to be a "collector's item" if it isn't in mint condition and even in pristine condition, if it was made in 1980 it probably doesn't have a pinned barrel and is not worth as much as one made just a couple of years earlier. But it would be an absolute abomination if it were Cerekoted. With the 8 3/8ths inch barrel I'd place it's value as is closer to $7-750.

I think if you did a GOOD quality re-blue, it wouldn't reduce it's value but it might increase it slightly as long as you were honest about it being refinished. That might matter to some people but a lot of people wouldn't care. But the advantage to refinishing it is that you aren't "Ruining" a rare collectors piece but you're just making in nicer for your own enjoyment and pride in ownership from how it looks.

Hopefully after shooting it, you will fall in love with it an want to keep it. A 29-2 with an 8 3/8th inch barrel is a far better gun than anything S&W makes today.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Borg, all -2’s have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders.

The -3 signified those changes.

FullClip and Borg Warner like this.
  11. porschedog

porschedog

I have a 29 that was nickel plated but was so badly pitted I had it parkerized. It Wasn’t purchased as a safe queen and was way too far gone to be collectible, and was priced right in as is condition ($250) so I’m not overly concerned about what I did to it.

12. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

13. CajunBass

CajunBass

Keep it, as it is. I don't care for the longer barrels, and they generally bring a lower price, but at $600, you're probably still below current retail.

FullClip likes this.
  14. bac1023

bac1023

I think $600 is a fair value given the condition and the fact that you don’t have the original grips.

FullClip likes this.
  15. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Not in too bad a shape at all. However, those grips are hideous!!

I've got a stainless version, No-Dash that's fun to break out of the safe once in a while. It's got some scratches, but I never even think to try to "buff" them out. It's a classic and will only go up in value....but PLEEEEZE...find some decent grips.