close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S.O.S. on Glock 35

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Putok-Glock, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Hi Guys and gals,

I need some help here. The slide of my glock 35 cracked on the breach face at the left side of the firing pin hole. Now the firing pin hole is almost 3x the orig. Here's how it happened yesterday: ammo used is 180gr teflon coated .40SW over 5.3gr VV N240 w/ major PF of 171. Ive been using this load for sometime now and its a safe one in terms of velocity/pressure. The only change in my usual setup was I replaced the orig 17# recoil spring w/ 22# spring made by ISMI purposely to lessen the felt recoil. This resulted to higher slide velocity when returning to lock-up. And the portion that will absorb the majority of the lock-up force is the the breach area. After 58 rnds w/ it, the breach face gave way. Some fellow shooters who were present suggested it may be due to metal fatigue and accelerated by the 22# spring. But upon coming home, I check my list of reloaded and fired ammo thru it and got 26,100 rnds more or less total since last nov2003. And about 40% is major load. In my opinion thats a small quantity to cause severe fatigue on the metal. So the culprit could be the spring. So guys/gals, the orig spring is still the best.

Anyway, my immediate concern now is to find a replacement slide for my g35. Or a used g35 for sale. I need it asap coz I use this g35 in std div. local ipsc match here. Pls help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

edited by P-G:

VV n240 should read VV n340.

Thanks

3. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Sorry to hear about your breach face failure. Have you tried asking the gun store where you bought the G35 if they could facilitate having the slide shipped to Glock Inc. for replacement? That is what other BoGs have done when they had the same misfortune. The process, however, took several months --paperwork, shipping from RP and back, etc.

4. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Thanks Mikey. Ya, Im working on it. Also tried contacting Glock. Unfortunately, they dont have an email address on their site.:( Can you imagine that?!

5. Allegra

Allegra

Pano nang yari yan! bad trip!
    Dun sa isang list ( foreign )a guy suggested baka daw fake glocks ang dumating dito sa pinas
    glocks are legendary for their reliability

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Putok,

Sorry about your gun, long range option is to send it back to Glock for replacement. One year turn around time.

Allegra,

Your statement is a serious concern.

BOGS,

Any ideas how we can authenticate our pistols? Can we just shoot an email to Glock Austria?;Q

7. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Sorry to hear about your Glock. They have a Hong Kong branch.

GLOCK (H.K.) Ltd.
    Unit 3102, China Merchants Tower
    Shun Tak Centre
    168-200 Connaught Road Central
    Hong Kong
    Tel.: +852 2375 - 3858
    Fax.: +852 2654 - 7089

I got the info from their website. Good luck!

8. Allegra

Allegra

9. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Bogs, Thanks for your concern.

1 yr turn around is not an option. I use this g35 2-3x a week. So while loking for a replacement, what I did this morning was fit my g22 slide on the g35 frame and barrel. The fit is perfect and the looks is very rakish (as in aggressive) and futuristic. And I kinda like it very much. I intent to shoot it in a couple of days. Has anybody tried this set-up? I wonder how will the RO's react to this "new" glock entry in std.;Q

10. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

homogenizer sent 2 of his broken slides and both took a year, more or less.

you can email glock HK which mang danny posted : general@glock.com.hk

11. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Dang! Another breech face failure. Sorry to hear that dre. ;P

Try to email glock hong kong. They'd probably ask you to cut your slide in half tapos send mo sa kanila.

Metal heat treat problem yan pag ganyan. It's more prevalent than one would think kasi 'di lang naman sa atin yan nangyayari. Ang bad trip lang, wala tayo'ng malapit na warranty dept for glocks.

Dapat same frame lang ang G22 at G35. I'm not sure about the barrels though. Try mo mag-search dito sa GT on barrel swap. Alam ko kasi sa G17 at G19 hindi interchangeable.

Good luck.

Btw, mag 1911 ka na lang! ;f;c hehehe

12. Taurus

Taurus

The front part of the slide of my G19 cracked about March 2003. Got the replacement slide around December of the same year. E-mail Glock HK and a form will be faxed by Glock HK to you where you have to give an estimated round count and brand of ammo used, and fax it back to Glock HK. I shipped the slide cut in half to Glock HK. The replacement slide had the same serial number. I suggest you examine the warranty carefully. If I recall correctly, the warranty is voided if reloads are fired or if non-Glock parts are used.

13. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Tsk tsk tsk...did homogenizer get near your gun? ;f

Report it to Glock and don't tell them that you were using reloads.

14. jasonub

jasonub

wow you shoot more than i did for a year. anyway its time to sell it and buy a 1911 or an hk;f

15. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

P.G.-- how often do you dry-fire? I would imagine the increased strength of your recoil spring would have very little effect on your breech face. Almost all of the breech face failures we had are attributed to excessive dry-firing.

16. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Thanks BoGs. Seems we have a lot of info to share.

Alexii - I used to dry fire it ave. 1 hr daily. But months ago I got a shooters' elbow (similar to tennis') on my left arm so I virtually stopped about 2 months ago. If its about slamming the slide on an empty chamber, it cant be. I use snap caps and I retract the slide only about 3/4" back just to reset the trigger and wont let it return on its own.
    Jason - ya I shoot a lot. Mas addict yata ako sa putok...ng baril ;)

Guys, you mean there are others w/ same problem? who's Homogenizer? what was the probable cause of his problem?
    Taurus, what was the cause of your prob? Why did glock require you to send it cut in half. di ba pwede buo? Were you asked to pay for the replacement?
    Mc, seems you've come across lot of same problem already. might try 1911 style though. Is this problem unique to glocks or its got amplified because replacement parts are hard to find unlike 1911s. Meaning, Ive known 1911 pistols also crack on frame, slide, etc. but didnt get this kind of attention coz the owner, intead of crying over it (as I do, he he) found it easier to buy a replacement. Just trying to be objective here. No bias intended. But you could be right about the heat treatment thing. And as to swapping uppers. I checked it in glockmeister, g22 and 35, its ok. But g17 and 19 cant do. they have different frames. g17 and 34, yes.
    ppts - Thanks for the email address. Ive been looking for it.

Does anybody want/need to sell an old gock35?

17. vega

vega

P-G - It's not about the empty slide homing on an empty chamber. Its the striker hitting the breech face with an empty chamber. It happened to one or some of the BOGS. That's why when there's a newbie asking if he needs to use snap caps we just advice him to use one.

If you do a search you might be able to find the pics. Your load doesn't have anything to do with that.

vega

18. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I've come across several info of the same failures sa BE forums. The problem with glocks, or any fully-plastic framed pistol is repairing it. Wala kasi tayo'ng warranty dito sa 'Pinas.

With a 1911, since steel, pag mey crack tigweld lang ang katapat.

Btw, what's the fist 3 letters ng serial mo dre?

19. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Well, the famous homogenizer is the guy who broke 2 G17 slides, both breechface failures. ;f

20. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Vega, I alwys use snap caps. If only i have a digital camera I'll share w/ you a pic of it. The damage on the outside portion is far larger than the one on the inside firing pin channel. Parang natuklap ba. Gets mo? Indication that the failure was caused most probably by a force coming from the outside, i.e. breech face forcibly banging on the shell head when chambering a round. But your analysis could be correct, the striker repeatedly hitting the inside of the breech resting on an empty chamber, hence the area is virtually unsupported.

Mc, its FAS. I tried to authenticate it but got no luck. And you're right, we lack technical and after market support here from glock.

I have a glock 34 I used to shoot in Prod. div. Its round count is very much higher than this g35. And also dry fired it a lot. THe spring I used is the orig 17# all thru out. Until now its a-ok.