S.M.A.R.T. error message

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Sgt. Schultz, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

How can I get rid of this error message? I’m working on a Compaq Presario V5209US that has the following S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) error at system startup ... "SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure. Your hard disk drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, backup contents and replace this hard disk. Press F1 to continue."

After deleting temp and unnecessary files I ran defrag (several times) and I’ve used the S.M.A.R.T. hard drive self test in the system BIOS and the drive passes all the tests but there seems to be no way to reset or disable this message. According to HP/Compaq web site if the drive passes all of the tests the hard drive is not damaged ... yet the message remains.

2. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

3. Sgt. Schultz

It’s not on this system ... unless it's hidden and I can’t find it. I’ve tried every key combination imaginable and I can’t find it.

4. srhoades

srhoades

HP's I believe are F1 or F2 to enter the BIOS during boot, sometimes shift F1 or F2. If it's a Compaq made before the HP takeover I think its F9 or F10.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

Run the drive's manufacturer's diagnostic tests. It sounds like that drive is about to go even though it passed the self test. The other thing you can try is rename the drive but I bet it's on the way out. Also make sure the drive is properly recognized.

6. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

+1

I'd make sure I had a good backup and have a replacement HDD on standby.

7. Sgt. Schultz

"I’ve used the S.M.A.R.T. hard drive self test in the system BIOS..." entering the BIOS is not the problem.

8. Sgt. Schultz

I did run the manufactures tests and the drive passed. I found several other users on different boards looking for a solution to the same problem. One of them also said that his drive passed and he still gets the error messages. He’s a college student and can’t afford to replace the drive or send the laptop back for “repairs” like HP claims is needed … he’s been living with the error message for almost two years!

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

S.M.A.R.T. is a reliable as the weather. It was a poorly designed and never fully implemented standard. Different companies have varying levels of S.M.A.R.T. capabilities.

Try the HP/Compaq web site for tech notes on the issue.

Drives that have been tagged for failure have run for months without any further issues or data loss. It is a poor system. Look on GRC.com for a write up on how dumb S.M.A.R.T. really is!

Try Spinrite 6.0 to fix the drive if you want to be sure.

www.grc.com

;) :thumbsup: :supergrin:

10. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

Another diagnostic you can try is Speedfan's SMART In depth diagnostic report.

It sends the SMART info to a server and compares it to other identical drives information that have been submitted before by other people. A report on the drive health is then given. It's almost instant.

The hardware monitoring might not work on your system(uses a few mainstream monitoring chips), but the SMART diagnostic should.

www.almico.com/speedfan.php