Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Liberty Safe (about 8 years old) with an S&G D-Drive electronic lock. Recently some of the numbers don't respond/beep right away. Have already swapped out for a new battery/

I've already reprogrammed to use numbers on the keypad I haven't used before...they work fine.

Anyone know if this is just a wear-n-tear problem on the ones that are a problem or are indicative of the entire keypad failing?

I don't mind having the new combo, just don't want to get in a situation where I can't open the safe. FWIW - this one does NOT hold my SD firearms and so rapid access is not an issue.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Reprogram it back to the old numbers and see if it does it again. If so, I'd guess it's those specific numbers' contacts. Not familiar with the keypads (as I have a combination dial on my GS) are they totally flat? or are there actual buttons under the digital pad?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reprogram it back to the old numbers and see if it does it again. If so, I'd guess it's those specific numbers' contacts. Not familiar with the keypads (as I have a combination dial on my GS) are they totally flat? or are there actual buttons under the digital pad?
They are totally flat; membrane style pad.

FYI - without reprogramming it back, I did try pressing the buttons after I made the change and it was the same; difficult to get them to respond whereas the "new" numbers were fine.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would replace the keypad. But it’s likely a button wear issue.

S&G is the standard in locks, I’m sure they’ll get you sorted for a small fee.
I thought so too. I have a Cabelas branded Liberty Franklin 25 with the S&G D drive and it's perfect but Liberty has switched to SecuRam ProLogic locks now. Wonder why?

·
AAAMAD
31,570 Posts
I thought so too. I have a Cabelas branded Liberty Franklin 25 with the S&G D drive and it's perfect but Liberty has switched to SecuRam ProLogic locks now. Wonder why?

Probably more price than anything else. They tend to buy locks in batches.

You can easily install a new digital lock yourself. It’s very straightforward if you have the door open

·
Registered
984 Posts
There usually is a wire cluster or a ribbon cable connecting the key pad to the circuit board with a connector on it.
Try pulling out and reseating the connector, that was my fix on my S&G lock.

oceanwarrior

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI - contacted S&G (chat session) and they confirmed it was the keypad probably being worn out on some keys (hey, I checked and it's only 8 years old). They didn't see any problem with my continuing to use it with the new combo that doesn't use any of the old keys.

Also, my keypad can be replaced with the safe closed, so if it does fail I don't have to call someone.

Meanwhile I'm going to order a replacement keypad.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Hi OP, i have a Liberty safe that came with the electronic S&G lock. I started having problems with it as well so i had a locksmith install a S&G dial lock and now don’t have to worry about electronic lock troubles. It was about $250.00 total to have a locksmith come out to the house.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
FYI - contacted S&G (chat session) and they confirmed it was the keypad probably being worn out on some keys (hey, I checked and it's only 8 years old). They didn't see any problem with my continuing to use it with the new combo that doesn't use any of the old keys.

Also, my keypad can be replaced with the safe closed, so if it does fail I don't have to call someone.

Meanwhile I'm going to order a replacement keypad.
That was my first thought after reading your OP. Those keypads don’t last forever. Glad it wasn’t more serious.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have a Liberty Safe (about 8 years old) with an S&G D-Drive electronic lock. Recently some of the numbers don't respond/beep right away. Have already swapped out for a new battery/

I've already reprogrammed to use numbers on the keypad I haven't used before...they work fine.

Anyone know if this is just a wear-n-tear problem on the ones that are a problem or are indicative of the entire keypad failing?

I don't mind having the new combo, just don't want to get in a situation where I can't open the safe. FWIW - this one does NOT hold my SD firearms and so rapid access is not an issue.
Because ALL your firearms were lost in a boat accident....riiiight?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts