close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

S&G dial lock "day lock"?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by njl, Oct 11, 2012.

1. njl

njl

I had to pick a few locks today (we bought some surplus gear that didn't come with keys) and was just in my gun safe and wondered how good the key lock on the S&G dial was. IIRC, they market the key lock on the dial as both a means to keep someone from guessing combinations (can't spin the dial) and as a way to provide fast access to the safe (after dialing the combo, you can lock it at 0 and the safe is locked...but if you unlock the key lock and dial it back to 80, the safe opens).

Well, I was very disappointed to find that I could pick the key lock on the safe dial more easily and repeatedly than the other locks I did today. I suck at lock picking...and the safe dial's key lock only takes me a couple of seconds to unlock or relock.

The message? Do not rely on the key lock on your safe's combo dial as a day lock if anyone you don't trust with your guns (or whatever else is in there) will have any access to your safe.

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

3. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I have the same lock but don't rely on that feature anyway. Good to know, though.

4. njl

njl

I've occasionally used it when temporarily removing guns from the big safe (for cleaning or to use a barrel to chamber check reloads). I definitely wouldn't leave the house with it set that way.