Glock Talk banner

S&b 357sig

23881 Views 78 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  Teddybear
Has anyone had problems with Sellier&Bellot ammo in 357 sig?. I took my new 32 to the range and averaged 1 mis-fire per 10 rounds. Had good hit on the primer, but no go.;P
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
;2 AFTER NUMEROUS EMAILS, FAXES, AND MESSAGES LEFT ON ANSWERING MACHINES, S&B, AS OF THIS DATE, (07/22/05) HAS NOT MADE ANY TYPE OF CONTACT WITH ME IN REF. TO THE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH THEIR 357 SIG AMMO.:steamed:

· Registered
575 Posts
I would stay away from S&B ammo. I had serious trouble with it about a year ago in 7.62x25 and the brass was so soft the TT-33 extractor would chew up chunks out of it. Of course, I called, gave lot number and "they will look into it". Apparently didn't learn the lesson so I wasted 15 bucks on a 50 round box of 357 Sig 140 gr. I had 3 FTF's and 2 FTE's out of my stock G33. It was also super-filthy. Never again.

· Registered
805 Posts
last weekend with my new 226 in 357 Sig I bought from CDNN in great condition and ran through 2 boxes, 100 rds without the first misfire and my ammo was 2002 purchase before my all expense govt paid vacation to Afghanistan. I ended up working 12 hours a day for 10 months but did not have to pay for the plane ticket. Shoots good to me. Roy

· 32 shooter
39 Posts
I never really saw this sticky till the other day When I got some S&B from a guy locally for $11 a box. I figured I cant go wrong. Then I read all these stories so I was figured I would have some problems at the range. Sure enough the averge was abot 1 out of 10 didnt go off but still didnt ruin my day.. After looking at the rage ammo prices Id probably buy more for 10 or 11 dollars a box.. The range had S&B 9mm for $11.96 :shocked:

If the price it right I'd say use it, but DON'T trust it.

· 1911 lover
8,373 Posts
I am glad I saw this post... I am running out of blazer in 357 that I stockpiled several years ago... Blazer had issues with setback that raised chamber pressure a bunch and destroyed a lot of guns, but it worked perfectly for me..

I think I purchased 5000 rounds of red box american eagle / federal ammo and that is also about gone... so I am looking for a good deal on 5000- 10000 rounds of 357 to keep on hand.

I don't shoot 357 sig in competition any more, so a few thousand rounds currently will last me several years instead of several months.... like it used to.

Anyone have some suggestions ???? I am looking for a plinking round, not self defense.

· US ARMY STRATCOM 1969 - 1971
25 Posts
Well, I'm really high on Speer Lawman ammo. I find it to be the best general shooting ammo around. American Eagle has always worked well for me, too.

FWIW

· US ARMY STRATCOM 1969 - 1971
25 Posts
Well, this afternoon I fired another box of S&B .357 Sig in my G31 with no problems whatsoever (I've had a Glockmeister extra power striker spring in the G31 since Christmas '04). FWIW

· Registered
76 Posts
I'll go with what Texas Tea said. I have a G-31 but do not shoot it much. When I do, it's either S&B or handloads. Have not noticed a fail-to-fire problem.

However, presuming that the problem exists and that:
..it is unlikely S&B would use different primers for 357sig;
..the problem is reported in different makes of gun;
..the problem is not shared by other calibers;
as i was reading thru the thread it occurred to me that the salient commonality is the bottleneck shape.

Speer #13 reloading manual contains the following paragraph, which has been a puzzlement to me:

"This cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, not the shoulder. Check case length often when firing full-power loads and trim if necessary."

Why would the 357sig headspace on the case mouth when bottleneck cartridges conventionally headspace on the shoulder?

The RCBS seating/crimp die seems to have a roll crimp rather than taper crimp. Why so, if indeed the 357sig headspaces on the case mouth?

Common wisdom is that bottleneck cartridges which headspace on the shoulder lengthen with repeated use, and may need trimming; straight wall cases which headspace on the case mouth shorten with repeated use and do not need trimming. This does not square with the statement from the Speer book.

· Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problems with the S&B stuff in my 32, would sometimes get 3 or 4 misfires per mag. I installed a Wolff extra strength striker spring and that seemed to help some, but did not eliminate the problem.

Bought a SIG 226 about a month ago, in about 500 rounds (burning up my remaining supply of the S&B crap) I have not had a single failure to fire. Maybe it's a tighter chamber, maybe harder firing pin hits, I don't know.

The S&B stuff does leave a lot of unburned powder (or some such debris) in the gun.

The SIG has been 100% reliable, by the way.

· Registered
70 Posts
Has anybody used S&B .357 sig brass for reloading?
I'm thinking that for misfires there could be two reasons:
1. hard primer
2. brass out of spec
So if you did any reloading with S&B brass and had no problems it's probably only primer issue (primers to hard or not tall enough).

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Originally posted by guinnessdog
Bought a SIG 226 about a month ago, in about 500 rounds (burning up my remaining supply of the S&B crap) I have not had a single failure to fire. Maybe it's a tighter chamber, maybe harder firing pin hits, I don't know.

The S&B stuff does leave a lot of unburned powder (or some such debris) in the gun.

The SIG has been 100% reliable, by the way.
My P229 has also been 100% reliable and I haven't tried it with my G31 yet.......

140 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head Clem.

After reading and thinking about it for some time now, I really think the .357 SIG is about the best autoloading pistol cartridge in the world. It's got high velocity and penetration in a small package with relatively modest recoil.
To quote a local gun shop owner referring to .357 SIG.... "It's a REAL SCREAMER!"

· Registered
75 Posts
I've had quite a few misfires with my Glock 32 using S&B ammo. I have also had some with, if I remember correctly, Winchester white box.
I have noted that the primer strikes seem definitely lighter on the duds. I am changing my recoil spring out just in case there is a problem there. I have an internal Lasermax. Perhaps the slid is not going into battery completely when these strikes occur.

· Registered
70 Posts
I'm in testing mode (G31)at the moment. I have reloaded 1000 pieces of once fired range pick-ups for the third time and it looks O.K.
But for the final word more testing is called for.
I'm 8-10x cycle at the moment. I still menage to recover aprox. 750 pieces. It looks that I'm go to go for additional 5-10 cycles. I generaly load at 9 mm Luger level.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.