close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RV Trip to Alaska

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by locnload, Jan 31, 2006.

1. locnload

locnload

I'm thinking of taking a trip into Alaska in the ole RV. I WILL NOT travel without a firearm on board. I know thats not an issue in Alaska, or any of the States I pass through on the way up, but what do you do about Canada? I at least want a shotgun along and would prefer to have a handgun along as well. Any info on ferry boat trips that avoid Canada would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is a way to travel through Canada if guns are locked up that would be ok too. :)

2. Skyhook

Skyhook

You need to contact Canadian customs..

The only way Canadians see gun possession as anything other than perversion is if you are an alien with victim's rights.(Sarcasm off.)

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html#Customs
    Canada
    No "restricted" guns (be careful with this one)
    Form (909E/F)
    ID
    Registration Number
    $25

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/
    Ferries travel from Washington State to Skagway, Alaska or Haines, Alaska. From Skagway or Haines you must then drive through a portion of Canada to get back into Alaska at Tok. So the ferry won't help you at all.

;F to Alaska Pilgram, the grizzles need to be fed.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Watch the barrel length requirements; what's okay here is NOT always okay there, even on rifles and shotguns. I can't say what the regs are currently, because I haven't been up there in over 10 years, but once upon a time an acquaintance lost a shotgun at Canadian Customs because the barrel was too short. Just a riot gun down here, but (at the time, at least) a no-no up there.

Last I heard, passing through Canada with handguns of any type was simply not allowed, and I think HP/JHP handgun ammo and certain high-capacity magazines were also prohibited. I recommend being very specific in your requests for info, describing all guns by caliber, type of action, barrel length, and magazine capacity, if you want to be absolutely sure.

Good luck and have a good trip! Truely beautiful country up there...

5. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

6. major

major Rejected member

I've always heard that you cannot take handguns into or through Canada at all.

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

For certain, approved-in-advance-by-the-Govt handgun competitions, it CAN be done, but even for those it can be a pain in the butt if you run into the wrong Customs person(s). They used to allow pass-through travel with handguns, primarily going to Alaska, but I believe this was suspended quite a while ago (15+ years?), probably permanently.

Unless the new PM could push it through again, maybe? Hmmm...

Dream, dream, dream...