close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rust Proofing a Shotgun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crater, Oct 6, 2003.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

Recently bought a new Mossberg 500 and planning on keeping in my car trunk for unexpected hunting/target shooting with my brother who always wants to go right after work. What is the best way to protect the barrell inside and out from rust?

Thanks in advance for any replies since this is my first shotgun

2. noway

noway

Will all of my SG have chrome lined bores so I don't have to worry about rusting the bore.

But I always get in the habit of spraying the Birchwood&Casey "Gun sheath" or the "Rusty Duck" spray. They both does a good job of preventing rust and displacing water. You can also place the SG in a barrel sock for even better protection it will keep the SG from getting scratch up from being bounced around and is very easily to remove if the need comes up to use it.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

The gun sock is a great tip.

I've used a product called Clenzoil for quite a while now. It's not greasy and does a great job at protecting from rust. It also works wonders on wood.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth (brigade quartermasters, brownells.com, sentrysolutions.com) all sell it. Was designed for that purpose for the SEALs. Wipe down the whole gun (plastic and everything, it won't harm it) with the cloth, seal the cloth back up in the bag and let the gun dry for a couple minutes. Stick it in a gun sock and you'll be fine. I did this to my 870 and now my Nova SP, no problems. For $10 it's excellent. Just wipe it down again every month or two or if you handle it.