rust on new glocks frame rail

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lbckid19, Feb 4, 2010.

1. lbckid19

lbckid19

first off it is NOT the copper lube. I Aware that copper is used under the nickle, but it doesnt look to much like the picures ive seen of the copper wearing through. If it is rust what should i do, and if left untreated what problems can occur

2. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

How about a picture?

3. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

Did you try cleaning it?

4. cajunman831

cajunman831

dab a lil oil with a cue tip real good.ii wouldn,t try to scrape it just yet.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman

I gotta say that this would be the first and only report of rust on a Glock that I have ever heard.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Lube with CLP and shoot it 500 rounds.
    I got $20 that says the rust will be GONE!

7. vmann

vmann Controller

seriously, you havent seen the pictures of rusted glocks on here before...they will rust, highly unlikely, but they will rust....

in this case, take a pic please...how can you get help on something like this without a pic....

8. lbckid19

lbckid19

i buffed it with a rag and oil for about 30 min, lightly. its gone. i should have thought about that earlier. This is my first gun and im babying it. Im such a wimp. everyone tells me "it's a tool, treat it like one" so from here on out, the g17's my bi**h. but for the record, im 99% sure it was rust. If it was the copper grease it would have come off right away, and if it was the copper that adheres the nickel to the steel it would have just stayed put. So there ya go guys, glocks can rust even straight from the factory, or turners outdoors shop. either way thanks for the advice

9. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

There is no nickle or copper plating on a Glock. Where on the gun was it located? Part of the reason I personally use, sell and endorse Glocks is they are 100% impervious to fowl weather. Even with all the black rubbed off them it is hard to get one to rust given it get's maintained once in awhile.

10. lbckid19

lbckid19

im no expert so this is only hear say i suppose. The frame rails are said to be stainless steel, with a nickle plate to make the slide "slide" easier. The copper is used to "bond" the nickel with the stainless steel so theoretically when your looking at the fraim rails, thats nickel

11. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Shoot it off!

12. James Dean

James Dean

That was funny

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

:agree:

14. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Huh? You mean except for the trigger bar, connector and frame rails there is no nickel plating?

15. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

No, I mean not anywhere. I've ground polished and fooled with all the metal parts on a Glock at one time or another and never noted any plating of any type. The Tennifer treatment transparent and is in the surface layer of the parts; then you get into the base metal. It all looks the same. No copper.

If there was any plating on the frame rail tabs it would wear off in the first box of ammo and leave it prone to rust. The tennifer is that good. I don't think there is any stainless on the gun either. Not sure about that though.

This is why it is so rare to see any rust on a Glock.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  16. Arkhog

Arkhog Slightly Bitter

Forum member Glock-7 called Smyrna and spoke to a tech there. The frame rails are nickel plated with a "copper treatment" under the nickel.

I am sad to report that my new 17 with 100 rounds fired has chipped nickel from the rails. The copper is showing. This may well be my last Glock.

Fowl and foul are not the same.

17. Sammael

Sammael Ich tu dir Weh.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep. Some Glock steel parts are indeed plated.

Big deal. Ask Glock and they'll tell you. It's not like it's a secret.

Matter of fact, in my last armorer class it was mentioned in passing that the plating had again been changed on some of the parts.

For that matter, it was also mentioned that the hardening done to some of the small parts has been changed at times. (The examples given as most recently having been changed were trigger springs and locking block pins.) Revision for improvement, refinement, correction or even just for ease of manufacturing (or changes by vendors) is a fact of life when it comes to firearms makers, you know.

I think it was mentioned in the last class that the current plating of some of the small steel parts (at that time) was a type of Teflon nickel, but that wasn't one of the things I felt it was critical to jot down in my notes. The parts will come from the factory however they're currently being produced when I order them as an armorer. I save my attention for actually keeping the guns running and occasionally correcting shooter, ammunition or actual gun problems if they occur.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  19. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

You know I just looked at my 2007 HVT*** numbered Glock. I filed and polished the top of my locking block when it was new to help reduce some peening I was getting and never noticed any discoloration. Since reading this thread I reinspected that pistol to look at my rails and though the rails are perfect the locking block with 4000 rounds of full powered loads is showing a hint of copper color where I filed on them the most. I have heavily modified trigger bars and never noticed any copper there. My stock connector is still silver as can be.

Seems like the more I learn the less I know.

In light of the plating, if it is on all the small parts, as far as I know copper, nickle nor chrome can rust. If you believe it was rust that is good enough for me. Had you bought it from me I would have given you a new pistol.

20. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

Arkhog,
    When your pistols hard parts get so worn out it falls apart or won't run anymore give me a shout. I want to buy it.