close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rust on my new 870...what did i do wrong?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by wrx04, May 26, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04

I just got a brand new 870 this year for Christmas, and when i took it out to go shooting today there was rust all over the receiver and outside of the barrel. What the heck did i do wrong?

The gun has only had about 200 rounds through it. Last time i used it was May 1st and it was perfect at that time. I got home, ran a bore snake and a couple patches through it and put a light coat of remoil on the receiver and barrel. The gun was placed in a field&stream carry case and stored under my bed until today. I take it out to go trap shooting and it looks like garbage:shocked:. What the heck? Is this fixable?

I tried posting pics on here but it says the file size is too big and i'm a total tard when it comes to computers, so these links will let you see what i'm talking about. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://img411.imageshack.us/i/img0715q.jpg/
    http://img33.imageshack.us/i/img0714ap.jpg/
    http://img580.imageshack.us/i/img0718r.jpg/
    http://img580.imageshack.us/i/img0722.jpg/
    http://img198.imageshack.us/i/img0721ad.jpg/

2. DrunkenParrot

DrunkenParrot THE RESISTANCE

here you go.....
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

Well Remington has bad finishes on the 870, I have one rust just like that a few years ago. But look on the bright side, now u can get it refinished in duracoat, or what ever else you want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010

3. wrx04

wrx04

Thanks for fixing that, parrot....appreciate it man. Didn't really expect it to rust that quick after hearing everyone say how rugged/reliable the 870 was.

Oh well, might have to send it to AIP to get parkerized....the 870 i bought from them is still looking brand new.

4. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Humidity is not your friend. I purchased a revolver on layaway that came back with surface rust. A good scrubbing with an oil rag took it off. I'd suggest a humidity controlled environment as opposed to a case, i.e. gun safe.

5. dc2integra

dc2integra

humidity is a shotguns worst enemy .spray some rem oil on the outside and inside should prevent it from rusting

6. wrx04

wrx04

Yeah, need to invest in a safe for sure. I did scrub it and it came off, but there was still some very fine pitting. If its parkerized it shouldn't rust....right?

7. dc2integra

dc2integra

also rem oil should take it off try some asap

8. GlocksterPaulie

GlocksterPaulie Perfectionist

Stop pissing on it.:supergrin: Wipe it down good and get a safe, don't leave them in a case or bag for too long.

Paulie:wavey:

9. jeager

jeager

Is that case airtight?
    I'm guessing condensation.

10. wrx04

wrx04

Haha. Alright, i won't piss on it anymore.:whistling:

11. aippi

aippi

The lining of your gun case is the culprit. I only use gun cases to transport, never store a weapon. The lining pulled the oil right from the metal and thus the rust. If you are going to store it in a case, put it in a treated gun sock first or find cases with the right type of lining. The guys on this site can help with that as I really know very little about gun case for storage.

You mentioned you have one of my AI&P Tactical's so that makes you a client. So if you want this one parked, you get a good rate.

12. wrx04

wrx04

I think thats where i made the mistake....the case isn't airtight, its a soft fabric case. I bet moisture got trapped in there and just ate away at it. It won't be in that case anymore.

13. wrx04

wrx04

That makes sense. The humidity here in Louisville hit 100% a few days already, so that probably doesn't help too much.

Yeah, i bought one of your basic I guns a few months ago. The thing is great and i'm very happy with it. Let me know the price and you can parkerize this one too. Probably gonna have you upgrade the internals and put on a recoil pad while you're at it. Let me know how/what i need to do to ship it and we'll get it set up.

Stupid question....but it won't rust once its parkerized, right?

Thanks again.

14. aippi

aippi

You have my e-mail or can get it from the web site.

No it will not rust. You still have to keep oil on the weapon as the parkerizing is just a pourous finish that holds the oil.

15. Megastar 10

Megastar 10

One thing that I have found that will really do a nice job off cleaning off light rust is Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. It is a clear gel and when used on a cotton rag and gentle rubbing I have used it to successfully remove light rust. I would apply it to the areas with rust and let it sit for a few minutes and then gently rub the rusted areas with a clean cotton rag. If you have areas like on the rib that a rag can't easily get into use a nylon brush (like a soft toothbrush) with gentle motion.

Blue Wonder also makes a gun blue that is supposed to blend in with factory bluing. I have some but have never used it. I have heard positive results from people that have though.

16. vafish

vafish

17. wrx04

wrx04

18. vafish

vafish

Walmart has them as well with the Winchester name on them.

19. Mofeen

Mofeen

I like the RemOil wipes. You can get them at Wal Mart or Meijer for $4 for about 12. I use 1 after every use, and I get a nice oil coated firearm with no mess and no rust.

That should be the commercial. Hah.

20. msoprano

msoprano

Those wipes are very handy. I keep some in my truck, range bag and house.