Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem over the last year or so with specks of rust on the slide of my Colt lightweight Commander. Most of the rust has occurred on the side closest to my body. It has been my routine CCW for a few years and I hate not carrying it. I carry it OWB in a Blackhawk leather pancake holster. The gun is cleaned regularly with Hoppe's #9 synthetic and taken out of the holster at night. The gun was made in 2016.

Does anybody else have a problem with steel CCW guns rusting?

I have recently started using Safariland Breakfree CLP as a final wipe down after cleaning. Are there better products to prevent rust?

Thanks to all in advance.

Reactions: Lt. Donn

·
Registered
37,223 Posts
Weather & individual sweat & holster will determine rust on blue steel guns. I would ditch the leather, wipe the gun down with a prevent if you carry daily. Hoppes is a ckeaner, you need a rust prevent. Plenty of choices. I use LPS, but lots of choices.
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=12616

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. I have ordered Eezox and will come back to the group if the problem is not resolved.

Reactions: Spats McGee

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I used to carry lightweight Colt Commander. Got caught in some light rain and I wasn’t careful enough about wiping it down. A week later the thumb safety was rusted in place. It took a careful nerve racking whack to free it up.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
On my blued guns and magazines I'll typically use the spray and let it sit for few hrs minimum you can do it over night if you feel like it. Then I'll use a paper towel to lightly wipe the excess off the exterior. Then I'll use the squeeze can on the normal lubrication points . The squeeze can is little more runny than I like but I still use it .

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,824 Posts
I have had a problem over the last year or so with specks of rust on the slide of my Colt lightweight Commander. Most of the rust has occurred on the side closest to my body. It has been my routine CCW for a few years and I hate not carrying it. I carry it OWB in a Blackhawk leather pancake holster. The gun is cleaned regularly with Hoppe's #9 synthetic and taken out of the holster at night. The gun was made in 2016.

Does anybody else have a problem with steel CCW guns rusting?

I have recently started using Safariland Breakfree CLP as a final wipe down after cleaning. Are there better products to prevent rust?

Thanks to all in advance.
When one of the 5 Sheriff's I served under allowed 1911's on the street, the armorer reported a 100% increase in maint issues vs the Glocks...mainly surface rust and internal lube issues...most issues were attributed to our proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and high humidity...and the lack of daily pre-maint by the deputies

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Steel rusts...that's all there is to it. And while "CLP" (Clean, Lubricate, Protect) products are all the rage, the best CLP will never be better than the best cleaner, followed by the best lubricant and, where lubricant is not needed/desired, the best protection. I've found a regular wipe-down with a sentry cloth to be very beneficial. Also, by a second leather holster and alternate so that you "wear one while you air one". Leather will, over time, pick up and hold your sweat...not a good thing.

Reactions: BillKilgore
1 - 14 of 14 Posts