close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rust in tank

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Gunzz, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Gunzz

Gunzz

I have an 11 year old ZX11. It sat for about 2 years with a full tank of fuel. Recently, I took it off teh hands of the previous owner for a good price. The inside of the tank has some rust, and I can hear sediment in the bottom of the tank. I drained the old fuel via the bottom drain hose. I am wondering if the tank is salvageable and usable, with the powdery rust inside? I rinsed it out with some cheap fuel to flow the rust downward toward the drain hose.
    I also see some gas leaking out of the little fuel level sensor underneath the tank.

Should I try an inline fuel filter at the petcock to be safe? Is there room to install a very small filter? The ones I see are pretty long at 1.5 inches long.

Any ZX11 owners with advice?

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

My advice:

IF you install a fuel filter, be sure to carry a spare and the necessary tools to change it out... always.

:thumbsup:

3. White Buffalo

White Buffalo No Compromise.

Get some Kreem and fix it right. Could also use POR-15. Just take the tank off, put some soapy water in it, along with some nuts and bolts, and swish it around. It'll knock the loose rust off, then use the POR. OR, use the KREEM package and the etcher will knock the rust out, then re-seal. THat's what I'd use. Wait, that's what I do use anytime I build a bike.

4. JAMES77257

JAMES77257 Large Member

+1

5. kawi_zzr

kawi_zzr

I wouldn't feel comfortable by just fixing something like that... Crap in your fuel line isn't something you want to play with...
    I'd vote to find a new one, either from a place that deals in OEM parts or hell.... Ebay it!