Russia's new fighter jet:

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Fiery Red XIII, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g1pM1xcmleffdDk4xv1LGakTO_Cw

MOSCOW — Russia on Friday unveiled a new fighter aircraft touted as a rival of the US F-22 stealth jet and developed amid the highest secrecy as part of a plan to modernize the armed forces.

The fifth generation fighter, manufactured by the Sukhoi company and known as the PAK FA, made a maiden flight of just over 45 minutes at the firm's home base of Komsomolsk-on-Amur in the Far East region.

"The flight lasted 47 minutes during which all the aircraft's systems were tested. It was successful," Sukhoi spokeswoman Olga Kayukova told AFP. "This is the first time it has been unveiled."

Pictures broadcast on state television showed the fighter jet -- which has been kept closely under wraps for years -- flying at altitude and then landing on a snow-surrounded runway.

"The aircraft performed well in all stages of the flight programme. It is easy and comfortable to pilot," said Sergei Bogdan, the pilot for the flight, in comments published on the Sukhoi website.

The new jet has the capability of carrying out long flights above the speed of sound as well as simultaneously attacking different targets.

Russia is currently embarking on a major programme to re-equip its military, not least the air force which is still using largely Soviet-era equipment and suffers from frequent crashes.

The new fighter, which has been in development since the 1990s, is due to enter the armed forces in 2015, Russian news agencies said.

The first flight of the PAK FA (Prospective Aviation System of Frontline Aviation) is being seen in Russia as a major boost for the military after the project was hit by repeated delays over the last years.

"There is no doubt that the plane is needed," the ex-commander of the Russian air force, Anatoly Kornukov, told the Interfax news agency.

"Our Su-27 and MiG-29 planes are good but have aged. They are 20 or more years old and it's time to have something as a replacement," he said.

He said the new plane could easily stand comparison with the US F-22, also a fifth generation stealth fighter.

"It's going to be no worse than an F-22. I've been in an F-22 and I know."

Russia's campaign to modernize its military has been marred by repeated setbacks with new equipment, above all a string of failed tests of its new Bulava sea-based intercontinental nuclear-capable missile.

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved. More »
    ------------------------

Red

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

They will have one or two or five mock-ups max. for five years.

3. nmk

nmk

4. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Wonderful !
    And this 'administration' throws away the F-22, for which we have already paid for the development.....:upeyes:

:steamed:

5. dakrat

dakrat

its not the plane, its the pilot :). the F-15 retired without a loss and its a very old design

6. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

You knew that they would come up with something eventually that might match the F-22.

8. moeman

moeman

I have two points:

1. Don't underestimate Russia: They are the worlds 2nd largest exporter of oil and the biggest exporter of natural gas. Now that they don't have to prop up Eastern Europe and dead beat areas that were part of the USSR they are swimming in cash.

In fact, steath technology was built by Americans who saw its potential from a Russian scientists paper on the fundamentals of this technology.

2. Don't worry about the f-22 too much. We are moving forward on the F-35.

Those of us old enough remember the B-1 bomber and all the misplaced efforts to save it when Carter was canceling it. Bob Dornan made a political career out of this and was known as "B-1 Bob".

What "B-1 Bob" didn't know iand Carter did is that steath technology was already in use and the B-2 bomber was on the way. The B-1 was obviated by this advancement. Good for Bob's career...bad for the nation to spend on this particular bomber.

In April 2009 the US Department of Defense proposed to cease placing new orders for the F-22 so this isn't the result of Obama.

You think the DOD might know about future technologies before the public?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  9. Pancho 12

Pancho 12 I'm thirsty...

Unless production is bought/financed by China or India.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised it actually got built. Sukhoi has been moving the unveiling out for years. It was turning into a joke.

There is no way that plane is anywhere near as stealthy as a Raptor. From the back and bottom it doesn't look much improved over a Flanker. The air data sensors aren't flush.

In this video, at the end when the pilot is climbing out, you can see the skin of the aircraft...bare metal and rivets. So I assume they'll use some kind of radar absorbant coating. Generations behind the Raptor and Lightning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fN4fVoFdY

When the Russians are talking "reasonable prices", that should tell you something. You generally get what you pay for. I also don't think Sukhoi is on the same level as Lockheed when it comes to manufacturing stealth aircraft with VERY tight tolerances.

10. 390ish

390ish

That is a fine looking jet.

11. Mr.Niceguy

Mr.Niceguy

In Soviet Russia, the plane flies you!

12. moeman

moeman

I don't think all the expert Zero pilots would say the same when the Hellcat came out and inexperienced US fliers could take out their better trained adversaries due to a shift n technology...

Or the expert Hawker Hurricane pilots when the Fw-190 came out
    Or the expert Me-109 when the P-51 came out

You get the point...

That said, I hope our boys get the best training and equipment bar none.

13. adamg01

adamg01

I never have doubted the Russians technology. Their biggest enemy is theirselves. They have always had corrupt and poor leadership. I am not impressed with my research on their military training doctrine.

The Chinese is the one country that does kind of put the fear in me though. Take nukes out of it and I don't think we could hold them off with their money, plus man power.

14. Pancho 12

Pancho 12 I'm thirsty...

Sukhoi has been manufacturing thirty year old designs with thirty year old techniques...they won't out of the blue come up with a Raptor killer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  15. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Seriously? If they had not retired the F-15, do you think its record would just go on and on?!?!?

16. adamg01

adamg01

I am not saying it is one the same field with the Raptor. I don't think a fighter will be for at least 5-10 years. I just meant that Russia should put more emphasis on leadership, training, and tactics. They have always had great technology. Second to only the US of course.

17. DaveCharlie09

DaveCharlie09

Russia has aircraft much more advanced than this. Just like when we finally publicly anounced our f117 and B2 Stealth. Sukhoi designs some of the finest airframes known to mankind. Russians, afterall, were the first to come up with the Space Shuttle idea. Buran. I've also heard they have a classified airborn thing that can only be described as "Object". Watch some of the videos of the Su-47 doing High Alpha manuevers, very impressive. Thrust Vectoring seems to be their strong point. Don't under-estimate the Ruskies.

18. Pancho 12

Pancho 12 I'm thirsty...

I would put several other countries ahead of Russia as far as military technology. Britain, Israel, France, Japan, Germany. Russia hasn't had the money to do anything much for going on twenty years. They're still essentially the old Soviet military, only smaller. What new technology they do come out with is only deployed in small numbers.

Look at what happened in Georgia. Did that look like a 21st century military that invaded?

Flankers and Akulas don't match Typhoons and Astutes. We'll see about the T-50, but I think it's probably closer to a SuperHornet than a Raptor or Lightning.

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

It's not just he airplane that makes a difference. It's how much money can you afford to spend on giving flight time to your pilots so they can be trained to be the best they can be. In previous conflicts there have been times when the USA kicked butt largely because they went up against pilots who had FAR less flight experience. At several thousand bucks per flight hour, not everyone can afford to keep their pilots up to speed.

This is one reason why allowing our economy get so weak is actually a national security problem in the making.

20. Pancho 12

Pancho 12 I'm thirsty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZWsaJDc8PI

Looks good at airshows. Not really capable of that in a real fight, and of questionable value anyway.

Remember, the Russians are looking to sell their planes. The Raptor isn't for sale.